What is considered a good CFM for a case fan?

seban
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

its a 120MM fan, 1200rpm and specifies 28.34 CFM.. it was included in the case as an exhaust fan. I'll edit the post and put this in, my bad.

I find that to be pretty low CFM on a 120mm. But, if thats the max RPM, it would be understandable. 

No worries! 

It's a 120mm fan, 1200rpm and specifies 28.34 CFM; its included with the case

I'd prefer short answers only, thank you.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Depends on the size of the fan; 80mm, 92mm, 120mm, 140mm, 200mm. If its a 120mm, I'd expect to see at least 60CFM or greater. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, SpiderMan said:

Depends on the size of the fan; 80mm, 92mm, 120mm, 140mm, 200mm. If its a 120mm, I'd expect to see at least 60CFM or greater. 

its a 120MM fan, 1200rpm and specifies 28.34 CFM.. it was included in the case as an exhaust fan. I'll edit the post and put this in, my bad.

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

I find that to be pretty low CFM on a 120mm. But, if thats the max RPM, it would be understandable. 

No worries! 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, SpiderMan said:

No worries! 

Alright, thank you!

2 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Alright, thank you!

Anytime. 50CFM or above is also pretty good, in the 1200-2000 range. 

I'd expect a 120mm case fan to do at least 30-40CFM at max speeds. If it's a good fan, 60cfm. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Fans with a lot of static pressure can produce less cfm.  One assumes the manufacturer tested things and has chosen a fan with that cfm for a reason.  Might not have though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

will be very hard to find  2 fans (120) that can push 60cfm and not being loud( over 1500rpm gets loud fast) 

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

will be very hard to find  2 fans (120) that can push 60cfm and not being loud( over 1500rpm gets loud fast) 

Its pretty subjective on "loudness". For me, 2000RPM is perfectly fine and not "loud", for as long as its not an electric leaf blower. Corsairs ML lineup has some that are up there IIRC. 

2000??? damn dude.!  what fans are you using?  or do you have ur pc in another room? 🙂 

Basically I think what it comes down to is there isn’t one variable (cfm) there are 4.

CFM, DBA, mm of mercury, and cost.  Make one better you make the others worse, but they vary at different rates, and their graphs are not flat.  If cost, noise, and static pressure arent concerns, you can have a loud expensive fan without a lot of static pressure that makes a whale of a lot of cfm.   It seems to me the least important one is cost. The difference between a cheap fan and an expensive one frequently isn’t all that much.  The questions seems to be how little of each do you need to make the minimums to get your system to work.   There’s a whole lot of variability there.  Different cases have different behaviors and different components will vary on their need for cooling.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

High performance and silence do not go hand in hand. If you want to cool your rig you have to move some air. Everyone has a different definition of noise, what might be loud to you is quiet for me and vice versa. If it were me I would be looking at 60cfm and up. My current case fans are 120x38s and at 12v are 110cfm @ 2500 RPM, and my CPU fan at full speed is 130cfm @ 2500 RPM.. but it is not quiet at full speed either 😄 

I run my case fans at 7v and I am happy with its noise output. 12v is a bit loud.

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

3 hours ago, freeagent said:

High performance and silence do not go hand in hand. If you want to cool your rig you have to move some air. Everyone has a different definition of noise, what might be loud to you is quiet for me and vice versa. If it were me I would be looking at 60cfm and up. My current case fans are 120x38s and at 12v are 110cfm @ 2500 RPM, and my CPU fan at full speed is 130cfm @ 2500 RPM.. but it is not quiet at full speed either 😄 

I run my case fans at 7v and I am happy with its noise output. 12v is a bit loud.

Madness!  😄  or should i say  Cool! 

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

Madness!  😄  or should i say  Cool! 

A little of both 😄

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

• 2 months later...

i was wonder what better for a cpu cooling fan that's on a heat sink for 80 mm which is better for it Maximum Airflow for the first one is 28.89 CFM and the rpm is 2000 or the second one 20.2 CFM and rpm of 1600

• 1 year later...
On 2/26/2021 at 2:36 PM, CommanderAlex said:

Anytime. 50CFM or above is also pretty good, in the 1200-2000 range. 

Yeah I have 9 artic p12s at like 49cfm anything Over 40cfm seems good and above 60 great 

12 minutes ago, Dec0116 said:

Yeah I have 9 artic p12s at like 49cfm anything Over 40cfm seems good and above 60 great 

1200rpm is enough to make audible noise on a 120mm fan.  May not matter.  The highest low noise rpm I’ve heard of on 120mm is 1100 rpm.  It’s usually lower.  That goes down for fans larger than 120mm and up for fans that are smaller.  Has to do with fan blade tip velocity iirc.