Max outlet pull coolermaster MWE 650W 80+ Gold, full modular

Niswendel

So I’m making sure I’m not asking too much of my surge protector and am wondering what the max input of the above model is, 

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-gold-650-full-modular/#specifications

It says

100-240V

12-6A 

so 1440W max pull?

i know that 80+ gold doesn’t always work at its peak efficiency.

It probably would pull ~720W from the wall if you're asking it to deliver a full 650W. It's not like your PSU is 50% efficient at full sauce.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, flibberdipper said:

It probably would pull ~720W from the wall if you're asking it to deliver a full 650W. It's not like your PSU is 50% efficient at full sauce.

Ya but 80+ isn’t all that great at testing all scenarios

1 minute ago, Niswendel said:

I'll reiterate this to make it as clear as possible: no PSU worth its weight in salt manufactured in the last decade will be 50% efficient under full load.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

9 minutes ago, Niswendel said:

You are the only one that even mentioned 80+. Also, why would full load be a scenario that is relevant, and one that 80+ is inaccurate for?

Cybenetics measured it to be 85.8% efficient at 650W and 115V input, drawing 757W from the wall. The 80+ report measured 89.5% efficient at 650W, and 724W input. This is all easily available data that you could have found yourself.

:)

45 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You are the only one that even mentioned 80+. Also, why would full load be a scenario that is relevant, and one that 80+ is inaccurate for?

Cybenetics measured it to be 85.8% efficient at 650W and 115V input, drawing 757W from the wall. The 80+ report measured 89.5% efficient at 650W, and 724W input. This is all easily available data that you could have found yourself.

I apologize if I’m out of it, I have diagnosed OCD and so this is setting me off. My concern is it’s peak possible capacity, meaning least efficient (ie highest temps etc) power draw.

53 minutes ago, Niswendel said:

My concern is it’s peak possible capacity

If that's what your interested in your surge protector outlet will probably handle 30A no problem.

1 hour ago, Niswendel said:

My concern is it’s peak possible capacity, meaning least efficient (ie highest temps etc) power draw.

It depends on the power supply, but most ones reach peak efficiency somewhere around half of it's max power draw. However, from that point up until full power draw the decrease in efficiency is pretty small, usually only a couple %. Power supplies operate at least efficiency at low loads. 
This added together means that your peak input power will be at full load and with a slightly decreased efficiency from what it's max rating is, for an 80+ gold PSU you'll be above 80% close to the 90% mark.

Refer to the chart in this wikipedia article to estimate efficiency at different levels of power draw of 80+ PSUs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Taking the estimate of 80%, which is far below spec but calculating it safely, you're looking at a max power draw of around 815 watts.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

1 hour ago, -iSynthesis said:

It depends on the power supply, but most ones reach peak efficiency somewhere around half of it's max power draw. However, from that point up until full power draw the decrease in efficiency is pretty small, usually only a couple %. Power supplies operate at least efficiency at low loads. 
This added together means that your peak input power will be at full load and with a slightly decreased efficiency from what it's max rating is, for an 80+ gold PSU you'll be above 80% close to the 90% mark.

Refer to the chart in this wikipedia article to estimate efficiency at different levels of power draw of 80+ PSUs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Taking the estimate of 80%, which is far below spec but calculating it safely, you're looking at a max power draw of around 815 watts.

The problem is with 80+ certification not being fully accurate with high temps, and the capability for companies to submit especially good PSUs

9 minutes ago, Niswendel said:

The problem is with 80+ certification not being fully accurate with high temps, and the capability for companies to submit especially good PSUs

I don't know where you're getting this from.

Yes... 80 PLUS isn't an accurate test, like a proper PSU review.  But operating temperature does not impact efficiency.  When they say a PSU is rated at 40°C, for example, that means it can't output full wattage at 40°C.  That doesn't mean it's less efficient at 40°C.

Don't look at 80 PLUS at all.  How about that?  Check out reviews on Tom's Hardware, TechPowerUp, videos from Hardware Busters (these are all the same reviewer) or test reports on Cybenetics.com (also the same guy).

On 2/24/2021 at 6:20 PM, jonnyGURU said:

I don't know where you're getting this from.

Yes... 80 PLUS isn't an accurate test, like a proper PSU review.  But operating temperature does not impact efficiency.  When they say a PSU is rated at 40°C, for example, that means it can't output full wattage at 40°C.  That doesn't mean it's less efficient at 40°C.

Don't look at 80 PLUS at all.  How about that?  Check out reviews on Tom's Hardware, TechPowerUp, videos from Hardware Busters (these are all the same reviewer) or test reports on Cybenetics.com (also the same guy).

You mean it can output full wattage right?

53 minutes ago, Niswendel said:

You mean it can output full wattage right?

If the load requires it.  A PSU only puts out what is demanded of it.

17 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

If the load requires it.  A PSU only puts out what is demanded of it.

Ya, you said at max temp )which is actually 45, it can’t do full wattage. I’m just gonnna give it it’s own surge protector for peace of mind