Mega order SK Hynix for ASML

Dutch_Master

Summary

Korean chip manufacturer SK Hynix has ordered new chip making machines worth 3.6 bn euro from ASML.

Quotes

No use quoting in Dutch as this is an English language forum, use google translate or similar for the linked article instead.

Quick English summary then: in the next 5 years, Dutch manufacturer of chip making machines ASML delivers an undisclosed amount of EUV chip making machines to SK Hynix of S. Korea. Individually, an EUV machine has a price tag of 120m euro. EUV machines use extreme ultraviolet light to make very small traces on chips. ASML was expecting the order and plans to deliver the first machines later this year. SK Hynix announced the order today to comply with Korean Laws, apparently.

My thoughts

Given the prices for these machines, as well as their lead times from ASML (it's all build to order) it's no wonder chip fabs are scarce and setting one up id bl00dy expensive. I suspect these EUV machines will be used for <5nm processes.

Sources

In Dutch:

https://nos.nl/artikel/2370072-asml-sleept-zuid-koreaanse-miljardenorder-binnen.html

ASML website, also in English, no press release yet

https://www.asml.com

SK Hynix, also no press release:

https://www.skhynix.com

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

5 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

I suspect these EUV machines will be used for <5nm processes.

EUV is used on 7nm currently as well, Samsung and TSMC. If this is for Sk Hynix M16 planned fab for 2021 then it's 10nm EUV and will be used for DRAM products. DRAM is pretty much stuck at 10nm at this point, so now new processes are using 1a nm naming (it's still 10nm).

https://news.skhynix.com/sk-hynix-announces-the-completion-of-m16-plant-construction/

https://www.micron.com/about/blog/2021/january/inside-1a-the-worlds-most-advanced-dram-process-technology

It’s just incredible how complicated and expensive these machines are

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 hour ago, Drama Lama said:

It’s just incredible how complicated and expensive these machines are

You hear about something like the Bujh Khalifa and think "oh wow that's an engineering marvel must have been expensive".  Nah...that's poor people shit compared to the cost of a fab.  You're spending 4x as much just to build the structure and then even more multiples to put tooling in it.  There will be "billion dollar rows" of tools where it's like 10 machines.

Heard a guy who was negotiating the purchase of one of them.  Hilarious to think that it's one guy spending Bezos level of money.  "ya'll take amex?"

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

You hear about something like the Bujh Khalifa and think "oh wow that's an engineering marvel must have been expensive".  Nah...that's poor people shit compared to the cost of a fab.  You're spending 4x as much just to build the structure and then even more multiples to put tooling in it.  There will be "billion dollar rows" of tools where it's like 10 machines.

i know one of these machines costs like 300+ million €

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler