[India] Social media platforms must remove content within 36 hours of govt order and other Censorship rules

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Are we really down to comparing the Indian Govt. to the CCP? There's no way the Indian Govt. can possibly think totalitarianism will ever be a successful endeavour in a country with over 1 billion people where its not been established before.

Again though, I don't actually disagree with anything you said, I'm just not 100% sure that's what's happening here.

Not saying it isn't happening, I'll just keep a bit of healthy scepticism until I see firm evidence to back it up.

Ehm, what?

So your argument for why it isn't happening is "because India has too many people"? That's a lot of assumptions being made.

1) We can see that government oppression works in China, which has slightly more people than India.

2) There is absolutely no evidence that totalitarianism can't be successful in a country where it hasn't been established before. Hell, you can even find evidence of the contrary. You might have heard of this guy called Adolf Hitler who kinda did just that. Another fun guy was Napoleon. Other cases would be Venezuela, Hungary, Chile and Iran. Although Chile and Iran are kind of special cases because they were influenced from the outside (the US). 

3) There is no evidence that "more people = harder to take control over". Especially not in a country like India where they have large diverse groups of people, where you only need to convince a majority (or even a minority, as long as it's bigger than the other minorities) that you should rule the country.

4) There are strong cases to be made for "boiling the frog" in this case. For example, as Rohith pointed out, democracy in India is actually slipping, and slipping quite fast.

Since discussion is focused on the political situation in India I think we can leave this Tech News topic here.

No political content, regardless of your views.

• If something spans politics and tech, the discussion must remain clearly within tech and must not descend into politics

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450