Faulty motherboard?

Tyrion007

I recently purchased an MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk. I wanted to pair it with a 5800X. 

So I’m trying to flash the bios using a USB but have been unsuccessful. 
The flash bios led keeps blinking forever and the CPU debug led is also permanently on for some reason.

I have looked up solutions online and tried everything. Tried different usbs, cleared cmos using the jumper. Cleared cmos by taking out the battery (I left the battery out for 1h). After all of that it’s still the same result.

The build would not post. GPU and fans would light up but just end up with a black screen.

Now I’ve also tried putting in a 3700X that I borrowed from a friend to see if I would post, and it still doesn’t post at all. Debug CPU led still lights up with the 3700X.

I have ran out of ideas. Is it a faulty motherboard?

I have tested every other component on a different PC and they all work fine. So I’m pretty sure it’s the motherboard that’s the problem but just wanted to make sure.

Sounds like something went wrong during the BIOS flash. It can take quite a while, depending on the speed of the USB and the size of the file. It's always best to use a USB drive with an LED indicator, so you can make sure it's actually flashing before you give up. I'd try flashing it one more time from USB just to make sure, and if that doesn't work you should start processing an RMA. Did you make sure to name the BIOS file MSI.ROM? You should also make sure you're plugging it into the correct USB port (see the attached image).

Capture.PNG

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

8 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Sounds like something went wrong during the BIOS flash. It can take quite a while, depending on the speed of the USB and the size of the file. It's always best to use a USB drive with an LED indicator, so you can make sure it's actually flashing before you give up. I'd try flashing it one more time from USB just to make sure, and if that doesn't work you should start processing an RMA. Did you make sure to name the BIOS file MSI.ROM? You should also make sure you're plugging it into the correct USB port (see the attached image).

Capture.PNG

Yes I made sure the file name is MSI.ROM and I also checked it was formatted to FAT32. 

I am trying to flash the BIOS one last time as I am writing this. It is in the correct USB port. But it’s already been around 40 minutes and both USB and flash BIOS LED are still flashing.

Should I leave it overnight? And then process an RMA if it’s still not working?

26 minutes ago, Tyrion007 said:

Yes I made sure the file name is MSI.ROM and I also checked it was formatted to FAT32. 

I am trying to flash the BIOS one last time as I am writing this. It is in the correct USB port. But it’s already been around 40 minutes and both USB and flash BIOS LED are still flashing.

Should I leave it overnight? And then process an RMA if it’s still not working?

No real reason not to. If it's still not working in the morning, go ahead with the RMA. 

One more thing, are your CPU and RAM installed? They should be taken out for best compatibility. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

46 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

No real reason not to. If it's still not working in the morning, go ahead with the RMA. 

One more thing, are your CPU and RAM installed? They should be taken out for best compatibility. 

Ok I will leave it till the morning. 

No the CPU and RAM are not installed. The only things connected are the 24-pin cable and the CPU cable.