Radeon 6000 GPUs with LG OLED B9/C9 (or must I go Nvidia 30?), VRR that important at high FPS?

Cruizer219

Internet searching still shows AMD 6800/6900 users are continuing to have problems when hooked to their LG OLEDs.  Apart from other problems, VRR is still not working on LG B9/C9 with new 6000 cards, not even with the CRU workaround that fixed the issues when using older Radeon cards.  LG states they will NOT add Freesync support to the "9" series of these TVs, period, just the 10/X series will get it.  Even though they are supposed to have VRR support (as does 6000 GPUs, supposedly) yet the two don't work together.

I have an OLED B9 that I love and can't afford to replace anyhow.  It IS now time to replace my aging/failing 10-series laptop (sadly) and I'm very eager to go with a 6800/XT, partly as I'm a fanboy (tho I've had many Nvidia GPUs I was happy with) but also because I think it will best meet my preferences, as a recreational gamer.  

Unless something drastic changes, this means I probably won't have variable refresh rate if go Team Red.  Leading to my Qs:

1.  Anyone have this combination of GPU and LG OLED 9 series and what are your experiences?  Major problems other than VRR too?

2.  At higher frame rates (lets say 100+ fps), is some form of VRR (forum, gsync, freesync) really THAT important of a feature?  Sure, it helps a lot at lower FPS but at high FPS is it that beneficial? 

3.  When used with Nvidia Ampere cards, are the problems with the B9/C9 now resolved?   Reports say they should be but I'd love to hear from users.  

Thanks very much for your input,

Cruizer

I say VRR isn't all that important. What can I say, still use a RX 570 8gb with my 144hz 28' monitor. However, I say keep the monitor, get a 6800/900 if you want. Variable refresh rate isn't that important, if worst comes to worst, and best case the bug is patched soon.

I have had an LG B6 model in family room since they debuted.  I loved it so much I bought the B9 when they added low latency, 120hz and Gsync, just for PC gaming.

Seems ridiculous the "9" series was a "breakthrough" (as even Linus complimented it at the time), but is looking like it will become the ORPHAN CHILD, never to get Freesync support nor Forum VRR working for PCs graphics that need it to work. 

Thx, wat3rmelon_man2, that is reassuring and what I am thinking too, just crank up the fps and roll with an otherwise great display.

None too happy with Nvidia, don't want to give them a dime at the moment.

• 1 month later...

For anyone finding this thread later...

I got an AMD 6800xt and is now paired with the LG B9.  The pairing is incredible, I haven't missed VRR or Freesync one bit!  So long as you can maintain a higher framerate (lets say 80-120+fps), variable refresh probably won't be missed.  As I came to understand it, variable refresh matters most below 60fps, so if you have to game in that zone, your experience may be different.   

Don't get me wrong, I am still furious at LG for not enabling Freesync on these "9" models and at AMD for not having the VRR working well enough to work with LG B9.  We pay a huge premium for LG Oled and (esp in 2020-21), and arm/leg for a new graphics card and then the manufactuers don't care to give what was promised, that should be infuriating to all of us!

But, no regrets on the GPU choice here.  Same as always, tweak settings to get the higher fps for your sweet spot.