GPU Hybrid Troubleshooting

Go to solution Solved by v0id,

So I ended up having to take it to a shop as I didn't have the tools necessary to take it apart (and I didn't want to risk anything with the GPU market the way it is). Thermal paste was redone and it was cleaned out, and when I reinstalled I put the tubes on the bottom as requested. My temps have improved a little but not much; the shop concluded that there isn't enough liquid to adequately cool the card anymore and the pump has also slowed down, so combine those and the card basically runs toasty even playing less intensive games. So I guess I'll just have to deal with thermal throttling and hope for this semiconductor shortage to come to an end. Thanks to all those who answered...this isn't technically solved but I appreciate the input regardless.

@Mick Naughty

@Stockholmes 

Hey all.

I purchased a 980ti hybrid from EVGA almost six years ago, and lately my temps have been pretty toasty compared to a year or so ago. I used to sit around the low 30s at idle and maybe 50 or so under load, but now I've noticed that even under just general web browsing, my temps increase steadily until they hit the low 50s and then plateau; they won't get any lower after my system has been on for any length of time. Under real loads (gaming, torture test, etc) they get into the high 60s but never cools below 50. I understand that thermally the card is in no danger until well above 80, but still the numbers are concerning.

The tubing is VERY warm even under idle though I do feel the liquid moving, and the rear exhaust is also very warm. Adjusting the fan does nothing (even ramping it up to 100%) to cool the card. I'm not very mechanically inclined and don't trust myself to tear it apart...but what do you guys think? The GPU market is chaotic right now and I really would rather not purchase another card if I don't have to. I'm using Precision X1 to monitor the temps and make adjustments. I also swapped the original fan that came with it for a Noctua one that is designed for radiator use, and that is plugged directly into the motherboard. I've cleared dust out with some compressed air the best I could. I've also ran the card at stock and have never overclocked it since the day I got it; I literally plopped it into my system and never touched it apart from cleaning it every so often.

As a side note, this is a brand new system I put together only a couple weeks ago. I switched teams to Ryzen. I don't know if that matters or not. The case is a TUF GT501 and has three intake fans, a rear exhaust w/ radiator for the GPU and top exhaust for my CPU AIO.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: I ran a GPU specific benchmark (Heaven) and my temps slowly climbed until they hit their max safe temp (83 set my X1).

fan.PNG

idle.PNG

PXL_20210224_232855987.jpg

PXL_20210224_233818145.jpg

Edited by v0id

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

It could be that the thermal paste has dried up. Weird though that your card only goes to upper 60's from lower 50's if that's the case, I would think it would go higher. Anyway, if it's not going higher than that I wouldn't worry (yet). It might be a good idea to replace the thermal paste if it does. Or maybe replace it now, even.

3 hours ago, Stockholmes said:

It could be that the thermal paste has dried up. Weird though that your card only goes to upper 60's from lower 50's if that's the case, I would think it would go higher. Anyway, if it's not going higher than that I wouldn't worry (yet). It might be a good idea to replace the thermal paste if it does. Or maybe replace it now, even.

I have a suspicion you may be correct but even if I wanted to tear the thing down, I can't find any instructions online or on Youtube. And I decided to run a GPU specific torture test, as my other ones were more system wide, and my temps just climbed and climbed until they peaked at 83. My rad was almost too hot to touch! I think that's pretty indicative that it's not able to cool anymore efficiently.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

Paste and pads are prolly way too old. Isn’t hard to take apart. Hybrids are even easier than normal cards. 
Also the tube should be on the bottom too keep the air trapped up top. Especially in the case of an old aio which will have even more air in it now. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Also the tube should be on the bottom too keep the air trapped up top

I'll give that a shot...do you think the placement of the rad is ideal? I've had it as exhaust in that location its entire life but I've never thought of placing it up top or in the front.

6 hours ago, v0id said:

I'll give that a shot...do you think the placement of the rad is ideal? I've had it as exhaust in that location its entire life but I've never thought of placing it up top or in the front.

Don’t see that really bothering anything. 
All of my rads have always been exhaust. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up having to take it to a shop as I didn't have the tools necessary to take it apart (and I didn't want to risk anything with the GPU market the way it is). Thermal paste was redone and it was cleaned out, and when I reinstalled I put the tubes on the bottom as requested. My temps have improved a little but not much; the shop concluded that there isn't enough liquid to adequately cool the card anymore and the pump has also slowed down, so combine those and the card basically runs toasty even playing less intensive games. So I guess I'll just have to deal with thermal throttling and hope for this semiconductor shortage to come to an end. Thanks to all those who answered...this isn't technically solved but I appreciate the input regardless.

@Mick Naughty

@Stockholmes