Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC overheating

BradWebster

So I finally received my 3070 last night and installed it. Made sure had the latest drivers and fired up Valley to see where my stock performance was at. My idle temp is about 46C but as soon as I started the benchmark it shot up to 93C and sat at 92C for the remainder of the benchmark. I let it get back down to idle temps and ran Heaven to see if the same thing would happen and sure enough it did. At this point I haven't even attempted to overclock due to the heating issue. I have a Corsair Crystal 280X case with 4 intake fans and 3 exhaust fans. I also changed my fans curves to be more aggressive and it had no effect. Not sure what to do and hoping some of yall can give me some ideas. Thanks all

46C is too high for idle temp. It's possible that the mount is bad or thermal paste isnt making proper contact.

You can take it apart and put it back together to see if thats the issue

3 hours ago, Aesis said:

46C is too high for idle temp. It's possible that the mount is bad or thermal paste isnt making proper contact.

You can take it apart and put it back together to see if thats the issue

Forgot to mention even at 92C it maintains it's factory boost at a stable 2070Mhz. I think I might just have to return it, I'd rather not void the warranty. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by BradWebster
I am dumb

Many factors affecting CPU and GPU temps, one of which is airflow within case. Do you have good airflow? My 6900 XT idles at about 32C with AC on at 24C, and hits a max of about 78C under load. I have great airflow in my case with 2x 200mm front intake fans, a single 140mm rear exhaust fan, plus 3x 120mm top exhaust fans on my 360mm AIO.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Best advice that i could give is to try and run it again in an open Airflow enviroment outside of the case, and use a more extensive monitoring utility like Open hardware Monitor or rather GPU-Z and try to find any anomalities there. If you find nothing suspicious there it's likely just a bad thermal paste application or improper seating as Aesis said.

Your best bet would be going the safe route for an expensive piece of hardware that you plan to use for years, by returning it and avoid messing with the warranty yourself.