Games that are easy on the potato and wallet (2021 edition)

Preface

I recognize that the suggestions I will make here are neither innovative nor timely, however it is not until several events have materialized that I am moved to compose this list. The first of these is the realization that the current supply conditions of computer hardware will not improve in considerable time, as many may be aware by now. This has led me to reflect on what it is that I truly expect from video games; what are the things I enjoy more from the games I play? Of course, many have already suggested/declared that they may look into their "backlog" of video games and play those until the time when the market conditions allow them to upgrade their systems. These thoughts are not of my own design and I take no credit for having created them. However, it is the following two considerations that warrant this list. The first is that there are undoubtedly people that do not have a so-called "backlog" of games to fall unto and may just as well give up on PC gaming because of it (a series of events nobody should wish for in this forum, surely). Those that, for whatever reason, cannot afford the devices they want/need, should not be dissuaded from partaking in our common hobby simply because of conditions beyond their control. The second consideration is as well a current obstacle that this list will hopefully overcome; there exists little in what I have seen in this forum directing the promotion of "great" games towards those who have extremely limited hardware (dual-core CPUs, ancient/non-existent GPUs, etc.).

I understand that there are topics dedicated to just that and if this were the only issue this particular topic would not exist. However, I strongly believe it is important to give greater visibility to these games now and rather than create endless threads of how one should not buy something now we should be motivating the community to explore and recommend games that need not the highest frame-rates and bring forth the best of PC gaming. I suggest in replacing the perspective of a lack of hardware with a preponderance of software, and so it is to this end that I make these personalized recommendations.

Disclaimer: I have no stake in any of the developers, publishers, or parent companies that hold any title to any of the games mentioned whatsoever and stand to gain nothing from their success. These recommendations are made in the interest of PC gaming and entertainment.

Darkest Dungeon:

This game is as fun as it is punishing, utilizing roguelike and RPG elements to manage a dungeon-crawling team. The Gothic atmosphere and art design are (imo) second to none and the sidescroller design creates tons of tension when exploring the monster-infested dungeons. Gameplay consists of slight micro-managing and critical decision-making; every detail is important and every expense spared is paid for in blood. Best of all, it can run on any PC as long as it has a x86/x64 architecture; that's it, that's all you need for this game. It is totally worth it at the $24.99 retail but can be frequently found for less than half that price.

Pros: System requirements are literally "potato", gameplay is addictive, can be played with controller/kb+m and even just the mouse, no microtransactions, excellent (and creepy) soundtrack.

Cons: Your team will die. A lot.

GRIS:

This is the epitome of what it means to be an "artsy-game". It's a 2D platforming puzzle(ish) game with an abstract yet heart-moving story, but by far the best thing is the art style. Playing the game is, in a way, interacting with a canvas. You'd have to play the game because I don't want to spoil too much about the game, the story is really that special (at least to me). None of the puzzles are irritatingly hard or boringly simple, with every "stage" representing a perfect amount of difficulty. As long as you have a dual-core, integrated graphics and $17 you are ready for GRIS.

Pros: Music by Berlinist (the good stuff), also available on Mac OS if that's your thing, great and (possibly) relatable story, doesn't need high-end hardware to hit 60 wallpapers-per-second.

Cons: Relatively short, not a lot of replay value except for getting great screenshots.

Hades:

Ok, you've probably already heard of this game to death so I'll keep it brief. Son of Hades wants to break out of Hell and the gods help him along the way with different abilities, boss fights and excellent characters in a roguelike action game. Honestly it's pretty cool and as long as you have 8GB of system RAM and a dedicated GPU it is a good buy at $25.

Pros: Great gameplay and soundtrack, stylish character designs, lots of replay value.

Cons: It can be a little hard to figure out at first, trial-and-error learning can be frustrating late-game.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak:

This prequel to the beloved Homeworld series brings the best elements of the 4X genre to the ground-based RTS genre. It's a great place to start if one is unfamiliar with the RTS genre and has an amazing campaign to boot (with a great plot-twist if you've played the previous games). Instead of the traditional base-building mechanics these are supplemented with the carrier mobile bases that tread along the vast desert planet. The maps are on the smaller side of what is customary for RTS games but this means fights are not prone to getting needlessly long and the campaign is still plenty long. It is a bit steep in price ($49.99 retail) but on sale it is definitely worth the buy and can run well on anything above a low-end Maxwell GPU and a dual-core CPU.

Pros: Amazing story (and not just for an RTS), combat feels impactful and good strategy is rewarded, level design is surprisingly varied for a desert.

Cons: Some missions are a bit overzealous with the enemy spawn rate, might want to stay away if you don't like sand.

Hyper Light Drifter:

A 16-bit style game with the high-octane action of a AAA title, this game is more of a love-letter to the classic Zelda games but with the difficulty cranked up to 11. The art style is really charming and the soundtrack (by Disasterpeace) is worthy of a disk release. It has a fun variety of weapons and skins (cloaks) to change playstyle and lots of hidden areas and achievements for (possibly) hundreds of hours of entertainment. I comes in all flavors too; Windows, Mac and Linux. LINUX!

Pros: Fast-paced gameplay, dashing>>>running, epic boss fights, replay value for weeks, all for 20 bucks.

Cons: Can be difficult in the beginning, best played with a gamepad; kb+m work but..., still haven't 800 dash (◕︵◕).

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005):

The man, the Myth, The LEGEND. This game runs on anything with DirectX 9 support and to this day plays just like the simulations. Chances are you've played this game at some point, but have you played it with... mods? The graphics mods, gameplay and map overhauls put this game up there with the best today and it still has a substantial playerbase. Also, since it is a really old and lacks any type of competitive scene the general toxicity is virtually nil. For ten bucks (or $5 on sale) it's a great game to just sit down, set 'em up and knock 'em down.

Pros: Runs buttery smooth, mods galore, Heroes vs. Villains is illegal amounts of fun, The Force will be with you, always.

Cons: Looks dated without graphics mods, you didn't watch those wrist rockets ᇂﮌᇂ).

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action:

Cyberpunk! Bartender! Action! For the visual novel fans this is a must-play. It's surprisingly mature for its anime-esque appearance and quirky characters but is extremely engaging. Instead of choosing a dialogue option, you interact with characters through the drinks you serve them. You can serve drinks based on what they ask you or what you think they really want/need. It's a perfect game for relaxing and staying comfy indoors. Runs on potatoes, costs as much as a bag of potatoes, infinite playtime.

Pros: Branching storylines, hilarious characters, EveryDayIsNight.wav, DOROTHYNQUISITION.

Cons: If you don't like visual novels, I guess...

These are my suggestions for those that are still undecided between yielding to a scalper or looking for other games to play. Chances are, your computer can run these games and if you do not have them I encourage you to try them out. My hope is that these events turn the masses of PC gamers to give more renown for less-flashy games and perhaps even create a collective consciousness behind what games we, as a community, like to play and what we want from them. I would love to hear your own suggestions on what "low-spec" games you like to play and would like others (and me) to try.

11 minutes ago, BookofNeat said:

Preface

I recognize that the suggestions I will make here are neither innovative nor timely, however it is not until several events have materialized that I am moved to compose this list. The first of these is the realization that the current supply conditions of computer hardware will not improve in considerable time, as many may be aware by now. This has led me to reflect on what it is that I truly expect from video games; what are the things I enjoy more from the games I play? Of course, many have already suggested/declared that they may look into their "backlog" of video games and play those until the time when the market conditions allow them to upgrade their systems. These thoughts are not of my own design and I take no credit for having created them. However, it is the following two considerations that warrant this list. The first is that there are undoubtedly people that do not have a so-called "backlog" of games to fall unto and may just as well give up on PC gaming because of it (a series of events nobody should wish for in this forum, surely). Those that, for whatever reason, cannot afford the devices they want/need, should not be dissuaded from partaking in our common hobby simply because of conditions beyond their control. The second consideration is as well a current obstacle that this list will hopefully overcome; there exists little in what I have seen in this forum directing the promotion of "great" games towards those who have extremely limited hardware (dual-core CPUs, ancient/non-existent GPUs, etc.).

I understand that there are topics dedicated to just that and if this were the only issue this particular topic would not exist. However, I strongly believe it is important to give greater visibility to these games now and rather than create endless threads of how one should not buy something now we should be motivating the community to explore and recommend games that need not the highest frame-rates and bring forth the best of PC gaming. I suggest in replacing the perspective of a lack of hardware with a preponderance of software, and so it is to this end that I make these personalized recommendations.

Disclaimer: I have no stake in any of the developers, publishers, or parent companies that hold any title to any of the games mentioned whatsoever and stand to gain nothing from their success. These recommendations are made in the interest of PC gaming and entertainment.

Darkest Dungeon:

This game is as fun as it is punishing, utilizing roguelike and RPG elements to manage a dungeon-crawling team. The Gothic atmosphere and art design are (imo) second to none and the sidescroller design creates tons of tension when exploring the monster-infested dungeons. Gameplay consists of slight micro-managing and critical decision-making; every detail is important and every expense spared is paid for in blood. Best of all, it can run on any PC as long as it has a x86/x64 architecture; that's it, that's all you need for this game. It is totally worth it at the $24.99 retail but can be frequently found for less than half that price.

Pros: System requirements are literally "potato", gameplay is addictive, can be played with controller/kb+m and even just the mouse, no microtransactions, excellent (and creepy) soundtrack.

Cons: Your team will die. A lot.

GRIS:

This is the epitome of what it means to be an "artsy-game". It's a 2D platforming puzzle(ish) game with an abstract yet heart-moving story, but by far the best thing is the art style. Playing the game is, in a way, interacting with a canvas. You'd have to play the game because I don't want to spoil too much about the game, the story is really that special (at least to me). None of the puzzles are irritatingly hard or boringly simple, with every "stage" representing a perfect amount of difficulty. As long as you have a dual-core, integrated graphics and $17 you are ready for GRIS.

Pros: Music by Berlinist (the good stuff), also available on Mac OS if that's your thing, great and (possibly) relatable story, doesn't need high-end hardware to hit 60 wallpapers-per-second.

Cons: Relatively short, not a lot of replay value except for getting great screenshots.

Hades:

Ok, you've probably already heard of this game to death so I'll keep it brief. Son of Hades wants to break out of Hell and the gods help him along the way with different abilities, boss fights and excellent characters in a roguelike action game. Honestly it's pretty cool and as long as you have 8GB of system RAM and a dedicated GPU it is a good buy at $25.

Pros: Great gameplay and soundtrack, stylish character designs, lots of replay value.

Cons: It can be a little hard to figure out at first, trial-and-error learning can be frustrating late-game.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak:

This prequel to the beloved Homeworld series brings the best elements of the 4X genre to the ground-based RTS genre. It's a great place to start if one is unfamiliar with the RTS genre and has an amazing campaign to boot (with a great plot-twist if you've played the previous games). Instead of the traditional base-building mechanics these are supplemented with the carrier mobile bases that tread along the vast desert planet. The maps are on the smaller side of what is customary for RTS games but this means fights are not prone to getting needlessly long and the campaign is still plenty long. It is a bit steep in price ($49.99 retail) but on sale it is definitely worth the buy and can run well on anything above a low-end Maxwell GPU and a dual-core CPU.

Pros: Amazing story (and not just for an RTS), combat feels impactful and good strategy is rewarded, level design is surprisingly varied for a desert.

Cons: Some missions are a bit overzealous with the enemy spawn rate, might want to stay away if you don't like sand.

Hyper Light Drifter:

A 16-bit style game with the high-octane action of a AAA title, this game is more of a love-letter to the classic Zelda games but with the difficulty cranked up to 11. The art style is really charming and the soundtrack (by Disasterpeace) is worthy of a disk release. It has a fun variety of weapons and skins (cloaks) to change playstyle and lots of hidden areas and achievements for (possibly) hundreds of hours of entertainment. I comes in all flavors too; Windows, Mac and Linux. LINUX!

Pros: Fast-paced gameplay, dashing>>>running, epic boss fights, replay value for weeks, all for 20 bucks.

Cons: Can be difficult in the beginning, best played with a gamepad; kb+m work but..., still haven't 800 dash (◕︵◕).

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005):

The man, the Myth, The LEGEND. This game runs on anything with DirectX 9 support and to this day plays just like the simulations. Chances are you've played this game at some point, but have you played it with... mods? The graphics mods, gameplay and map overhauls put this game up there with the best today and it still has a substantial playerbase. Also, since it is a really old and lacks any type of competitive scene the general toxicity is virtually nil. For ten bucks (or $5 on sale) it's a great game to just sit down, set 'em up and knock 'em down.

Pros: Runs buttery smooth, mods galore, Heroes vs. Villains is illegal amounts of fun, The Force will be with you, always.

Cons: Looks dated without graphics mods, you didn't watch those wrist rockets ᇂﮌᇂ).

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action:

Cyberpunk! Bartender! Action! For the visual novel fans this is a must-play. It's surprisingly mature for its anime-esque appearance and quirky characters but is extremely engaging. Instead of choosing a dialogue option, you interact with characters through the drinks you serve them. You can serve drinks based on what they ask you or what you think they really want/need. It's a perfect game for relaxing and staying comfy indoors. Runs on potatoes, costs as much as a bag of potatoes, infinite playtime.

Pros: Branching storylines, hilarious characters, EveryDayIsNight.wav, DOROTHYNQUISITION.

Cons: If you don't like visual novels, I guess...

These are my suggestions for those that are still undecided between yielding to a scalper or looking for other games to play. Chances are, your computer can run these games and if you do not have them I encourage you to try them out. My hope is that these events turn the masses of PC gamers to give more renown for less-flashy games and perhaps even create a collective consciousness behind what games we, as a community, like to play and what we want from them. I would love to hear your own suggestions on what "low-spec" games you like to play and would like others (and me) to try.

Also try Warzone 2100 (runs on old GMA 950 graphics) and 0 A.D. (0 A.D. is a bit resource heavy when you up the settings). 

Most of my favorite games run on a potato.

1) XCOM UFO Defense. This is a 1994 Dos Box game. 

2) Battle Zone 98 Redux. Hover tanks.

3) Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. The Original 1994 game.

4)X-Com: Apocalypse. 1997 game that like XCOM UFO Defense uses random tile maps.

5)Battlezone: Combat Commander. More hover tanks.

6)Total Annihilation. Better than the sequels.

7) Oblivion. Can be modded like Skyrim.

8)Stronghold HD. Building defenses.

9)SpellForce. The original.

10) Fallout 3/NV. Get them before Bethesda makes SE versions.   

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

TLDR: VNs 🤷🏼

Also +1 for 

20210225_184957.jpg.5dcccd0c379afcf70f17984a828b7c5c.jpg

PS: also, Disaster Report 4 (idk if it runs on a potato but I'm sure it was made on a potato) very hilarious 3D game with VN playstyle and pacing, it's really hilarious though and a gem, just like VA-11 HALL-A (even though very different in style obviously) 

In the same vein (although different style again) BLOODSTAINED - a "Castlevania" game which imo lacks the "vania" a little, and also doesn't play the same and the pacing is a bit off - I do remember I beat one of the earlier original Castlevania games in like 3 hours by simply button mashing - this is a bit different and more complex, still sort of a pretty good 2D beat em up with a nice artstyle that probably even runs on tomatoes due to its simple an 2D (2.5D) graphics. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...

You can't forget Xonotic, it's basically jazzed up Quake 3 with better graphics made for modern hardware.

And supertuxkart...

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain