Everyone gets Nintendo's drifting controller's issue! PS5, PS4, XBox One (incl. Series S/X)! Class action lawsuits to all! End of the world! Panic!

GoodBytes

Looks like Nintendo is not the only one with drifting analogue stick issue for its controller.

Reports are surfing that the issue is also occurring to PS5 owner (yes, already), XBox One Series X and PS4 owners

Forbes reports:

While it’s still extremely difficult to even buy a PS5 without battling hundreds of thousands of other potential consumers (and scalper bots) online, those that have gotten them and played avidly with the new DualSense controller may have already noticed after just a few months that an old, common issue is back. In some instances, the joysticks on the DualSense controller are starting to drift. As in, when you’re not moving them in any direction, they may slowly pull your character or cursor in one direction or another.

This was a problem on the PS4 as well, and the two PS4 controllers I still own both have directional drift issues, and I swapped between them based on the game I was playing when whether a slight drift left or a slight drift up would be worse. But that was after years of use, and some are experiencing this on PS5 already. Past investigations have turned up a potential “stick lifespan” of just over 400 hours of use before the issues start to appear.

[...]

Microsoft has escaped scrutiny for the problem at the level of its rivals, and yet looking up Xbox One controller drift, you can see there are still issues there, and yes, even a class action lawsuit against them too. But there do not appear to be as many reports of Series X/S controller drift issues than PS5, though that may change in time.

iFix It made a video talking about the issue in a tear down:

Basically, they are all (not sure on the Nintendo joycon's, I can't find a clear answer at the moment) using the very same part from Alps.

Sources
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/02/21/experts-say-ps5-joystick-drift-is-getting-bad-and-itll-get-much-worse-from-here/?sh=2375ba0d3f96

While iFixIt nor Forbed target Alps quality control, I think, if I may insert my opinion, the problem is Alps quality that is sub-par. If you don't know Alps, well, you may have experienced their wonderful computer trackpads. They are the ones that which have a reputation of making people want to toss the laptop out of the window. HP loved using them (probably, because they are dirt cheap).

While the analogue sticks selected by the Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are indeed highly rated in their specs sheet, in my opinion, they aren't well built to properly deliver that rated experience for nearly all its users. In other words, poor quality control product. I am sure Alps isn't the only manufacture out there for analogue sticks, and I think they are selected due to their low-cost offering.

Now the question is, does Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony perfectly knew the analogue stick that they got for their controller have quality control issues (or just plain doesn't meet, ever, the rated specs), and just went with it, to maximize profits on controllers, and push consumers to buy new ones after the warranty of only 1 year on the controllers ends? That is obviously something that the class action lawsuits being sent could expose. What do you think? Am I wrong?

Well one lawsuit for one company probably had a good chance of going through. This actually presents a weaker argument. Now the companies can simply turn it on the manufacturer of the analog sticks and say since it's a widespread problem it's just how it works essentially. They will then claim their are now in place some made up accuracy percentage targets. 

I got serious drifting issues with my Nintendo switch joy cons. Couldn’t play fortnite normally at all. Help.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

PC Build:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LED (4x8GB)
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3090 OC
  • Case
    Corsair icue 4000x
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB x2
  • PSU
    Corsair RM1000X 80+ Gold certified
  • Display(s)
    ROG Swift PG278QR 27” x2
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73

6 minutes ago, KiddoTech said:

I got serious drifting issues with my Nintendo switch joy cons. Couldn’t play fortnite normally at all. Help.

Nintendo will fix your Joy-Cons for free if you send them to Nintendo.

Just Google "joy-con drift free repair" and there will be a link to a Nintendo website where you can submit a help ticket.

EDIT:
Sent in my blue minus Joy-Con (was bought on launch day) that was so bad it wasn't usable.
Works fine.

elephants

1 minute ago, KiddoTech said:

Unlike Sony and Microsoft, for the joycon's, Nintendo is offering free repair service. Just call them up. You do have to send them in a box (any), so if you don't have another controller, might suck for a week or two. I tried this, as my left joycon had the issue, right a hint that felt was coming. Nintendo took both, fix both, and even replaced the plastic attachment clip that had some wear without asking. Calling support was near instant and was greeted with a super nice person from the US, who was actually listening to me and not following a script. Took a week to have them repaired, if I recall correctly.

Wait. Is this the problem is if you leave it for a while, it just suddenly goes in a certain direction?

✨FNIGE✨

The PS4 thing implies there may be some sort of BS flying around or possibly a subcontractor.  The PS4 has been out for several years.  If it’s happening only with very old controllers that says one thing which is not too abusive to Sony but says bad things about Nintendo, but if it’s happening to NEW ones I would become interested in what the differences are between the old and newer controllers, and that’s probably who is making the parts.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

When they all get their joystick from the same source...

I've had PC controllers suffer from drift before as well. It's not unique to console, that's for sure.

But at least you can safely put a bandaid on it by adjusting the "Dead zone"(joystick calibration).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, James Evens said:

As a side note why TrackPoints or some older controller don't suffer from this issues: they use strain gates instead of potentiometer.

Are there any controllers that use strain gauges? Maybe the PS2 uses them for the face buttons since they're pressure sensitive, regardless the Xbox 360 and PS2 controllers both look to use potentiometers and there haven't been any widespread issue with those to my knowledge.

21 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Wait. Is this the problem is if you leave it for a while, it just suddenly goes in a certain direction?

Yes

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

PC Build:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LED (4x8GB)
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3090 OC
  • Case
    Corsair icue 4000x
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB x2
  • PSU
    Corsair RM1000X 80+ Gold certified
  • Display(s)
    ROG Swift PG278QR 27” x2
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73

Interesting that Microsoft is being included in this. I've never heard of or experienced any analog stick drift with Xbox One controllers.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I call BS on the PS4 and Xbox One controller drifting issues, those consoles have been released over 7 years ago, if there were any drifting issues with the controllers they would have shown up a long time ago, and people would have been quick to report these kind of issues, especially enthusiasts who tend to be very 'loud' about this kind of stuff, it could be that newer PS4 and/or Xbox One controllers are made with Alps joy stick. Anyway, hopefully Sony and Microsoft change their suppliers and this issue will fade away.

Also did Nintendo do anything about it? (In the sense of changing the design of the joycon to use a different joystick that isn't as flawed) Or are they just doing a repair programme for a while?

Edited by AndreiArgeanu

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Also did Nintendo do anything about it? (In the sense of changing the design of the joycon to use a different joystick that isn't as flawed) Or are they just doing a repair programme for a while?

Last I heard, it was just the repair program. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

26 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Are there any controllers that use strain gauges? Maybe the PS2 uses them for the face buttons since they're pressure sensitive, regardless the Xbox 360 and PS2 controllers both look to use potentiometers and there haven't been any widespread issue with those to my knowledge.

“Strain gauge”. That’s cute.  I took an original Atari controller apart once.  It was 8 little foil dome membrane buttons, and a sort of claw shaped thing with nubs on it that would press the buttons when the stick was moved.  Not exactly analog.  I suppose if you did that with piezoelectric switches instead of just buttons you could get a bit more variation. Still not analog though.   Anyone who has used a “nub” mouse (the only term I know for them is NSFW) wouldn’t even compare them to a real mouse. They’re actually better for some things than mice or trackpads because they tend to move in straight lines which can be sometimes useful.   What’s weird though is there have been analog joysticks for a long long time.  This is aparently new problem not an old one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

“Wait up Nintendo, you can’t leave us behind!”

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I honestly have noticed it on and off with new controllers on  several ps4 originals, slims, pros, xbox one originals, xbox one s, and the x too.  I notice drifting in Destiny 2 on console a lot, and even the Doom games.

New controllers you say? But not in old controllers?  That’s data.  Kinda wanna make with a screwdriver and look for differences. 

@GoodBytes I don't know if alps would be wholly to blame though. I think ultimately I will put this up to poor engineering on any console manufacturer that uses these. They scrubbed the design and BOM to be as cheap as possible and now they're being called out on it. Alps doesn't exactly have a stellar record, but after I read through the datasheet and looking iFixits napkin math I would have to agree with them that the average lifetime rating is far too low to be used in a game controller application. Really they should be using optical or hall effect sensors for this very reason.

I get why they cheaped out since pennies add up, but at the same time I would have to question what their repair/replacement, shipping and diagnostic costs are as well as the damage to public image. Judging from the uproar, the failure rate must be pretty high so they're going to be paying a pretty penny just to ship something both ways, have someone verify the problem and replace it. They remind me of auto manufacturers that have notoriously high failure rates where it ends up costing them more to fix the damn things then it was just to stick with the original design that met spec.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

59 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I dunno how true this is, but Ive heard that the big problem with why Nintendo never properly fixed this is that there aren't any other analogue stick mechanisms on the market that could be a drop in replacement.A proper fix would require a redesign of the Joycons, and of course sourcing a part that is not only functional, but meets the smaller and portable needs the Switch has.
- And I'm sure the pandemic isn't helping find a better source that can meet the demand that the switch has.

This screams supplier issue. While the console makers have to deal with it, it's clearly a longevity issue with the part that's outside of what they paid for.

Electromechanical devices will never be 100% perfect. Some small degree of undesired behaviour should be expected and dealt with as needed in warranty. Warranty rules differ worldwide, but unless they make a different physical product for different regions, they should all last about the same on average. Product will be designed and tested with a certain life in mind, but it can't cover all real world abuse situations.

With above in mind, if the failure rate is higher than expected, especially early on in a product cycle, that's a problem that needs to be investigated and resolved. People claiming warranty replacement will be factored into the costs, but high return rates will be a problem.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I don't think I've ever experienced this issue, and I own a lot of different controllers. I even have a Nintendo switch.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Seems like everyone read the same "how to save cents per controller" guide and went for shitty joysticks. You can add the 300€ costing Valve Index controllers to the list, things are riddled with joystick problems from drifting just after couple months of use to basicly DOA units with joysticks that don't "click" in every position. Main problems seems to be, at least with Index, that Valve opted to use few cents cheaper joystick modules (FJR06K) with plastic "gimbals" instead of getting more "expensive" ones (FJ06K) with metal parts. At least older PS4 controllers seem to use same kind of modules (or even cheaper models) so for DIY people out there, there you go, just slap some more expensive stuff in it and hope for the best, at least if you have drift already things can't get much worse.

And yeah, we are talking about saving cents. FJ06Ks you can get from AliExpress 5 pcs for ~7€+shipping, for volume buyers we probably talk tenth of that and still they choose to use something a bit cheaper just because they want to produce crap.At this point I can expect everyone come with "Pr0 3L1t3 g4M3r" controllers that cost thrice as much and have just marginally better HW (molds and the boards are the most expensive parts and those are most likely same in any edition except color of the plastic) that you could just buy and slap into the normal controller (if you have the needed skill and soldering tools), hell, buy some shitted controllers somewhere and turn them into the more "expensive" ones while fixing them for less than what they cost as new.

20 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I call BS on the PS4 and Xbox One controller drifting issues

20 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Interesting that Microsoft is being included in this. I've never heard of or experienced any analog stick drift with Xbox One controllers.

One of my controllers have drifiting issues. It does exist on the Xbox one controllers. Maybe uncommon though

✨FNIGE✨

Surely they have heard the news, couldn't they just change the manufacturing and get joysticks from a different source? Then the consoles that are being manufactured from the change on would have no problem. Also I thought it was only PS5 with the problem didn't hear about Xbox and the Switch. Also I agree it is unreasonable to complain about the issue on the PS4 since it's so old. Unless it's on new PS4s but, won't Sony discontinue PS4s soon? Would make sense for them to do this from a company standpoint which would force people to purchase the PS5. I don't see any point in people buying the PS4 when the PS5 is here. All people have to do is wait for a chance to buy one.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

8 minutes ago, Thomas001 said:

Surely they have heard the news, couldn't they just change the manufacturing and get joysticks from a different source? Then the consoles that are being manufactured from the change on would have no problem. Also I thought it was only PS5 with the problem didn't hear about Xbox and the Switch. Also I agree it is unreasonable to complain about the issue on the PS4 since it's so old. Unless it's on new PS4s but, won't Sony discontinue PS4s soon? Would make sense for them to do this from a company standpoint which would force people to purchase the PS5. I don't see any point in people buying the PS4 when the PS5 is here. All people have to do is wait for a chance to buy one.

I’d only heard about the switch one myself.