Manjaro won't boot and giving failure message

Manjaro was working normally today, but when I tried to boot it tonight it gives me these messages. What should I do?

FE87ECBB-AC51-4AF6-BC74-4611DD5CCC45.jpeg

What did you do before this error that caused it to show up? Are you able to switch to and log into a different tty (ctrl + alt + f2/3/4)?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

13 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What did you do before this error that caused it to show up? Are you able to switch to and log into a different tty (ctrl + alt + f2/3/4)?

I think the computer was turned off while updating some packages. I am able to get some sort of command prompt when pressing ctrl + alt + f2. Is there some way I could reinstall the os but not lose any of my things? I am using the KDE version of manjaro btw. Also sorry for late response time.

2 minutes ago, penguin1 said:

I think the computer was turned off while updating some packages. I am able to get some sort of command prompt when pressing ctrl + alt + f2. Is there some way I could reinstall the os but not lose any of my things? I am using the KDE version of manjaro btw. Also sorry for late response time.

You should be prompted with a login screen if you switch to a different tty. If you only see a blinking cursor you'll have to boot a live USB and chroot in.

You could also just use that live USB to copy your home folder, reinstall, then move your home folder again, but this problem is likely a very easy fix so I wouldn't bother doing that just yet.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

15 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You should be prompted with a login screen if you switch to a different tty. If you only see a blinking cursor you'll have to boot a live USB and chroot in.

You could also just use that live USB to copy your home folder, reinstall, then move your home folder again, but this problem is likely a very easy fix so I wouldn't bother doing that just yet.

I think this the right place. Is this tty you were talking about?

85167D59-C0D4-4DBF-AFF5-45C8BB0663D5.jpeg

561A4A5C-11F7-412A-B221-21F78DCF762F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, penguin1 said:

I think this the right place. Is this tty you were talking about?

Yes, that's it. Now try running:

systemctl list-units --state=failed

and post any output here.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yes, that's it. Now try running:

systemctl list-units --state=failed

and post any output here.

Here are the outputs

image.jpg

1 minute ago, penguin1 said:

Here are the outputs

Can you try running these commands and show the output of each one?

systemctl status NetworkManager
systemctl status polkit
systemctl status sddm

Your problem seems to be that sddm (your login and display manager) is not starting.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Can you try running these commands and show the output of each one?

systemctl status NetworkManager
systemctl status polkit
systemctl status sddm

Your problem seems to be that sddm (your login and display manager) is not starting.

Here are the outputs

474A5E2B-3398-48B0-B9FE-5B5610C75043.jpeg

CEC54F5D-9609-444E-AA1D-29AD87CD5906.jpeg

CA0E17E6-5DBF-4D49-8A74-543B630F7A22.jpeg

Here are the outputs

I need the status of sddm, that is the most important one.

I also recommend just trying to run an upgrade:

pamac upgrade

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I need the status of sddm, that is the most important one.

I also recommend just trying to run an upgrade:

pamac upgrade

Oops forgot to attach here it is.

Also I get this error when trying to sudo pamac update

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 minutes ago, penguin1 said:

Oops forgot to attach here it is.

Also I get this error when trying to sudo pamac update

Can you pacman -Syyu?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, Tillamook233 said:

It could also be that you have settings in the BIOS/UEFI preventing linux from working properly. Check your settings. Secure boot always needs to be off for linux.

It is off

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Can you pacman -Syyu?

I don't think so. It just gives me a new line.  Unless this is what it supposed to do.

image.jpg

Just now, penguin1 said:

I don't think so. It just gives me a new line.  Unless this is what it supposed to do.

Wow you really fucked your system. No idea how you've accomplished that.

Somehow you need to get those libraries that are missing. Can you

pacman -S glib2

If that doesn't work, check if there is an old version in the cache with

ls /var/cache/pacman/pkg | grep glib2

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Wow you really fucked your system. No idea how you've accomplished that.

Somehow you need to get those libraries that are missing. Can you

pacman -S glib2

If that doesn't work, check if there is an old version in the cache with

ls /var/cache/pacman/pkg | grep glib2

The first command is not working. I can only assume that it was updating when I turned it off.

image.jpg

Just now, penguin1 said:

The first command is not working. I can only assume that it was updating when I turned it off.

image.jpg

Try running

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/glib2-2.66.6-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

It's possible I made a typo so I'd just tab complete. Doesn't really matter what version.

If you can't downgrade the package (effectively reinstalling it) I think the easiest option would be to just copy home folder to an external drive and reinstall.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Try running

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/glib2-2.66.6-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

It's possible I made a typo so I'd just tab complete. Doesn't really matter what version.

If you can't downgrade the package (effectively reinstalling it) I think the easiest option would be to just copy home folder to an external drive and reinstall.

Is this what it should have done?

image.jpg

Just now, penguin1 said:

Is this what it should have done?

Nope. Not sure why it's not working. If you can't interact with pacman at all you're kinda screwed.

You could ask on r/linux4noobs or similar subreddits but my last advice would be to just copy home folder to a safe place and reinstall.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Nope. Not sure why it's not working. If you can't interact with pacman at all you're kinda screwed.

You could ask on r/linux4noobs or similar subreddits but my last advice would be to just copy home folder to a safe place and reinstall.

When I do a man pacman it shows nothing. I think pacman is trashed.

image.jpg

When I do a man pacman it shows nothing. I think pacman is trashed.

Yeah I have no idea what you did lol. I'd just say reinstall. Who knows what else is fucked.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈