Can't increase powerlimit above 100% on MSI Afterburner?

PointFive
Go to solution Solved by bellabichon,

The power limit is locked in the GPU's vBIOS. You could flash it with a different vBIOS (like the Trio X's) if you wanted some more room for overclocking. Here's a good Reddit thread about it. 

So, I am trying to overclock my GPU but can't increase the power above 100%. Haven't really found any information online, or any updated ones. Is there any reason why or is there a way to change this?

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x

Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus B550m Pro

PSU: Corsair RM750

Additional Note: Both 8pins are connected to the PSU individually and not using any splitter. (idk if this matters).

The power limit is locked in the GPU's vBIOS. You could flash it with a different vBIOS (like the Trio X's) if you wanted some more room for overclocking. Here's a good Reddit thread about it. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

The power limit is locked in the GPU's vBIOS. You could flash it with a different vBIOS (like the Trio X's) if you wanted some more room for overclocking. 

But this will void the warranty tho, won't it?

4 minutes ago, PointFive said:

So, I am trying to overclock my GPU but can't increase the power above 100%. Haven't really found any information online, or any updated ones. Is there any reason why or is there a way to change this?

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x

Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus B550m Pro

PSU: Corsair RM750

Additional Note: Both 8pins are connected to the PSU individually and not using any splitter. (idk if this matters).

Yeah, the Power limit is locked on the 3070 ventus. If you want to increase the power limit, like said, you could flash the bios to something like the gaming trio. Is a little risky though, and there's a decent reason why you can't increase the power limit on the ventus. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Just now, PointFive said:

Well, yes, but who needs to know? 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

4 hours ago, PointFive said:

Yes, that would void the warranty, because it constitutes modification of the card. If something else went wrong with the card, you might be able to flash it back to the stock vBIOS before sending it in (and theoretically MSI would be none the wiser), but if warranty is important to you then I wouldn't risk it. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

haha okay than, ill take it into consideration. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Well, yes, but who needs to know? 

The 3070 ventus’s power limit is locked and therefore cannot increase the power limit. If you really want to make your pc preform better, you can try to flash Bios but it will void warranty and may damage your GPU. I recommend you to leave that alone.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

PC Build:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LED (4x8GB)
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3090 OC
  • Case
    Corsair icue 4000x