Backing Up with bad sectors? (Paragon Backup and other options)

vWORMHAT

So crystal disk info is saying caution on my 4tb Seagate barracuda  , also ran seatools on it and a test code

B196A3c7. So should i even bother with making a sea tool boot tool and try to use that to fix the drive? i know the drive is most likely on its last legs so ill order another one but for now i need to back it up but paragon is giving me an error 

image.thumb.png.b4a8a1d2da142c77f165d073540d2cd1.pngIs there a workaround for this? or should i or can i use something like minitool to just clone the drive to my backup 8tb harddrive while i wait for a replacement? 

any input on what you would do would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!!

TLDR

Hard drive is going bad, cant backup with paragon, what should i do, and is the seatools bootable drive any good at fixing bad sectors?

image.png

image.png

Edited by vWORMHAT
accidently hit ender and it posted

IMO if the drive is still accessible - just copy files manually.

Or you can always use some tool which can skip bad sectors, like ddrescue, to create full hdd image if you want to.

Or you can search for option to skip bad sectors in your backup software.

Running any diagnostics or "repair" on hdd before the data is copied from it is always dangerous as it can cause further damage.

ddrescue on linux is made for taking care of such cases.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 hours ago, Archer42 said:

IMO if the drive is still accessible - just copy files manually.

Or you can always use some tool which can skip bad sectors, like ddrescue, to create full hdd image if you want to.

Or you can search for option to skip bad sectors in your backup software.

Running any diagnostics or "repair" on hdd before the data is copied from it is always dangerous as it can cause further damage.

ok thank you, what program do you recommend to use to backup the drive, cant find any workaround in paragon. If i use DDrescue will that wipe the drive that the files are being copied to?

Just now, vWORMHAT said:

ok thank you, what program do you recommend to use to backup the drive, cant find any workaround in paragon. If i use DDrescue will that wipe the drive that the files are being copied to?

ddrescue.

You can write image to file, but then you'll have to either read it on linux (where you'll be running ddrescue anyway) or write it to hdd first to access its contents.

By the way I'd recommend using clonezilla live media, since it has all the tools needed to work with stuff like this including ddrescue and you will not have to mess with installing said tools.