Toward next-generation optical disks

Part of the problem is that the laser is inducing stimulated emission in those nanoparticles.  This is different than CDs where the laser is reflected off the surface of the disk.  Stimulated emission is not 100% efficient, i.e. light energy into the nanoparticle != light energy out so there will be heat which can wear out the disk.  Also non reflected light is scattered, so much more complex lenses will be needed.  Otherwise the laser needed to read data probably this way will have to be very powerful.

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

As I understand it, M-Disk format is the way to go for long-term archival followed by storing the media in a sealed container displaced with 100% nitrogen (inert gas)

M-Disks are neat, but slow to burn (as it's essentially etching the bits into stone). *Maybe the tech has changed since I last used M-Disks though*

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I suspect it will depend on how it was stored. I have a number of DVDs burned 20 years ago that are just fine. Hell, I've pulled data off 27 year old floppy drives, that were stored in a damp basement for years, without issue.

Media is more resilient than we give it credit for. 

The condition can play a role (direct light will rot disks a lot quicker)...it also depends on the type of disc burned.  Some of the brands later on used worse dyes and such to achieve cheaper costs, but it had the downside that they were more susceptible to CD rot.  (I have a few discs that were burned at roughly the same time, and stored away the exact same...just different brands and some brands just are garbage data now)

To the topic, given that this is just a research paper I don't really hold much hope for it.  They would have to mass produce it, and even before that they would need to raise funding (and convince people that discs are still a thing).  Not to mention, that things such as Blu-Rays work because they can be easily stamped from a master reducing the cost to cents to produce)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Thinking about this, I wonder if all the platter based media is sort of doomed.  The thing that has kept tape relevant is it’s linear.  You can always just add more length.  Platters are effectively a coiled tape. They’re spirals. This makes their length limited and the only way to increase length is to make the track thinner so you can fit more of them on a platter. This is a lot harder than simply adding stuff on to the end. I’m remembering the progression of hard and floppy disks.  Hard disks got bigger and bigger for a while. There were massive platters in multiple stacks.  Then thickness went way way down and they got smaller.  Now they’re running out of space again.  SSDs are starting to kick their butt.  SSD is sort of linear.  Add more chips. My suspicion is nvme SSDs will eventually come in gigantic chunks the size of a standard height (which used to be half height) drives.  They’ve got a long way to travel though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

(I have a few discs that were burned at roughly the same time, and stored away the exact same...just different brands and some brands just are garbage data now)

Had the same here when I got rid of all my optical discs. Some brands held up just fine and others became useless after a few years... and sometimes it's the cheapo stuff that held and the more expensive brands that failed. So in the end while in theory they can have a long life, in practice you can't count on it since you can't really know in advance what the good stuff is.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, SkyKnight2 said:

“Lamon et al. achieved an estimated storage capacity of 700 terabytes on a 12-centimeter optical disk, comparable to a storage capacity of 28,000 single-layer Blu-ray disks.”

So 700tb on a disk the size of a normal case fan. Let that sink in

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Was waiting for someone to pick up on that. provided the media isn't overly fragile this would definitely find use in long term backup solutions at as minimum, provided ti can be produced on scale anyway.

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Until it actually leaves the lab (or even a prototype disc/reader/writer) it is just like the battery tech out there...tons of promise but no actual real world results.  The 700 tb, is the theoretical maximum that they could store with this method as well (so gen 1 or gen 2 would most definitly be a lot lower).  It reminds me a bit of the Holographic Versatile Disc that was attempting to be made into production back in 2007 (where they showed a 5TB prototype disc...that cost around $150 if produced, but the reader cost $10k).  It went belly up, but the tech was there...just not really feasible in production/commercial market

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

5 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

That is... a sentence... even my EE background is having trouble parsing all that at once...

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

17 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Until it actually leaves the lab (or even a prototype disc/reader/writer) it is just like the battery tech out there...tons of promise but no actual real world results.  The 700 tb, is the theoretical maximum that they could store with this method as well (so gen 1 or gen 2 would most definitly be a lot lower).  It reminds me a bit of the Holographic Versatile Disc that was attempting to be made into production back in 2007 (where they showed a 5TB prototype disc...that cost around $150 if produced, but the reader cost $10k).  It went belly up, but the tech was there...just not really feasible in production/commercial market

Even 1 tb would probably be enough if the disks are cheap.  7tb would make it a must have for people that do home level backups.  20 tb might kill tape if it’s archival.  That kind of density is going to require some ridiculously tiny structures though so I’m not too sure about archival. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

700TB for 8.99 at the supermarket? sign me up, also I love discs! (my fav storage medium is MOD [Magneto Optical Disc]) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

700TB for 8.99 at the supermarket? sign me up, also I love discs! (my fav storage medium is MOD [Magneto Optical Disc]) 

I think the 700TB figure is just based on the number of nanoparticles that can fit on the area of the disk.  Realistically it will be much lower.

I am also a huge fan of the MO disk.  Hands down, no media is more robust or has a longer retention time than MDs.  

5 minutes ago, xentropa said:

think the 700TB figure is just based on the number of nanoparticles that can fit on the area of the disk. 

well my '8.99' figure was also a very optimistic take obviously! 

6 minutes ago, xentropa said:

Realistically it will be much lower.

Just wait until they make the double layer versions 😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Am I bit nostalgic for optical discs whe I say i hope they don't die off? Not everyone has super fast internet yet and I still love putting CDs and DVDs in my Asus Blu-Ray drive to watch movies on my PC so I guess they should continue to exist in a big way going forward. Problem ofc is capacity. Halo Wars 2 a game for the PC which came with like 4 discs when I bought it which is kinda ridiculous to be honest.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

I just want Babylon 5 re-writable data crystals! 😭

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

18 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

It sounds cool and all, but optical discs and drives died in 2013 or so...

I still use them, but I know it's a dead technology.

More importantly what's the R/W speed on this. It may be great for one time archival use and for sweet fuck all else.

Hi all. Thank you for the great discussion. I am a Biologist and typically read the journal where I got this article for more relevant articles within my field. But I thought this optical disk development was too cool not to share. I posted a direct link to the full text article within the original post for more physics/engineering savvy users.

Here it is as well:

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/9/eabe2209.full

1 hour ago, SkyKnight2 said:

Hi all. Thank you for the great discussion. I am a Biologist and typically read the journal where I got this article for more relevant articles within my field. But I thought this optical disk development was too cool not to share. I posted a direct link to the full text article within the original post for more physics/engineering savvy users.

Here it is as well:

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/9/eabe2209.full

Interesting article.  Reading the abstract it points to small sizes and low energy requirements and talks about poor life of previous advances but does NOT say how archival the system is.  Writing optical would be primarily a backup medium so archival qualities are important.

I'd imagine if this succeeds the technology would work it's way at some point to future generation consoles as well, since discs are still popular due to the ability to basically sell or trade a game you already played for a different one. Though, outside of maybe consoles and definitely archival storage I don't see this catching on to be a widely used by an average consumer.

On 2/26/2021 at 3:09 PM, SkyKnight2 said:

“Lamon et al. achieved an estimated storage capacity of 700 terabytes on a 12-centimeter optical disk, comparable to a storage capacity of 28,000 single-layer Blu-ray disks.”

well put a few of these discs together in a enclosure, similar to a hard drive and you've got drives that can hold multiple petabytes.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:21 AM, FakeKGB said:

ape, like cassette tapes?
Dead and gone

Except for large scare backups. The tapes are still a good backup

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 2/26/2021 at 4:27 PM, Doobeedoo said:

Not sure disks would return in the mainstream ever again though. Could see it for special uses and such, but yeah.

People still buy bluray, you don't really have much of a choice if you want high quality high resolution movies (streaming services are not even close).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

(streaming services are not even close).

You can thank comcast verizon and other #$%% providers for that if you are in the States.

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

People still buy bluray, you don't really have much of a choice if you want high quality high resolution movies (streaming services are not even close).

I mean you can always download the source though. Also it begs the question percentage wise how many actually buy them too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 hours ago, xentropa said:

You can thank comcast verizon and other #$%% providers for that if you are in the States.

I'm not but I can relate 😛

Still even with a very fast connection the quality is just not the same, presumably because they want to keep their own bandwidth usage low.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 2/27/2021 at 11:05 AM, Sauron said:

When Blu-ray was new I tried to build a computer that would play them.  I failed.  The DRM on those things is crazy.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

When Blu-ray was new I tried to build a computer that would play them.  I failed.  The DRM on those things is crazy.

Yeah, but fortunately this exists

https://www.redfox.bz/en/anydvdhd.html

sadly it's paid software but it does work. I was able to play my entire blu ray library (admittedly not huge but still) with the demo version, I didn't buy it because I wasn't going to use it often anyway.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*