USB Ports not working properly, cannot seem to find solution.

Shawn7727

Hi All,

I am having issues with my computer's USB ports. Last night they all seemed to stop working suddenly. There was an error about a power surge and how there is not enough power to use the device. I can have my keyboard plugged in and that seems to work, but plugging in my mouse causes the keyboard to cease functioning, and the mouse still does not work. Please help.

How many USB devices do you have plugged in? Just keyboard and mouse? Usually this occurs when something is drawing more power than the USB controller can deliver.

5 minutes ago, Hyrogenes said:

Is this the front IO or directly onto the motherboard

I am honestly not sure what this means or how to tell.

1 minute ago, Flannelist said:

How many USB devices do you have plugged in? Just keyboard and mouse? Usually this occurs when something is drawing more power than the USB controller can deliver.

At the time, I had a keyboard, mouse and controller. Never had the problem for several years, just happened suddenly last night. 

5 minutes ago, Shawn7727 said:

I am honestly not sure what this means or how to tell.

Are you plugged into the front or back USB ports?
Your case should have some on the front, and more on the back.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Are you plugged into the front or back USB ports?
Your case should have some on the front, and more on the back.

I am plugged into the front. I do have some on the back as well but have never used them.

Just now, Shawn7727 said:

I am plugged into the front. I do have some on the back as well but have never used them.

Use the back ports.

They're designed for keyboard and mouse loads.

The front ones are designed for USB flash drives and the like.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Use the back ports.

They're designed for keyboard and mouse loads.

The front ones are designed for USB flash drives and the like.

Same issue occurs with the back USB ports. I can plug in the key board and it works, but plugging in the mouse cause the keyboard to cease working, and the mouse does not work either.

^Agree to the above.

If you keep having issues, could also be an issue with a driver, for any of the devices, or the USB controller itself. If you go to Device manager (either right click the start menu or search is probably easiest) do you see any errors?

3 minutes ago, Flannelist said:

^Agree to the above.

If you keep having issues, could also be an issue with a driver, for any of the devices, or the USB controller itself. If you go to Device manager (either right click the start menu or search is probably easiest) do you see any errors?

If my other research is correct, this would be under Universal Serial Bus Controllers? If so, I have updated both of the controllers. And saw no errors.

1 minute ago, Hyrogenes said:

Do you have any other mice that you can use? 

I do not, but the keyboard also shuts down if I plug in the controller. I'll look to see if I can find another mouse though.

7 minutes ago, Shawn7727 said:

If my other research is correct, this would be under Universal Serial Bus Controllers? If so, I have updated both of the controllers. And saw no errors.

6 minutes ago, Shawn7727 said:

I do not, but the keyboard also shuts down if I plug in the controller. I'll look to see if I can find another mouse though.

But if you plug just the mouse and controller in at the same time is everything fine (no keyboard)? it could be the keyboard? And the other two devices getting plugged in is the thing that overloads the controller.

Also could be that updating the driver didn't fix. Could need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled. I would try that too.

Just now, Flannelist said:

But if you plug the mouse and controller in at the same time is everything fine? it could be the keyboard? And the other two devices getting plugged in is the thing that overloads the controller.

The mouse just does not work even if plugged in alone after a restart. Seems like the controller does work with the keyboard right now, strangely. I'm doing an update on something so I'll restart shortly to see if the mouse is the issue.