rx 580 freezes eGPU my thinkpad after windows login.

mvanorder

I picked up a Radeon for Linux and Mac compatability.  So far it works beautifully on my MBP for work, and I haven't tested on linux.  But I need it to work in windows for games that are still borked in protondb.

I've installed the recommended version on the driver, but now every time I plug it in, I have about 15 seconds before windows completely hangs(absolutely no response and have to hard shut down).  This only happens when logged in though; I can sit at the login screen as long as I want with it displaying on the eGPU and the lid closed.

I've tried the latest driver first, then removed AMD software and installed the recommended version hopping it would fix the issue, but no luck.  I even tried stopping both the Nvidia services(for the quadro P600 in the laptop), and the AMD services, thinking maybe one of them is causing the system hang.  Again, no luck.

If is matters,  I'm on a ThinkPad P72 with a Quadro P600 running Windows 10 build 1909, and now AMD's adrenalin 2020 20.11.2.

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

I'm now on build 20H2.  After running DDU in safe mode to remove all display drivers(AMD, Nvidia and Intel), I was able to boot up with the EGPU plugged in(not functioning due to no drivers).  I then installed only the AMD drivers, and as soon as they installed the computer froze again.  I don't know what to try next at this point.  It seems something specific with the AMD drivers and/or software is causing the system to hang.

• 1 year later...