Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Computer won't turn on after processer upgrade (with either processer)

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
43 minutes ago, BluePriest said:

I hooked a speaker up to it and there isn't any beep or anything like that. My PSU doesnt even start turning on (and aside from the pin test, I also tried a spare psu I had laying around) so I am wondering if I'm not even getting to the stage where it would beep. Could that mean that my motherboard is completely dead? And if so, do you think it fried the psu as well?

 

This didn't help anything either, unfortunately.

 

Thank you everyone for being patient with me and helping.

If nothing even happens with either psu then it is safe to assume the board fried itself somehow.

GPU: NVIDIA 1080TI 
CPU: Ryzen 1600/3900x
PSU: Corsair Silent Pro M2 1000w
Ram: Corsair 30000 16 GB (2x8) CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-gaming
Bios Version: 50d

 

I have 2 CPUs listed. Here is why.
I just purchased a 3900x. Last night I updated my bios. First to 31, then to 50D. Each of these was with the 1600, and it loaded all the way into windows after each update. I installed the 3900x and when I pushed the power button, absolutely nothing happened. I went through all the steps listed in the sticky, including the pin test. My psu turned on a couple LED fans when I tried it. Unfortunately with everything but RAM and the CPU removed from the mobo (I've tried both CPUs), I still dont receive any feedback (not even the fans turning on) when I hit the power button (or when I try to short the pins). 

 

I've tried resetting the CMOS by removing the battery and waiting a couple minutes. I also had it removed all last night, and it still didnt work. 

 

What is currently plugged in/attached to mobo
2 LED fans
3900x (no heatsink attached), I've tried with the 1600 as well
1 Stick of Ram
The 24 pin connecter
The power button switch

Nothing else is connected, and when I hit the power button, absolutely nothing happens. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the system have a PC speaker, and if - what does it indicate?

... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Does the system have a PC speaker, and if - what does it indicate?

No it doesn't. I always used headphones, and from what I can tell, the MOBO doesn't have one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BluePriest said:

No it doesn't. I always used headphones, and from what I can tell, the MOBO doesn't have one. 

The PC speaker does not cost almost anything, but would help indicating the problem... So maybe buy one..

Edit: in this case maybe not a lot though, but is useful in any other situation.

... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BluePriest said:

GPU: NVIDIA 1080TI 
CPU: Ryzen 1600/3900x
PSU: Corsair Silent Pro M2 1000w
Ram: Corsair 30000 16 GB (2x8) CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-gaming
Bios Version: 50d

 

I have 2 CPUs listed. Here is why.
I just purchased a 3900x. Last night I updated my bios. First to 31, then to 50D. Each of these was with the 1600, and it loaded all the way into windows after each update. I installed the 3900x and when I pushed the power button, absolutely nothing happened. I went through all the steps listed in the sticky, including the pin test. My psu turned on a couple LED fans when I tried it. Unfortunately with everything but RAM and the CPU removed from the mobo (I've tried both CPUs), I still dont receive any feedback (not even the fans turning on) when I hit the power button (or when I try to short the pins). 

 

I've tried resetting the CMOS by removing the battery and waiting a couple minutes. I also had it removed all last night, and it still didnt work. 

 

What is currently plugged in/attached to mobo
2 LED fans
3900x (no heatsink attached), I've tried with the 1600 as well
1 Stick of Ram
The 24 pin connecter
The power button switch

Nothing else is connected, and when I hit the power button, absolutely nothing happens. 
 

A 3900x on that board wasn't a great idea due to poor vrms and that would have been an issue as whilst it technically supports it it physically can't handle it. As the other person said a pc speaker (or beeper) would help a lot as you get a beepcode of what is wrong then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

The PC speaker does not cost almost anything, but would help indicating the problem... So maybe buy one..

Edit: in this case maybe not a lot though, but is useful in any other situation.

I will give that a shot, thank you. When I get home from work I will give an update. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you reset the CMOS, did you turn the PSU off and discharge the capacitors by holding the power button?  if not it might not have reset it at all as there might have been power still. Try it again.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

 

  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

When you reset the CMOS, did you turn the PSU off and discharge the capacitors by holding the power button?  if not it might not have reset it at all as there might have been power still. Try it again.

I did have the psu switched to off, but did not hold the power button. Should I hold the power button while it is still off and unplugged?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BluePriest said:

I did have the psu switched to off, but did not hold the power button. Should I hold the power button while it is still off and unplugged?

Yes, it basically tries to turn the PC on, which because it's switched off at the PSU, discharges the capacitors so that there's no way the CMOS can be receiving power... and therefore resets CMOS when you take the battery out.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

 

  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaslion said:

A 3900x on that board wasn't a great idea due to poor vrms and that would have been an issue as whilst it technically supports it it physically can't handle it. As the other person said a pc speaker (or beeper) would help a lot as you get a beepcode of what is wrong then.

If it turns out that I fried the mobo, what would be the suggestion as an upgrade? I doubt I'll end up upgrading to the 5xxx series and will instead upgrade to whatever is relatively new in 5 years or so, so I don't need a cutting edge one. I also have no intention of going above 1080p 144hz for at least as long. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BluePriest said:

If it turns out that I fried the mobo, what would be the suggestion as an upgrade? I doubt I'll end up upgrading to the 5xxx series and will instead upgrade to whatever is relatively new in 5 years or so, so I don't need a cutting edge one. I also have no intention of going above 1080p 144hz for at least as long. 

Basically the best b450 board the msi tomahawk max is getting to be around 100$ which is a steal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jaslion said:

A 3900x on that board wasn't a great idea due to poor vrms and that would have been an issue as whilst it technically supports it it physically can't handle it. As the other person said a pc speaker (or beeper) would help a lot as you get a beepcode of what is wrong then.

I hooked a speaker up to it and there isn't any beep or anything like that. My PSU doesnt even start turning on (and aside from the pin test, I also tried a spare psu I had laying around) so I am wondering if I'm not even getting to the stage where it would beep. Could that mean that my motherboard is completely dead? And if so, do you think it fried the psu as well?

 

9 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Yes, it basically tries to turn the PC on, which because it's switched off at the PSU, discharges the capacitors so that there's no way the CMOS can be receiving power... and therefore resets CMOS when you take the battery out.

This didn't help anything either, unfortunately.

 

Thank you everyone for being patient with me and helping.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BluePriest said:

I hooked a speaker up to it and there isn't any beep or anything like that. My PSU doesnt even start turning on (and aside from the pin test, I also tried a spare psu I had laying around) so I am wondering if I'm not even getting to the stage where it would beep. Could that mean that my motherboard is completely dead? And if so, do you think it fried the psu as well?

 

This didn't help anything either, unfortunately.

 

Thank you everyone for being patient with me and helping.

If nothing even happens with either psu then it is safe to assume the board fried itself somehow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If nothing even happens with either psu then it is safe to assume the board fried itself somehow.

ok. is there any way to check if the cpu is still good outside of getting a different mobo to test it on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BluePriest said:

ok. is there any way to check if the cpu is still good outside of getting a different mobo to test it on?

Nope

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BluePriest said:

I hooked a speaker up to it and there isn't any beep or anything like that. My PSU doesnt even start turning on (and aside from the pin test, I also tried a spare psu I had laying around) so I am wondering if I'm not even getting to the stage where it would beep. Could that mean that my motherboard is completely dead? And if so, do you think it fried the psu as well?

 

This didn't help anything either, unfortunately.

 

Thank you everyone for being patient with me and helping.

Ahh Damn! Sorry I couldn't help in this case, I was hoping it was an error when resetting CMOS.

 

Just in case, try building the PC outside of the case, on a non-conductive surface like the motherboard box for example. Just mobo/ram/CPU/GPU/power, and see if it POSTs. You can also try resetting CMOS again, several times if you like... I have seen boards come back to life seemingly from being "dead" occasionally when CMOS has been reset again. Also, if your board supports it, you could try bios flashback/trying to flash a previous bios, or switching to secondary BIOS/UEFI chip. There should be details of these on the mobo support page of the manufacturer  

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-rev-1x#kf

 

[edit] Just seen that it does indeed have dual bios 

2 x 128 Mbit flash Use of licensed AMI UEFI BIOS Support for DualBIOS™

 

I am not familiar with using/enabling that, so might be best to contact tech support from Gigabyte who should be able to help you.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

 

  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×