Driver Installation Errors with Windows 7 for my GPU

Dimondminer11
3 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I can not seem to find the VBIOS version that your card does have.

Also the Shader Units aswell as Pixel and Texture fillrates seem to be far off from what the default values are.

Reference: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-4670.c234

If you feel comfortable with flashing VBIOS, you can try doing that although I do not know if 'backwards flashing' is a thing as your VBIOS appears to have a higher number than the ones listed below.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=ATI&manufacturer=&model=HD+4670&version=&interface=AGP&memType=&memSize=&since=

Well here's the thing. The card was working fine on my Pentium 4 AGP system (which now no longer has a CPU unfortunately) so I suppose I could try to flash a new VBIOS on it but this card was a very rare and unusual card. http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product2-448.shtml That is the card I'm trying to use. I have pretty much given up now so I'm going to reinstall Windows now.

Edit: Oh I see. 320 shaders vs 80. Actually wtf

1 minute ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

This may not be related but I am gonna suggest that you do a system scan with the following command just as a last resort.

sfc /scannow

Ok so here is a video of the behavior the card when trying to install drivers: 

If you do not mind me asking, did you buy this card new or used?

I bought both used. The 4670 I confirmed working on my Pentium 4 AGP machine as I was able to boot into and launch Minecraft. The 3850 I didn't get a chance to test though so that is a mystery card.

Just now, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I asked becuase it seems like the previous user might have flashed the VBIOS intended for the pure ATI vendor of the card (and you have the HIS one). Although the Board ID seems to be identical, the VBIOS version still bothers me.

True. I have fiddled with VBIOS flashing before in the past so I can give er a try

But first give the sfc command a try. Just to be sure.

Yep it is running as we speak

10 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

But first give the sfc command a try. Just to be sure.

No integrity violations found.

You have got to be kidding me. This is just me testing with a download of the ROM currently ON the card. I think I have no other option other than to nuke Windows.

1133550534_20210226_1520491.jpg

3 hours ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Ok so here is a video of the behavior the card when trying to install drivers: 

Why are you using THAT method to install drivers?

Why not click on the AMD .exe and run it that way??

HD 4000 and 3000 series fall under the "Legacy" support category, so it no longer gets monthly / bi-monthly drivers updates.

The latest available on AMD's website for the HD 4000 / 3000 series, for Windows 7 x64, is version 13.9 (2013 September).

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-4000-series/ati-radeon-hd-4670

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Just now, -rascal- said:

Why are you using THAT method to install drivers?

Why not click on the AMD .exe and run it that way??

HD 4000 and 3000 series fall under the "Legacy" support category, so it no longer gets monthly / bi-monthly drivers updates.

The latest available on AMD's website for the HD 4000 series, for Windows 7 x64, is version 13.9 (2013 September).

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-4000-series/ati-radeon-hd-4670

Because the installer does jack. I've run several different versions now of the installer and it just flat out refuses to install the display driver.

3 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Because the installer does jack. I've run several different versions now of the installer and it just flat out refuses to install the display driver.

Make sure your Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable install is up-to-date, as far a Windows 7 goes.

If that is out-of-date, or corrupted, you will run into some issues.

Some details from the 13.9 release notes

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-cat-win-13-9

NOTES!

• When installing the AMD Catalyst Driver for Windows® operating system, the user must be logged on as Administrator, or have Administrator rights to complete the installation of the AMD Catalyst Driver.
  • The AMD Catalyst 13.9 Software Suite requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to be installed.
  • These release notes provide information on the AMD Catalyst Display Driver only. For information on the AMD Multimedia Center™, HydraVision, HydraVision Basic Edition, Remote Wonder™, or the Southbridge/IXP driver, please refer to their respective release notes found at: http://support.amd.com/.
  • The AMD Catalyst 13.9 Software Suite requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 to be installed.  Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is included in all Catalyst packages).
  • AMD Eyefinity technology is designed to give gamers access to high display resolutions. As pixel count grows, the graphics "horsepower" required to drive the displays at a reasonable frame rate can increase dramatically. Depending on the game and system configuration, users may notice texture corruption and reduced frame rates when running games in multi-monitor Eyefinity modes.
  • Windows Driver Model (WDM) drivers are no longer bundled in the AMD Catalyst software suite. The WDM drivers install bundle can be downloaded independently through the AMD website.

Compatible Operating Systems

The latest version of the AMD Catalyst™ Software Suite, AMD Catalyst™ 13.9 is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

Windows 8.1 (32 & 64-bit version)

Windows 8 (32 & 64-bit version)

Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit version with SP1 or higher)

Windows Vista (32 & 64-bit version SP2 or higher)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

Make sure your Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable install is up-to-date, as far a Windows 7 goes.

If that is out-of-date, or corrupted, you will run into some issues.

Some details from the 13.9 release notes

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-cat-win-13-9

Ok ill go and download all the C++ packages and install them. Ill let you know what happens.

Just now, Dimondminer11 said:

Ok ill go and download all the C++ packages and install them. Ill let you know what happens.

It looks like the Service Pack 1 (Microsoft eventually combined SP1 and SP2 together) might need to be downloaded and installed manually too.

Apparently at some point in time, the SP1 update was changed so it was not automatically downloaded / installed.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

Just now, -rascal- said:

It looks like the Service Pack 1 (Microsoft eventually combined SP1 and SP2 together) might need to be downloaded and installed manually too.

Apparently at some point in time, the SP1 update was changed so it was not automatically downloaded / installed.

Service Pack 1 has been installed already on my machine.

25 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Actually because I reinstalled windows windows update doesn't work anymore... I think I'm done with this shit for tonight.

12 hours ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Try to run the Windows 7 driver in compatibility mode set to Vista.

Fail. Although there was a different outcome this time. I'm about to start a DDU marathon and install and try EVERY COMPATIBLE CATALYST INSTALLER. If that fails... Well I wanted to say I'll just install Vista but steam doesn't support Vista..... FACK

901179580_20210227_1723551.jpg

278163068_20210227_1723361.jpg

9 hours ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

What is your GPU hardware ID shown in Device Manager?

I think that these are the hardware IDs (I clicked on properties and then on details and selected hardware ids) 

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495&SUBSYS_00281002&REV_00

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495&SUBSYS_00281002

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495CC_030000

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495CC_0300

1 hour ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Extract the Windows 7 driver executable to a folder. Navigate to Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF.

Paste in the attatched files. Run setup.exe from the root directory of the extracted driver.

C7158498.inf 120.76 kB · 0 downloads CH158498.inf 121.39 kB · 0 downloads

It appears to be stuck on "currently installing: AMD Catalyst Install Manager" I copied those files into the correct directory which replaced those two files that were already there. I tried this using the 13.9 catalyst installer.

2 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Delete the extracted folder, extract the executable again. Navigate to the mentioned path through Device Manager and use one of the .inf files.

Just like you did in the video, but point it to the .inf file instead of AMD directory.

Ok good news and bad news. The driver did install but after I restarted anything remotely requiring graphics rendering would crash the driver and cause a popup to tell me the AMD graphics driver has restarted. The next time I restarted after that I got the 1fps refresh bug again. Soooooooooo yeah. Perhaps I should try the most recent installer's inf files? Because this was using the 13.9 files.

1 hour ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Check if you can make use of Windows 8 driver .inf

Tried it and it doesn't even detect a driver in the windows 8 driver folder.

To me it seems like that any GPU that has a converter chip, windows 7 doesn't seem to like for some reason. The 3850 exhibited the same behavior with it's drivers installed but my 9550 xl, a native agp gpu, worked just fine and its drivers installed with no issue AUTOMATICALLY.

Ok so I installed the 12.3 AGP hotfix driver and that worked but I am getting the display driver stopped responding and has recovered error with graphical effects not really working properly.

So the drivers work PERFECTLY on Windows XP. Tomorrow I'll upgrade the machine to Windows XP 64 bit so that I can upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit and hopefully the drivers will still work right.