when should i upgrade my gtx 1080

MrBigBrainThe2nd
Go to solution Solved by RAS_3885,

Current stock shortages aside and being able to actually get a new GPU even if you want to...

The answer to this is always this. If the card is giving you the performance you want and the graphics settings you want then there's no reason to upgrade. if you're not happy with the performance then an upgrade makes sense. 

i have a an rog gtx 1080 and i don't know if i should invest in a 3060 or 3070. im not mr.money bucks either so i can't afford a $1,000 gpu

1 minute ago, MrBigBrainThe2nd said:

i have a an rog gtx 1080 and i don't know if i should invest in a 3060 or 3070. im not mr.money bucks either so i can't afford a $1,000 gpu

what are you using the GPU for?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

2 minutes ago, Downkey said:

what are you using the GPU for?

gaming. smaller less cumbersome games like fortnite or minecraft, but also some big boy games like cyberpunk, rust and Half life alyx

half life alyx is the one i really really wanna play

2 minutes ago, MrBigBrainThe2nd said:

gaming. smaller less cumbersome games like fortnite or minecraft, but also some big boy games like cyberpunk, rust and Half life alyx

half life alyx is the one i really really wanna play

all of those games should run on a 1080. You will have to drop some settings but you can run all of them at 60+FPS

as for when you should upgrade? I would wait for GPU pricing to become normal, and then buy a 3070/3080 (or 3070ti if thats released)

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Current stock shortages aside and being able to actually get a new GPU even if you want to...

The answer to this is always this. If the card is giving you the performance you want and the graphics settings you want then there's no reason to upgrade. if you're not happy with the performance then an upgrade makes sense. 

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Well, the good news is? You HAVE a $1,000 GPU in your possession right now. Because that - or close to it - is what a 1080ti is selling for USED right now.

As for getting a 3060 or 3070? LOL.  See above.

tl;dr: in about a year at this rate, you might be able to buy a card at a close to reasonable price. Before then? I doubt it.