Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Driver Installation Errors with Windows 7 for my GPU

Just now, -rascal- said:

It looks like the Service Pack 1 (Microsoft eventually combined SP1 and SP2 together) might need to be downloaded and installed manually too.

Apparently at some point in time, the SP1 update was changed so it was not automatically downloaded / installed.

Service Pack 1 has been installed already on my machine.

25 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

It looks like the Service Pack 1 (Microsoft eventually combined SP1 and SP2 together) might need to be downloaded and installed manually too.

Apparently at some point in time, the SP1 update was changed so it was not automatically downloaded / installed.

Actually because I reinstalled windows windows update doesn't work anymore... I think I'm done with this shit for tonight.

Try to run the Windows 7 driver in compatibility mode set to Vista.

I require no glory, only results.

12 hours ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Try to run the Windows 7 driver in compatibility mode set to Vista.

Fail. Although there was a different outcome this time. I'm about to start a DDU marathon and install and try EVERY COMPATIBLE CATALYST INSTALLER. If that fails... Well I wanted to say I'll just install Vista but steam doesn't support Vista..... FACK

901179580_20210227_1723551.jpg

278163068_20210227_1723361.jpg

What is your GPU hardware ID shown in Device Manager?

9 hours ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

What is your GPU hardware ID shown in Device Manager?

I think that these are the hardware IDs (I clicked on properties and then on details and selected hardware ids) 

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495&SUBSYS_00281002&REV_00

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495&SUBSYS_00281002

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495CC_030000

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495CC_0300

Extract the Windows 7 driver executable to a folder. Navigate to Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF.

Paste in the attatched files. Run setup.exe from the root directory of the extracted driver.

C7158498.inf CH158498.inf

1 hour ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Extract the Windows 7 driver executable to a folder. Navigate to Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF.

Paste in the attatched files. Run setup.exe from the root directory of the extracted driver.

C7158498.inf 120.76 kB · 0 downloads CH158498.inf 121.39 kB · 0 downloads

It appears to be stuck on "currently installing: AMD Catalyst Install Manager" I copied those files into the correct directory which replaced those two files that were already there. I tried this using the 13.9 catalyst installer.

Delete the extracted folder, extract the executable again. Navigate to the mentioned path through Device Manager and use one of the .inf files.

Just like you did in the video, but point it to the .inf file instead of AMD directory.

2 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Delete the extracted folder, extract the executable again. Navigate to the mentioned path through Device Manager and use one of the .inf files.

Just like you did in the video, but point it to the .inf file instead of AMD directory.

Ok good news and bad news. The driver did install but after I restarted anything remotely requiring graphics rendering would crash the driver and cause a popup to tell me the AMD graphics driver has restarted. The next time I restarted after that I got the 1fps refresh bug again. Soooooooooo yeah. Perhaps I should try the most recent installer's inf files? Because this was using the 13.9 files.

Check if you can make use of Windows 8 driver .inf

1 hour ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Check if you can make use of Windows 8 driver .inf

Tried it and it doesn't even detect a driver in the windows 8 driver folder.

To me it seems like that any GPU that has a converter chip, windows 7 doesn't seem to like for some reason. The 3850 exhibited the same behavior with it's drivers installed but my 9550 xl, a native agp gpu, worked just fine and its drivers installed with no issue AUTOMATICALLY.

Ok so I installed the 12.3 AGP hotfix driver and that worked but I am getting the display driver stopped responding and has recovered error with graphical effects not really working properly.

So the drivers work PERFECTLY on Windows XP. Tomorrow I'll upgrade the machine to Windows XP 64 bit so that I can upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit and hopefully the drivers will still work right.