[Rumor] Prossor: Small Mac Pro and redesigned iMac

Zmimgo
14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I don't see your previous post just to jump on the Apple hate bandwagon, Having it too thin does have its flaws like barely any room for cooling.
I've only used Mac during elementary as that's what my school has, after that it's only PC. The only Apple product I have is an iPhone and nothing else.

I actually sysopped a Mac computer lab for a few years.  I bought nothing but macs until my last 3 desktops.  I probably owned like 6 macs though.  My laptop is still a Mac though it’s ridiculously old at this point. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

For the last ten years or so apple products have had one repetitive problem:  not enough space for cooling.  It’s crippling.  With the m1 macs they actually had enough cooling for a change because the designs were made for a hotter chip.  Apple RISC chips can run cooler while delivering equivelant performance. Boo yah! They hopefully wouldn’t be crying for enough cooling anymore. The thing is the M1 gpu, while far and away the most powerful GPU in a risc chip isnt near strong enough to fight with AMD and NVIDIA’s desktop stuff. So it’s not going to be all Apple stuff in there. What has happened for a long long time is the machines were crippled by inadequate cooling, and that applies to cpu and gpu.  What it looks like to me is Apple used up all of the gain they made making the machine thinner.  To no useful purpose that I can see.  It doesn’t use one iota less desk space

You do realize that the M1 MBA has fuckall cooling and gets DAMN close to the MBP, right? Apple silicon is proving that it takes fuckall to keep cool, and if the production AS iMac is the same thickness as the ones in this leak, I REALLY doubt cooling will be a problem even if they do roid it up good 'n hard. Ultimately it doesn't even look like it'll have much less capability for cooling as the current iMac, which would be overkill for what's likely going to end up in the next iteration.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

2L1A1418-Edit.thumb.jpg.0e5ee76fe457286c00a5efcf9217acfb.jpg

I mean.... this M1 Macbook is ALLLLLLLLLLLLL battery. A 20+ in  aluminum body that doesn't need any batteries is going to have all the room in the world  regardless of how thin it is.

I really hope you’re right.  Maybe they had so much space they could burn some on thinner and still come out ahead.  The thing is while the m1 didn’t have a discrete gpu, the iMacs are going to need one.  And those things need radiators.  iMacs get sold to smaller end graphics pros.  They will hit a gpu literally as hard as they can and ask for more because the actually really for true NEED it.  Time is money and a big gpu makes time. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I really hope you’re right.  Maybe they had so much space they could burn some on thinner and still come out ahead.  The thing is while the m1 didn’t have a discrete gpu, the iMacs are going to need one.  And those things need radiators.  iMacs get sold to smaller end graphics pros.  They will hit a gpu literally as hard as they can and ask for more because the actually really for true NEED it.  Time is money and a big gpu makes time. 

I mean, it's not speculation at this point. That's my actual Macbook in the photo.

As for GPU, the GPU in M1 as it stands in no slouch. It seems like you haven't done much reading on the M1.

4 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

You do realize that the M1 MBA has fuckall cooling and gets DAMN close to the MBP, right? Apple silicon is proving that it takes fuckall to keep cool, and if the production AS iMac is the same thickness as the ones in this leak, I REALLY doubt cooling will be a problem even if they do roid it up good 'n hard. Ultimately it doesn't even look like it'll have much less capability for cooling as the current iMac, which would be overkill for what's likely going to end up in the next iteration.

Yup.  There’s gonna have to be more gpu than the m1 had though and that means AMD.  AMD GPUs can push over 200 watts easy. 

6 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I mean, it's not speculation at this point. That's my actual Macbook in the photo.

As for GPU, the GPU in M1 as it stands in no slouch. It seems like you haven't done much reading on the M1.

I’m not talking about the photo of the laptop. I’m talking about the new iMacs.  If they didn’t put a discrete GPU in them they’re going to fail in the market they have.  Even Designers need more than an iGPU, completely ignoring the photoshop jockeys and whatnot that are their main market for iMacs.  I suppose it they could near double the performance of the m1 gpu they could get away with an integrated unit and keep it apple silicon.  I don’t think that’s possible though. 

ive done a good deal of such reading.  The m1 gpu came real real close to the Xe That’s impressive as hell, but the Xe still has barely half the power of even a lower end desktop pcie card.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yup.  There’s gonna have to be more gpu than the m1 had though and that means AMD.  AMD GPUs can push over 200 watts easy. 

Why the hell would you just immediately jump to the conclusion that Apple needs AMD to make a high performance GPU for them? Look at the performance they squeeze out of something like an A13 or A14 in an iPhone, and then scale that up to something for use in a desktop. I won't doubt if it'll take a generation or two, but Apple is clearly capable of completely taking over their own chip production.

Hell, the M1 doesn't exactly sit with a thumb up its ass, either. 

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I’m not talking about the photo of the laptop. I’m talking about the new iMacs.  If they didn’t put a discrete GPU in them they’re going to fail in the market they have.  Even Designers need more than an iGPU, completely ignoring the photoshop jockeys and whatnot that are their main market for iMacs.  I suppose it they could near double the performance of the m1 gpu they could get away with an integrated unit and keep it apple silicon.  I don’t think that’s possible though. 

You'll find your understanding of Apple's hardware needs is a little out of date, but we shall see soon I suppose.

8 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Why the hell would you just immediately jump to the conclusion that Apple needs AMD to make a high performance GPU for them? Look at the performance they squeeze out of something like an A13 or A14 in an iPhone, and then scale that up to something for use in a desktop. I won't doubt if it'll take a generation or two, but Apple is clearly capable of completely taking over their own chip production.

Hell, the M1 doesn't exactly sit with a thumb up its ass, either. 

Because that’s who they use when they need one.  There’s only two players and Apple won’t talk to one of them.  That leaves AMD.  “High performance” gpu is a vague term. Let’s go with “competitive performance”. The M1 gpu IS competitive, with the Xe.  It is NOT  competitive with even a  desktop1650.  And an iMac is a desktop, at least in theory.

Edited by Bombastinator

You'll find your understanding of Apple's hardware needs is a little out of date, but we shall see soon I suppose.

Indeed we will.  I’d love to be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Because that’s who they use when they need one.  There’s only two players and Apple won’t talk to one of them.  That leaves AMD.  “High performance” gpu is a vague term. Let’s go with “competitive performance”. The M1 gpu IS competitive, with the Xe.  It is NOT  competitive with even a 1650. 

You do realize that the M1is a first generation SOC which was likely designed for the MBA, and as such is meant to be a power sipper to the most brutal extent possible (you know, with everything drawing UNDER 20 WATTS), yet it's able to hold its own reasonably well against something like a 1650? Like yes, in something like Rise of the Tomb Raider, it is about half the performance of a 1650.

With the GPU drawing under 10 watts.

I'll say it again in a vain hope it'll penetrate your thinker: Scaled up, Apple silicon has the ability to compete. With ease.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Just now, Arika S said:

i want to see the people's houses that buy the blue or green ones, i cannot think of any decor that would make those colours fit in

This would match @Spotty's nanoleaf LED streaming setup.

He could use it to read chat or something while he games.

This would match @Spotty's nanoleaf LED streaming setup.

He could use it to read chat or something while he games.

Living vicariously through other people’s imaginary lives? A bold move. 

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Just now, FakeNSA said:

Living vicariously through other people’s imaginary lives? A bold move. 

I know what all these words mean, but this sentence isn't coming together for me.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

I know what all these words mean, but this sentence isn't coming together for me.

Welcome to my world....

Nothing of consequence,  move along 😛

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That black one also looks bad, but maybe it's just the render, or because it's a black metallic monitor. The old black MacBooks and the "space gray" iMac Pro were beautiful.

I bet it's just the render. Knowing Apple, if we get a black iMac it'll just be "Space Gray but slightly darker lol"

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

You do realize that the M1is a first generation SOC which was likely designed for the MBA, and as such is meant to be a power sipper to the most brutal extent possible (you know, with everything drawing UNDER 20 WATTS), yet it's able to hold its own reasonably well against something like a 1650? Like yes, in something like Rise of the Tomb Raider, it is about half the performance of a 1650.

With the GPU drawing under 10 watts.

I'll say it again in a vain hope it'll penetrate your thinker: Scaled up, Apple silicon has the ability to compete. With ease.

It doesn’t hold its own against a desktop 1650 and the iMacs are desktops. Even ignoring that the 1650 is a years old design.  It will be fighting with desktop  3080s and 6800xts. How do you think that bout will go?

The integrated gpu is great for an integrated gpu. If they can beat a desktop discrete gpu with an integrated gpu they’ve crushed it so hard there is no reason to have discrete GPUs any more.  I don’t think they will.   A big discrete gpu can easily pull over 200 watts. Frequently multiple times more wattage than a cpu to match it.  It’s possible I suppose that both Nvidia and AMD have been utterly leapfrogged and find themselves irrelevant because their tech is Stone Age by comparison.  I kind of doubt it though. 

2 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

I would love to push one of these off of my desk.

You and my cat would get along. 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

i want to see the people's houses that buy the blue or green ones, i cannot think of any decor that would make those colours fit in

The blue and green were popular decorating colors in the 60’s.  That particular puce is a natural copper oxide color.  Used to see a lot of it back when colors were limited due to available tech.  Was a often called “seafoam”  My suspicion is that whoever did the styling for them had a really good look at what interior designers are going to be pushing for colors next year.  Might have been some current runways in that research too.  It’s the kind of thing designers do.   Will it fit with something done a few years ago?  Heck no. They’re not aiming for a few years ago though.  They’re aiming at what will come out in 6 months.  It’s a hittable target.  Pretty much everything that isn’t clothing design is already in the pipeline.  The colors that will be “hot” have already been picked and are learnable by anyone who cares to.  Color story is fashion, and fashion is marketing.  

The blue and green were popular decorating colors in the 60’s.  That particular puce is a natural copper oxide color.  Used to see a lot of it back when colors were limited due to available tech.  Was a often called “seafoam”  My suspicion is that whoever did the styling for them had a really good look at what interior designers are going to be pushing for colors next year.  Might have been some current runways in that research too.  It’s the kind of thing designers do.   Will it fit with something done a few years ago?  Heck no. They’re not aiming for a few years ago though.  They’re aiming at what will come out in 6 months.  It’s a hot table target.  Color story is fashion, and fashion is marketing.  

I dont think something as expensive as a computer should really be something that you use for an accent colour. You're locking yourself into a pallet unless you're willing to dump it and get a new computer when you want to change your colours.

Pillows, throws, trinkets, a feature wall can be the accent colours, but big and more expensive items it's better for them to be neutral so they can be used even if you decide to change your mind your update your decor.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

11 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I dont think something as expensive as a computer should really be something that you use for an accent colour. You're locking yourself into a pallet unless you're willing to dump it and get a new computer when you want to change your colours.

Pillows, throws, trinkets, a feature wall can be the accent colours, but big and more expensive items it's better for them to be neutral so they can be used even if you decide to change your mind your update your decor.

Re: accent colors

I agree but people will still do it.  Apple proved that with their see-thru jelly macs way back when. 

Even the business types. Got to have the office looking just so to give the right impression.  Plus a lot of them won’t be paying.  They’ll just be marking a form on a company purchase order. 

Needs more Indigo.

In all seriousness, having the different chassis colors is a nice throwback to the older ones.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Those macs don't look good. I don't think the picture is real. 

Just gimme the black one.

Yes, I'm boring.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1