[Rumor] Prossor: Small Mac Pro and redesigned iMac

Zmimgo
2 hours ago, Arika S said:

i want to see the people's houses that buy the blue or green ones, i cannot think of any decor that would make those colours fit in

Got a boomer here!

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

21 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Got a boomer here!

Perhaps.  In the 70’s and 80’s that puce was often called “institutional green” got roundly hated on.  It was one of the big fashion colors of the 60’s though Captain Kirk even had a uniform in that color.  The puce was popular because it was both hip and cheap.  A double whammy for anyone decorating an office. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The (to me) more exiting rumor from prosser was omitted from this post.

Prosser has now said that the new ‌Mac Pro‌ will feature a design that looks like "three to four Mac minis stacked on top of each other," and provided renders of the purported new look.

2B4B7016-4B94-445E-942C-0B0488C16642.thumb.jpeg.fc6808c0e11fe001b814986bfdbb1ef5.jpeg

Internally, Prosser says that the ‌Mac Pro‌ will be designed with the "compute unit on the bottom" and a "big heat sink on top."

Depending on how expensive this one will be (if rumor is true) my M1 Mini might get a really short life with me. Not that I need the potential power of this MP but because it creates a want in me.

5 hours ago, DarkEnergy said:

Power cable sold separately

-Apple probably

4 hours ago, RoseLuck462 said:

I mean how many do you have?

I have an entire plastic container of them lol

.. But they will probably use a proprietary connector so you need to buy it from them

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 hour ago, Spindel said:

The (to me) more exiting rumor from prosser was omitted from this post.

2B4B7016-4B94-445E-942C-0B0488C16642.thumb.jpeg.fc6808c0e11fe001b814986bfdbb1ef5.jpeg

Depending on how expensive this one will be (if rumor is true) my M1 Mini might get a really short life with me. Not that I need the potential power of this MP but because it creates a want in me.

Exciting for me too.  *wants to know what is in the box*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

.. But they will probably use a proprietary connector so you need to buy it from them

Didn’t use to.  Was either a standard compressed 3 pin (it’s got a name.  I forget it) or a Sony plug if there was no ground.  The Apple ac power cables were really high quality though. Lasted longer than the other ones.  Better material.

6 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂/s 

IMHO, it looks way worse than the Studio. 

Both are bad in the end, due to locking the display to the computer. Never liked that about all-in-ones.

MacMini Pro + Apple Display > iMac.

I donno man some all-in-ones with really nice displays can be a good value if your use case doesn’t require having a discrete GPU.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The thing is while the m1 didn’t have a discrete gpu, the iMacs are going to need one

Why would the iMacs need a discrete GPU when Apple has proven that their their in-house GPU can perform well. They can simply scale up the current M1 and add more GPU cores while it sip less power than anything Intel or AMD has to offer. Adding a discrete GPU will simply ruin their design for Apple Silicon. https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10602/ 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Why would the iMacs need a discrete GPU when Apple has proven that their their in-house GPU can perform well. They can simply scale up the current M1 and add more GPU cores while it sip less power than anything Intel or AMD has to offer. Adding a discrete GPU will simply ruin their design for Apple Silicon. https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10602/ 

Also for a lot of workloads the GPU in the M1 has faster in application performance than even some of the more high end GPUs so it would be either a side grade or down grade in performance with a huge increase in power draw, makes no sense.

-Threads merged-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m talking about the new iMacs.  If they didn’t put a discrete GPU in them they’re going to fail in the market they have. 

They don't have to. Considering that the M1's iGPU is already very powerful considering its power envelope, a scaled up version would be much beefier to the point where a discrete GPU around the class of the GTX 1650 would not be necessary, all while consuming less power.

Plus, if the iMac were to actually come in these colors, it sounds like they are targeted towards consumer use.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It doesn’t hold its own against a desktop 1650 and the iMacs are desktops. Even ignoring that the 1650 is a years old design.  It will be fighting with desktop  3080s and 6800xts. How do you think that bout will go?

The integrated gpu is great for an integrated gpu. If they can beat a desktop discrete gpu with an integrated gpu they’ve crushed it so hard there is no reason to have discrete GPUs any more.  I don’t think they will.   A big discrete gpu can easily pull over 200 watts. Frequently multiple times more wattage than a cpu to match it.  It’s possible I suppose that both Nvidia and AMD have been utterly leapfrogged and find themselves irrelevant because their tech is Stone Age by comparison.  I kind of doubt it though. 

You really don’t get it. 

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The rumored iMac looks like Apple tried to make an iPad version of the Galaxy View. What is with Apple trying to make almost all of their products look like an enlarged iPhone X. Maybe we'd see a iPod Touch with iPhone X-style bezels in the future.

I edit my posts quite often, please refresh your browser if you can.

Specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
RAM : 16GB 3200MHZ CL16 RAM

GPU : ASRock Challenger RX 6600
Display : Acer KA242Y
Mainboard : GIGABYTE B450M DS3H WIFI
Storage : 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
                240GB ADATA SU650NS38

Idk about mac's anymore, soldered everything doesn't sound that good especially after the issues with high swap in the already released M1 mac's. Yet apple claims they're trying to be more environmentally friendly, when what's actually happening is they're making their devices less repairable and as a result these devices will end up sooner in a land fill as soon as something as simple as the ssd fails.

So, Apple released the trash can Pro and people get pissed off at how uselessly limited it's expansion is

They they do a complete 180 and build the ULTIMATE swappable upgradeable Pro

And now we're getting the trashcan mark 2?

7 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

“Well” is a pretty variable word. It’s awesome for an integrated gpu.  Far better than expected.  It’s still an integrated gpu though.  It’s good enough for 1080p graphics which is a wild accomplishment.  The problem is I seriously doubt those iMacs will have 1080p screens. If they can double the oomph from what they got out of their m1 iGPU they could do it I suppose.  If they can Nvidia is dead as a door nail.  They make gigantic Uber electrically hungry heat producing graphics cards.  If their higher end stuff can be matched in power by integrated GPUs they’d be as dead as cars if suddenly the average cruiser bicycle could do freeway speeds.  There was an implication by another poster that macs dont even use GPUs in anything like the same way as PCs though and they may not need it.  We shall see.

7 hours ago, DriftMan said:

I only like this because it reminds me of those flat laptops and TFT displays from 20 years ago. It makes me feel nostalgic, and now I want one...

Somewhere there is a graphic designer pointing at the screen yelling “see? See?  It’s working!”

5 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

They don't have to. Considering that the M1's iGPU is already very powerful considering its power envelope, a scaled up version would be much beefier to the point where a discrete GPU around the class of the GTX 1650 would not be necessary, all while consuming less power.

Plus, if the iMac were to actually come in these colors, it sounds like they are targeted towards consumer use.

Sure. Considering it’s power envelope. You’ve got to do that though.  It’s literally sometimes a more than ten to one difference though.

5 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

You really don’t get it. 

Someone doesn’t anyway.  It might be me.  We shall see when they come out.  If an integrated gpu can beat a high end desk top pcie card the computer world will change completely.

3 hours ago, whispous said:

So, Apple released the trash can Pro and people get pissed off at how uselessly limited it's expansion is

They they do a complete 180 and build the ULTIMATE swappable upgradeable Pro

And now we're getting the trashcan mark 2?

The key is that Apple would still make a modular Mac Pro; this would be an in-between computer. It could end up being a reincarnation of the Power Mac G4 Cube and struggle to sell... or it could be the fast headless Mac that people have wanted for years.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is I seriously doubt those iMacs will have 1080p screens. If they can double the oomph from what they got out of their m1 iGPU they could do it I suppose.

Why would resolution be a problem for Apple Silicon Macs especially the upcoming iMac? The M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro both have a 2560 x 1600 display resolution. 

Also, as weak as the current base Intel iMac with dual core 7th gen i5 without dGPU, that already has a 1080p display.

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

34 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Why would resolution be a problem for Apple Silicon Macs especially the upcoming Mac mini? The M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro both have a 2560 x 1600 display resolution. 

Also, as weak as the current base Intel iMac with dual core 7th gen i5 without dGPU, that already has a 1080p display.

Sure.  They’ll almost certainly even play video at that resolution. That’s not a hard trick.  10 year old iGPUs can do that.  I’m talking about the heavy stuff though.  The things people run for work.  Frequently harder core than any game. 

As a measure of power playable frame rates for games on a Xe (acomparable integrated gpu) are around 1080p low. I’m not sure if the apples silicon integrated gpu is faster or slower.  The answer is probably “yes”.  The Xe is pretty impressive.   if one thinks of Xe as roughly  comparable, which is a heckuva first outing for a company, let’s pretend apple silicon GPUs are competitive not with the standard integrated Xe but the experimental pcie card version that sort of crossfires two Xes (the Xe works in a totally different way and it doesn’t work like that but it’s close enough for these purposes) Pretty sure they’re not but let’s go for it.  This puts an Apple integrated gpu somewhere near a desktop 1030.   This is not enough.  Not even close.  Really truely doubling the speed of a 1030 (which would not be SLI 1030s) would put it near where things get competitive for pcie GPUs.  Amphere/navi22 territory.  If they can do that though they can crush the PCIE GPU market entirely.  There are massive massive conveniences that come with integrated graphics  So Nvidia goes away and AMD is hurt so bad they may not recover.    I’m not hearing running in fear and leaping from high windows noises coming from those sectors so I don’t think it’s happening. 

21 hours ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Prosser might well have revealed the upcoming redesign of the iMac, based on leaks from various sources.

You know, one of the reasons why the iMac always bugged me is that the built-in screen was never ergonomically good. Like proper monitors have rotation, tilt and height adjustments. This... has none of that. The last iMac that did was probably the "iLamp"

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MR3C2ZM/A/vesa-mount-adapter-kit-for-imac-pro-space-grey

Though I'm pretty sure even these mounts are insufficient for a heavier iMac. 

Just now, Kisai said:

The last iMac that did was probably the "iLamp"

Yep, every single one since the G4 iMac/iLamp has been tilt only. You want to move it side to side? Move it physically. Want to move it up? Put some bricks under it.

The iLamp was so funny looking.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MR3C2ZM/A/vesa-mount-adapter-kit-for-imac-pro-space-grey

Though I'm pretty sure even these mounts are insufficient for a heavier iMac. 

Based on their looks, and having felt heavy iMacs, yeah, unless those screws are made out of unbreakableium, they'll eventually break under the weight of one of the big boy ones.

elephants