Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrading from Huawei P20 Pro - Recommendations

Based on my carrier, and me wanting $0 down, I've picked out these 3, any opinions?

Google Pixel 5

Samsung S20 5G

Samsung S20 FE 5G

Actually, whats better the S20 or the S20 FE?

2 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

Based on my carrier, and me wanting $0 down, I've picked out these 3, any opinions?

Google Pixel 5

Samsung S20 5G

Samsung S20 FE 5G

Technically the s20. All of them are good phones that are good at different things. What are you looking for in a phone? 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 
My build:
CPU: 10700k Oc'd to 5.0 ghz                            GPU: RTX 3070 ventus 2x
Motherboard: Asus z490-v                                Cooler: Deepcool castle ex 120mm
Ram: Team tforce delta 32gb 3200mhz cl16     Case: Phanteks p418r (p360a ripoff) 
PSU: Apevia Prestige 800w

Notes:
Spoiler

To me the 10700k seems pretty underrated. It's a very solid cpu. at 5.0ghz it draws 175-185w under full load. the Asus z490-v is a sh*t teir motherboard, I wouldn't recommend it for anything past a 10600k for light oc's only. Tforce ram is pretty but cpu cooler clearance can be an issue on them, so beware. the RTX 3070 is obviously a great card, but the ventus 2x is just horrible. Don't buy it, not now, not ever. It's flimsy af, you can't increase the stock power limit, the cooler is worse than the one on the 3070FE. If it's a choice between this and nothing, choose nothing. The deepcool castle ex 120mm isn't really on sale outside of prebuilts, but it's a nice pretty cooler, gets my 10700k up to 96c after a prime95 cpu test for 15 minutes. The p418r is basically what it looks like. P360a, slap a few cyberpowerpc logos on it, and you're golden. The Apevia Prestige 800w is bad, but not terrible. Runs respectably quiet and isn't a bomb. More than a lot of PSU's in prebuilts can claim.

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

3 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Technically the s20. All of them are good phones that are good at different things. What are you looking for in a phone? 

Quite honestly my phone is just my daily driver, I don't do much with it, but I guess I'd say gaming. I don't take many photos, but at these price points, is there really that much of a difference?

Just now, Masters2150 said:

Quite honestly my phone is just my daily driver, I don't do much with it, but I guess I'd say gaming. I don't take many photos, but at these price points, is there really that much of a difference?

Google's pixel 5 is a decent all-rounder that does everything quite well but doesn't really stand out in any particular area. The software [optimization] is quite refined, so even though it has rather meager specs in comparison to it's competition (usually) it still manages to hold it's own. Samsung usually just tries to make spec monsters and push through any barriers they encounter, whether that be with battery life, the detail of their pictures, the performance of their phones, whatever. With the s20/s20 FE you'll still get a generally good experience but it can vary a lot depending on what you're doing- Say taking pictures. In most environments the pictures look great, but sometimes they're just be those few situations where the photos look very meh, or downright terrible. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 
My build:
Motherboard: Asus z490-v                                Cooler: Deepcool castle ex 120mm
Ram: Team tforce delta 32gb 3200mhz cl16     Case: Phanteks p418r (p360a ripoff) 

Notes:
Spoiler

To me the 10700k seems pretty underrated. It's a very solid cpu. at 5.0ghz it draws 175-185w under full load. the Asus z490-v is a sh*t teir motherboard, I wouldn't recommend it for anything past a 10600k for light oc's only. Tforce ram is pretty but cpu cooler clearance can be an issue on them, so beware. the RTX 3070 is obviously a great card, but the ventus 2x is just horrible. Don't buy it, not now, not ever. It's flimsy af, you can't increase the stock power limit, the cooler is worse than the one on the 3070FE. If it's a choice between this and nothing, choose nothing. The deepcool castle ex 120mm isn't really on sale outside of prebuilts, but it's a nice pretty cooler, gets my 10700k up to 96c after a prime95 cpu test for 15 minutes. The p418r is basically what it looks like. P360a, slap a few cyberpowerpc logos on it, and you're golden. The Apevia Prestige 800w is bad, but not terrible. Runs respectably quiet and isn't a bomb. More than a lot of PSU's in prebuilts can claim.

9 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

I'd recommend the google pixel 5 if you just want an all-around good performer. I'd recommend the s20 if you're looking for these things in particular: Better display quality/ a bigger display (higher res, higher refresh, larger, iirc a higher peak brightness, ect.), storage expandability, or possibly a somewhat more powerful chipset (Physically it is, it's a 865 in comparison to a 765g, but google has better optimizations), but this can depend as google will have better optimizations for some tasks in particular, again iirc. 

My build:

Notes:
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I'd recommend the google pixel 5 if you just want an all-around good performer. I'd recommend the s20 if you're looking for these things in particular: Better display quality/ a bigger display (higher res, higher refresh, larger, iirc a higher peak brightness, ect.), storage expandability, or possibly a somewhat more powerful chipset, but this can depend as google will have better optimizations for some tasks in particular, again iirc. 

Sounds like I'd like the Samsung more. Personally I was a bit iffy getting something directly from Google *shifty eyes*

Watching some videos right now on the differences.

I got an S20 FE during their Black Friday sale, couldn't ask for anything more. Love the phone. Takes pretty good pictures as well, though I don't really use it for that. The S20 FE gets vastly superior battery life. So. I'd choose it over the S20 for that alone. A dead phone is a useless phone.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

25 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I got an S20 FE during their Black Friday sale, couldn't ask for anything more. Love the phone. Takes pretty good pictures as well, though I don't really use it for that. The S20 FE gets vastly superior battery life. So. I'd choose it over the S20 for that alone. A dead phone is a useless phone.

I just noticed my carrier has the edge+ on clearance, any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Masters2150 said:

I just noticed my carrier has the edge+ on clearance, any thoughts?

How much? And who's your carrier? 

Current PC:

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

43 minutes ago, dizmo said:

How much? And who's your carrier? 

$0 down, same as the others. From Fido.ca

Pixel 5 if you want to overpay for an SD765, or if you like using a naked phone.

Else

S20 if you are getting a US model

And S20 FE 5G if you are not in the US

Do NOT buy the non-5G version of the FE

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Masters2150 said:

$0 down, same as the others. From Fido.ca

It's not a terrible phone, but the sides are pretty curved; I'd probably check out a demo unit to make sure you're fine with that. There's also next to no cases for them, which is why I never really looked into getting one.

What are the monthly payments for each? The down payment doesn't really mean much.

I'd also take a look around at London Drugs, The Source, etc. They often have promotions. For example, with Koodo LD is giving away $200 gift cards right now.

7 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Pixel 5 if you want to overpay for an SD765, or if you like using a naked phone.

Else

Why the S20 5G if you're not in the US? It's still a good choice even if you're in the US.

Current PC:

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Else

In Canada, we largely get the same versions of phones as the US. You can't get an LTE version of the S20 FE here, and all Galaxy S phones are Snapdragon-based.

Also, I think the Pixel 5 is a great phone, and that you're paying for things beyond the CPU... but most people are also better off with the Pixel 4a 5G unless water resistance and wireless charging are important.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

It's not a terrible phone, but the sides are pretty curved; I'd probably check out a demo unit to make sure you're fine with that. There's also next to no cases for them, which is why I never really looked into getting one.

What are the monthly payments for each? The down payment doesn't really mean much.

I'd also take a look around at London Drugs, The Source, etc. They often have promotions. For example, with Koodo LD is giving away $200 gift cards right now.

Why the S20 5G if you're not in the US? It's still a good choice even if you're in the US.

56 minutes ago, Commodus said:

In Canada, we largely get the same versions of phones as the US. You can't get an LTE version of the S20 FE here, and all Galaxy S phones are Snapdragon-based.

Also, I think the Pixel 5 is a great phone, and that you're paying for things beyond the CPU... but most people are also better off with the Pixel 4a 5G unless water resistance and wireless charging are important.

I ended up going with the Samsung S20 FE 5G. Turns out the normal S20 is on clearance and they're out, and they aren't $0, and the S20 that is $0 is a pre-owned phone.

Thanks for all the help guys!

On 2/25/2021 at 6:24 PM, Masters2150 said:

Google Pixel 5

Samsung S20 5G

Samsung S20 FE 5G

Pixel 5.  I don't want to recommend a Samsung phone right now because I don't know if they will keep there promise of 3 years of software support and I won't know until 2023 because the farthest they are going back is the Galaxy S10 series.       

5 minutes ago, Chuck Gaulke said:

Pixel 5.  I don't want to recommend a Samsung phone right now because I don't know if they will keep there promise of 3 years of software support and I won't know until 2023 because the farthest they are going back is the Galaxy S10 series.       

Might want to catch up and notice that the OP already bought a phone. 😛 I'm sure Samsung will keep its promise, it's just a question of whether updates will arrive in a timely fashion or carry any unwanted hiccups (like slowing the phone down).

My Note 10+ (2nd OS update) and my Fold 2 (1st OS update) have been updated to Androud 11. The former would have yet another and final OS update next year with security updates till 2023 I believe.

So far, Samsung has been keeping to their promise, but as someone had pointed, it's a question of how quickly or slowly these updates are rolled out.

Rig 1: AMD AM4 R9 3900X (12C/24T) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB Patriot Viper RGB 3600CL17 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO + 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Leopold FC660C + Logitech G703 | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | LG SL8YG soundbar | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | 64bit Win10 Pro

Rig 2: Intel i7 3960X (6C/12T) | Asus R4E | 16GB Corsair Dom Plat 2133mhz | PowerColor RX VEGA 64 Red Devil | iOppo HA-1 | Philips HTL9100 soundbar | Caselabs M8 | Seasonic X-1250 | Mistel Barocco MD770 RGB + Logitech G502 | Samsung Acer XR341CK 21:9 75Hz Freesync | 64bit Win10 Pro

HTPC Rig: Intel i7 4770K (4C/8T) | MSI Z87 G45 Gaming | 16GB RipJawsZ 1600mhz | Leadtek GTX 1080 Hurricane OC | Tt View 31 | Corsair HX-1050 | Logitech G613 + G603 | Panasonic 65" UHD TV | 64bit Win10 Pro