Issue with windows firewall and blocking file sharing through openvpn

Greetings and my apologies as I am sure this issue has been discussed before. But, all of the threads I found related to this issue where not very easy to understand.

To begin, I am setting up a small home storage pc/NAS I am using windows 10 as that is what I am most familiar with. I have managed to get it set up to work through file sharing so that anyone on the network can simply put in the file path and use it like any other drive. This systems should work fine as I just need it to store bulk data later, on I will add plex to stream videos. 

I am now trying to set it up so that I can access it remotely. My router supports openvpn natively so I decided to role with that, I can connect to the network fine but can only access files if I turn off the systems public firewall. Obviously this is not a great option as it makes it far more vulnerable, most of the suggestions I have seen suggest editing the inbound rules in the windows firewall settings. However, I am still rather new to networking in general so most of the information I have seen does not make much sense to me. I have seen a possible solution is to add my vpn's subnet as an exception to the firewall, how would I go about doing this? I am not sure what my subnet is or how I would add the exception. 

This seems like a software issue but just incase here are the system specs just in case:

OS = Windows 10

VPN = OpenVPN

Case/Motherboard = Dell Optiplex 390

CPU = i7 2600

Ram = DDR3 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) 1600MHz

Storage = Seagate BarraCuda 8TB x 3 in windows parity for the storage array and a WD 500GB HHD  as an OS drive

GPU = GTX 1080

PSU = 550w Bronze

Router = Asus RT-AX58U

Sorry for the rambling nature of my post and for my general incompetence. 

A huge thank you to anyone who is able to offer advice or suggestions!

a) You have the network set to Private?

b) You have "Changed advanced sharing settings" under Network and Sharing Center set to Turn on file and printer sharing?

I've not encountered issues around OpenVPN not working with remote file shares while being able to access them from other LAN machines, but my Untangle router is what is serving OpenVPN so it could also be a configuration thing:

client
resolv-retry 20
keepalive 10 60
nobind
mute-replay-warnings
ns-cert-type server
comp-lzo
max-routes 500
verb 1
persist-key
persist-tun
explicit-exit-notify 1
dev tun
auth-user-pass
proto udp
port 1194
cipher AES-128-CBC
remote ********

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)