25th anniversary Pokémon stream - Diamond and Pearl remakes and a new adventure in Sinnoh!

minibois

Summary

On 27 February 1996, Pokémon Red and Green released in Japan, marking tomorrow (as of writing this) as the 25th anniversary of one of the largest multi-media franchises in the world.

Today The Pokémon Company held a Pokémon Presents livestream, which they had not announced what they should show beforehand.

The stream:

The stream started with an intro, showing many of the different games, TCG and more throughout the eras.

Pokémon Company CEO and President Ishihara introduced another member of the team, who would talk about same of the upcoming games.

After showing some progression on the previously announced Pokémon Snap (see link below for full news article on that), they then cut to "something new", which turned out to be the first (teaser) trailer for the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (released 2007, for the Nintendo DS) remakes:

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl.

These games showed an art-style sort of inbetween the original games and the current Pokémon games, with a 3D game, with more cartoon-y (Chibi) artstyle.

The release of these games will be late 2021 and I would personally expect we get another trailer and information in the near future (just like we had with Pokémon Snap).

image.thumb.png.cf6a466ad89e6781a81bd7645c16c5d4.png

The game will be made by ILCA and notably not by the Game Freak company, responsible for the mainline Pokémon games. The directors will be Yuichi Uedo of ILCA and Junichi Masuda of Game Freak (whom has a lot of experience directing the games, including the original Diamond and Pearl). 

Pokémon Legends: Arceus

Developed by Game Freak - responsible for the mainline Pokémon games - Legends: Arceus will be a different swing compared to the rest of the Pokémon series.

This game will take place in Sinnoh - where Diamond and Pearl also took place - but from a time before. The region will seem similar, but different. 

It will feature Rowlet, Cyndquil and Oschawott, which were likely brought over from another region, as the voice over suggests.

image.thumb.png.4633b7d336d5af5642bc4deaac355b46.png

This game in is much more similar to Pokémon Sword and Shield and will revolve around making the first Sinnoh PokéDex, being one of the first to inhabit the region and find its Pokémon. 

image.thumb.png.0ecb61e0d1f1e40c3a90f3b03f31f132.png

Titular Pokémon Arceus will play a huge part in the game's story. Arceus was notably absent in the original games, at least officially. There was suppose to be an event, but this was deemed too confusing for the players, so it's nice to see them include Arceus so heavily here.

This game will launch early 2022.

My thoughts

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

I've been waiting so long for the remakes and can't wait until we get more information!

This Legends game looks awesome too and I feel rejuvenated to get back into the Pokémon series again!

If you have any suggestions, critiques, etc. on this post, please do not hesitate to share them with me, as I want to improve my news sharing ability.

Sources

Previous Pokémon Snap info:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I hope the legends game will be good and also not look so ugly like the recent sword and shield games :p. Certainly interesting hopefully they don't mess it up.

The sinnoh remakes look fun tho not 100% on the chibi artstyle but look fun nonetheless.

Well, it'll be hard for them to do worse than the garbage that's Sword & Shield, but DP remakes are gonna need to stay very close to the originals.

Legends looks neato but the Switch already has problems with open world stuff. 😕

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Well, it'll be hard for them to do worse than the garbage that's Sword & Shield, but DP remakes are gonna need to stay very close to the originals.

Legends looks neato but the Switch already has problems with open world stuff. 😕

Breath of the wild ran pretty good but yeah that footage looked cruuunchy. Those half framerate "distant" (more like 3m away from the player) animations were a big yikes too. We'll see if it gets better but gotta stay realistic it's gamefreak after all.

I don't play new pokemon games. Pokemon stopped for me at Emerald/LG-FR. The absolute onslaught of legendaries and seemingly lazy or uninspired pokemon every generation is tiring. I'd rather they just do a straight remaster and update with the new pokemon and add the worlds as a sort of NG+ deal. Also mega evolutions lol.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

54 minutes ago, minibois said:

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl

NAAAAAAAAANIIIIIIIII?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

I've been waiting so long for the remakes and can't wait until we get more information!

This Legends game looks awesome too and I feel rejuvenated to get back into the Pokémon series again!

YES YES YEEESSSS.

Pokemon Platinum (Diamond/Pearl series) counts as one of my favorite games, probably is my favorite Pokemon game, full-stop!

The flipside of my pronouncing Platinum as my favorite Pokemon game, is that later Pokemon releases felt stale and uninspired (HeartGold/SoulSilver), or too controversial (Black/White/Black 2/White 2).

BRING ON THE CHIBI, I AM ALL FOR IT! (๑و•̀ㅂ•́)و✧

Sharing the same sentiments -- if the new peeps handling the Diamond/Pearl remake dooon't bung it up, this might be the hook that reels me back into the Pokemon franchise. Legends being set in Sinnoh (SINNOH REGION BEST REGION) also gots me interest piqued. 👀...

Holy crap I still can't believe Platinum/Diamond/Pearl was released over 10 years ago. TEN YEARS. I've played through the game sooo many times, but it still doesn't feel antiquated at all (IMO).

[Pinches cheek.]

Ono I'm getting old(er). 😂

If you have any suggestions, critiques, etc. on this post, please do not hesitate to share them with me, as I want to improve my news sharing ability.

minisquish.gif

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

I don't own a switch, probably won't pick one up, but this still makes me irrationally happy.

Pearl was my first modern pokemon game! (I had the original Sapphire as a hand-me-down, but never got as into it).

Full on nostalgia blast, especially that teaser shot.....

Thanks for sharing!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

I'm pretty excited. They can make it in whatever art style they want as long as there's shiny hunting. AS someone who stopped playing after Emerald (never owned a DS) and picked it back up with Let's Go and SwSh, it's pretty fitting the next game picks up where I left off lol. Way more excited for the Legend game though. If it's truly open world I hope they nail it. I think that's been every Pokemon fans dream. SwSh set the foundations for it with the Wild Area now they just need to expand on that and make it a more immersive experience.

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Temtem > Pokémon

People still playing TemTem?

Mod Check GIF - ModCheck - Discover & Share GIFs

That game had sooo much hype for a couple months, all the Pokemon streamers were playing it. Then I just never heard anything about it again lol. I never played it so can't really comment on why it fell off so hard. It looked really cool and fun though.

pokemon died a long time ago, they just keep making the new pokemons be stronger and stronger, leaving the old ones behind, making things like ev training way to easy, at this point it would take a lot to make me care about the new games

1 hour ago, Lord Bloobus said:

I don't play new pokemon games. Pokemon stopped for me at Emerald/LG-FR. The absolute onslaught of legendaries and seemingly lazy or uninspired pokemon every generation is tiring. I'd rather they just do a straight remaster and update with the new pokemon and add the worlds as a sort of NG+ deal. Also mega evolutions lol.

I’d originally planned to stop at HGSS, but then my sister got BW, then came Gen 6 that I’d planned to skip, but was traded to me by my sister in exchange for Minecraft, then I was given Ultra Moon for a birthday present. 

I don’t have a Switch, and have no plans to get one, so I’m fairly certain I won’t be roped into anything later. 

I would definitely like to add FRLG to my collection though. Missed a really good opportunity last year. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

They really need that DLSS right now.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Excuse my shitposting but

Mario Mushroom Head GIFs | Tenor

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

35 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I’d originally planned to stop at HGSS, but then my sister got BW, then came Gen 6 that I’d planned to skip, but was traded to me by my sister in exchange for Minecraft, then I was given Ultra Moon for a birthday present. 

I don’t have a Switch, and have no plans to get one, so I’m fairly certain I won’t be roped into anything later. 

I would definitely like to add FRLG to my collection though. Missed a really good opportunity last year. 

Emerald is my personal favorite because battle plaza adds a whole new angle of battle difficulty and comp, but I like FR/LG for the pokemon they allow me to get.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

36 minutes ago, williamcll said:

They really need that DLSS right now.

I mean Tegra X1 the switch uses is based off of Maxwell.  They did a die shrink to 16nm for V2 of the switch but still its almost comical how old its underlining technology is in comparison to basically everything else out there (PC, XSX/S, PS5).

If the rumor about the Tegra X2 and DLSS are true I’m more excited about the increase in base performance/efficiency without DLSS.  Plus, if they manage to get DLSS in handheld mode for a 720p screen while rendering at 480p-ish, I might seriously consider switching to that “super” switch since the battery could be wayy better than my V1 switch.

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

1 hour ago, Lord Bloobus said:

Emerald is my personal favorite because battle plaza adds a whole new angle of battle difficulty and comp, but I like FR/LG for the pokemon they allow me to get.

Kind of off topic, but I wonder what the feasibility of swapping in modern, high CRI LEDs for the front light on my GBA SP would be. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Temtem > Pokémon

Never played or even really looked into that game, but I just love the platypus creature they have in the game and I am kind of salty Pokémon could probably never include a platypus Pokémon without it drawing similarities and comparisons to that creature.

3 hours ago, cj09beira said:

pokemon died a long time ago, they just keep making the new pokemons be stronger and stronger, leaving the old ones behind, making things like ev training way to easy, at this point it would take a lot to make me care about the new games

The power creep in the games is actually not that bad really, even the older Pokémon are viable in a normal playthrough. It's just the competitive aspect of the game revolves around certain staples in the series, but that is what the different ladders are for!

I actually don't mind the EV training methods we have now, at the very least to get them out of obscurity.

Personally I wouldn't mind the old EV/IV training/breeding methods, but they really should have something set up in that case that makes it easy to see your EV's/IV's. A lot of people used PokéGen or similar alternatives, because it was just annoying to get a good Pokémon.

2 hours ago, Lord Bloobus said:

The battle frontier of Emerald was amazing! What they brought back in Platinum was alright, but not as good.

If they have the audacity to once again not include the full facility - like what they did in ORAS - I will lose my mind!

Anyone else STILL mad they pulled this with ORAS instead of bringing the  frontier back? Frontier has been gone since Gen 4 btw. : pokemon

^ '2014' is from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, the Ruby/Sapphire remakes. They didn't even bring back the normal Battle Tower, but rather the X/Y Battle Maison which is just not as good.

I hope in the Diamond/Pearl remakes they also bring back WiFi Plaza. An often forgotten feature from Platinum which almost no one seems to remember.

At least in the trailers we saw the Underground, meaning at least part of my nostalgia is coming back 😄

I'm trying to contain myself and not be too excited, fearing a lackluster remake to ruin my hype.

As I always do nowadays, I'll wait for reviews to flow in before buying the game.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Kind of off topic, but I wonder what the feasibility of swapping in modern, high CRI LEDs for the front light on my GBA SP would be. 

An AGS-101 + converter cable (i.e. from BennVenn) might be a better option, or one of those IPS screen mods!

Those look amazing.

4 hours ago, Lord Bloobus said:

Mega evolutions was a cool concept to bring life into previously overlooked/weak Pokémon (and of course for the fan favorites, like.. Charizard.. And another Charizard!)

4 hours ago, Eschew said:

Pokemon Platinum (Diamond/Pearl series) counts as one of my favorite games, probably is my favorite Pokemon game, full-stop!

The flipside of my pronouncing Platinum as my favorite Pokemon game, is that later Pokemon releases felt stale and uninspired (HeartGold/SoulSilver), or too controversial (Black/White/Black 2/White 2).

Platinum still ranks among my top favorites for sure! I think I like HeartGold/SoulSilver more, because that region and its Pokémon I am the most fond of, but I can definitely see how HGSS seemed kind of stale.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Never played or even really looked into that game, but I just love the platypus creature they have in the game and I am kind of salty Pokémon could probably never include a platypus Pokémon without it drawing similarities and comparisons to that creature.

The power creep in the games is actually not that bad really, even the older Pokémon are viable in a normal playthrough. It's just the competitive aspect of the game revolves around certain staples in the series, but that is what the different ladders are for!

I actually don't mind the EV training methods we have now, at the very least to get them out of obscurity.

Personally I wouldn't mind the old EV/IV training/breeding methods, but they really should have something set up in that case that makes it easy to see your EV's/IV's. A lot of people used PokéGen or similar alternatives, because it was just annoying to get a good Pokémon.

The battle frontier of Emerald was amazing! What they brought back in Platinum was alright, but not as good.

If they have the audacity to once again not include the full facility - like what they did in ORAS - I will lose my mind!

Anyone else STILL mad they pulled this with ORAS instead of bringing the  frontier back? Frontier has been gone since Gen 4 btw. : pokemon

^ '2014' is from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, the Ruby/Sapphire remakes. They didn't even bring back the normal Battle Tower, but rather the X/Y Battle Maison which is just not as good.

I hope in the Diamond/Pearl remakes they also bring back WiFi Plaza. An often forgotten feature from Platinum which almost no one seems to remember.

At least in the trailers we saw the Underground, meaning at least part of my nostalgia is coming back 😄

I'm trying to contain myself and not be too excited, fearing a lackluster remake to ruin my hype.

As I always do nowadays, I'll wait for reviews to flow in before buying the game.

An AGS-101 + converter cable (i.e. from BennVenn) might be a better option, or one of those IPS screen mods!

Those look amazing.

Mega evolutions was a cool concept to bring life into previously overlooked/weak Pokémon (and of course for the fan favorites, like.. Charizard.. And another Charizard!)

Platinum still ranks among my top favorites for sure! I think I like HeartGold/SoulSilver more, because that region and its Pokémon I am the most fond of, but I can definitely see how HGSS seemed kind of stale.

I'm all for coming back to play more pokemon in Snap, and even the core games if they do a good cross region with compelling starters. But it probably won't be this upcoming game, maybe the next one.

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

i remember getting so much shit for making a post 2 years ago that I was worried that since they are reusing models when they promised not to they are going to be lazy with sword and shield and make it a bad game. and people were like nun uh you cant know that you are just a hater.  i hope gamefreak learned their lesson and actually put in the work for this one but ill avoid getting hyped and just be cautiously optimistic

edit: found it 

sort of funny in hindsight

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i remember getting so much shit for making a post 2 years ago that I was worried that since they are reusing models when they promised not to they are going to be lazy with sword and shield and make it a bad game. and people were like nun uh you cant know that you are just a hater.  i hope they learned their lesson and actually put in the work for this one

image.png.d329e6f97053665ecb8d8da428e88fd4.png

L.A. Noire "Doubt" / Press X To Doubt | Know Your Meme

And those are old numbers, it's above 20 mil now. NatDexers and people talking about tree textures and reused models can't seem to realize most people just really don't care that much. Me personally, I just want to collect and battle monsters lol. Shiny hunting and the competitive scene have been enough to get me to put a looooootttt of hours into this game.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Whom said:

-snip-

Exactly, I've bought and played the game recently and I have absolutely NO IDEA why people got so mad. The game looks great.

I honestly think people's expectations got way too high and will likely be the same for Legends. Which is a shame.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

5 minutes ago, Dr_Whom said:

image.png.d329e6f97053665ecb8d8da428e88fd4.png

L.A. Noire "Doubt" / Press X To Doubt | Know Your Meme

And those are old numbers, it's above 20 mil now. NatDexers and people talking about tree textures and reused models can't seem to realize most people just really don't care that much. Me personally, I just want to collect and battle monsters lol. Shiny hunting and the competitive scene have been enough to get me to put a looooootttt of hours into this game.

yeah i personally dont care about textures or reused models. id even be fine with it if it looked like old diamond and pearl. but what i was concerned about is the lies and the apparent laziness since that mindset will make an impact on the quality of the gameplay/story itself. and imo it showed in both 

22 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

yeah i personally dont care about textures or reused models. id even be fine with it if it looked like old diamond and pearl. but what i was concerned about is the lies and the apparent laziness since that mindset will make an impact on the quality of the gameplay/story itself. and imo it showed in both 

Oh yea that we can agree on. I don't even remember half of the SwSh story to be honest, but again that's not why I play Pokemon so it never really bothered me. It would be nice if they put more effort into that aspect of it though, can totally agree there. They could really take it to the next level with a sprinkle of voice acting (pretty sure this will never happen in Pokemon, but yea), and a much deeper story that encourages the player to discover and dive into the lore of the region.

As far as gameplay I'm never sure what to make of what people mean by this. I felt it was fine in SwSh, it played like any other other Pokemon game as expected. The addition of the Wild Area and the raid dens (which got boring after a while to be fair) and later Dynamax Adventures in the DLC (which completely fixed raid dens imo) was a nice additional touch, but still not exactly a drastic departure from the typical Pokemon formula. Maybe there's an argument they should push the boundaries a bit and see if they can move beyond the traditional playstyle, which they attempted and failed with Let's Go, although maybe because they went the opposite direction and made it more simple/dumbed down. I feel like this Legend game may be bringing that difference though, hard to tell from the small trailer but we can hope.

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

i remember getting so much shit for making a post 2 years ago that I was worried that since they are reusing models when they promised not to they are going to be lazy with sword and shield and make it a bad game. and people were like nun uh you cant know that you are just a hater.  i hope gamefreak learned their lesson and actually put in the work for this one but ill avoid getting hyped and just be cautiously optimistic

edit: found it 

sort of funny in hindsight

S&S are bad games for a ton of other reasons, I couldn't care less about re-used models in comparison.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

S&S are bad games for a ton of other reasons, I couldn't care less about re-used models in comparison.

yeah but the lying and laziness shows a mindset that will damage other parts of the game also