Benefits Of An AIO

venomx

Apart from aesthetics, is there any benefit ?
I heard the cooling isn't as good as a high end standard heatsink. I'd also be very weary about putting water into the computer

Also would you need to use the " pump " fan header or can you just use the standard " case fan " ones, or even the cpu fan header and use a splitter

AIOs are a mixed bag and not for everyone. It's true that an average AIO is only as good as a high-end heatsink, but the AIO does have the advantage that the rad can be mounted as an exhaust so the hot air goes out of the case where it belongs. I don't think the risk of leaks is that high, at least I have heard very few reports of ppl suffering catastrophic failures (custom loops are riskier because proper assembly is on the user). Reliability however is a big concern; a heatsink will last forever and fans are easily replaced but when the AIO pump dies (they last anywhere from 3-10 years) the whole unit has to be replaced or undergo high-skill maintenance/modification. Performance-wise where AIOs do shine is with really high dissipation (like 250W up) and on GPUs. Personally I'm hooked on them- my current system has AIO cooling on CPU & GPU-but like I said, not for everyone.

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

I recently upgraded my PC with new GPU, case and CPU cooler. 

My previous case was a Lian Li O11 Dynamic with a H150i Pro 360mm AIO cooler + 9x 120mm Corsair HD fans

New case is a BQ Pure Base 500DX with a NH-D15S cooler + 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 fans

I tested my CPU (9900K 5.0ghz all core) temps with Cinebench and Prime95 before and after I rebuilt my PC.

Old setup had a max CPU temp of 88°C.

New setup had a max CPU temp of 84°C

But the biggest difference is the noice level, the new case is much more quite. 

A good air-cooler is usually more quite than your average AIO. 

2019vs2021 - kopia.jpg

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

AIO can be bit better in hotter environments, or with very crammed cases. But thats about it. Except if you have personal preference.

AIOs have been around for years at this point. Faulty units, to point where they would leak, are very, very rare. Like 1 unit in every 100 000. Its more likely for pump to break than them to leak. So safety-wise, you are more likely to spill your drink than have issues with AIO.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv