Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please help me understand heat pipe technology and orientation

TLDR: is it OK to have a heat pipe mounted sideways instead of vertical? Would it still work, would it work properly?

Long version: Hello everyone. I purchased all of the pc components already except for the heatsink and fan combo. I am currently looking at "Zalman CNPS9500" to toss onto my CPU. I do not understand if orientation is important because the product has heat-pipes. From my understanding the liquid inside the heat pipe turns into gas, gas then floats up because gas is lighter than liquid, then gas cools with the assistance of a fan, cold gas then turns back to liquid and then floats down inside the heat pipe to repeat the cycle. I have a pc case that is a tower. So the gas will not be evaporating from the bottom to the top, it will be evaporating sideways? Would it work? would it work efficiently? Is it OK to have a sideways mounted heatsink or should I lay my PC case on its side so that heat pipe is properly oriented from top to bottom? Is there such a thing as "proper orientation" for modern heat pipes?  Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who shares their wisdom with me!

I can't say exactly how it works, but the standard heatpipes in PC coolers are not at all affected by gravity or the orientation.

Dislaimer: If my post is older than 5 minutes, refresh the page. Most of my posts get edited straight away. 😄

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: LG 27GN950-B - TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Speakers: Samsung HW-Q80R + optional surround speakers - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915, Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C