Welcome Back to 2007? Lenovo to Introduce Updated ThinkPad Models with 16:10 Displays, AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs and More

PlayStation 2

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/lenovo-updates-thinkpad-lineup-with-1610-screens-and-more/

--------

06_Thinkpad_X13_Yoga_G2_Hero_Front_Facin

Lenovo announced that they're updating some of their ThinkPad lineup (namely the X13 and X13 Yoga models) with a notable addition: available 16:10 displays with resolutions of 1920x1200 or 2560x1600.

Lenovo has added many features previously seen in its X1 Nano model to various other laptops across the ThinkPad line. Among those is a continuing shift to 16:10 displays, which most productivity users will greatly appreciate compared to the more media-focused 16:9 aspect ratio found in recent prior models.

Lenovo is also adding 11th gen Intel Core and AMD Ryzen 5000-series products to the mix of these new ThinkPads, notable in the sense that AMD offerings are starting to appear more and more in higher end professional machines.

They also are adding WiFi 6 and 5G internet support to both the X13/Yoga laptops, which certainly won't come cheap.

Alongside that, Lenovo is also refreshing their T-series of ThinkPads with most of these new features, minus the 16:10 displays - which, on a series of laptops that offers HDR displays, can make sense.

The T14 and T14s have 14-inch displays, and the 15 has a 15.6-inch display. CPU options offer 11th-Gen Core i7 CPUs (also with vPro options) or, alternatively, AMD Ryzen 5000 Pro. Intel versions of various new Thinkpad laptops have an "i" after the name—as in, Lenovo ThinkPad T14 i. The AMD versions don't.

Across the T series lineup, you'll find Wi-Fi 6 or 6E, 4G and 5G configurations, and FullHD webcams—though many features are optional or not default when you configure the devices.

What do I think of this? I'm... uh... genuinely surprised that 16:10 is appearing more and more again. I've always maintained that it was an excellent compromise of the entertainment consumption usability of 16:9 and the excellent screen real estate-enabling usefulness of 3:2 and, as it turns out, more and more manufacturers are agreeing there. 

I beat all of you to the 2560x1600 punch sorry not sorry

What's your thoughts on all of this? I'm kinda digging it myself.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Screw 16:10, I want my 4:3 A31 back.

I want fucking 3:2 to come into existence outside of Microsoft Surface products! It'd literally be efficient as hell for my workflow of 720x480 content and, uh, cover art scanning.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Go to homeland, Norway.  We got 240p, wizards in Kiss cosplay, and more!

There's also 240p in the US, except I don't have to buy a plane ticket to get 720x240 content here.

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ya, but we do it better.  We have wizards in Kiss cosplay lost in a forest involved.  

But that doesn't look like City Crisis Nicktoons Racing to me...

Maybe this means they can get some panels that don't take an entire Lunar Cycle to change pixels

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I can smell the soldered RAM from here.

Oh good, because I hate the 16:9 display on my T480.

Hopefully this trend of 16:10 or 3:2 displays on laptops leads to the death of the 16:9 aspect ratio on computers.

I used to love my 1200p Monitor . the extra height helps a lot 🙂

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

When you'd love to buy a thinkpad but realize that the keyboard no longer is what it used to be, that the ram is soldered, that the dock has been replaced by a usb dongle and what ever the f is that miniethernet port.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

When you'd love to buy a thinkpad but realize that the keyboard no longer is what it used to be, that the ram is soldered, that the dock has been replaced by a usb dongle and what ever the f is that miniethernet port.

Yep, everything the Thinkpad was and the reason to buy one all removed. Now it's just "another one".

I love my T495.
But I would kill for it to have a 16:10 screen, and the older keyboard.

I want to see what they're going to do with the P-Series.

I just bought a P50 last May, and my future computer will be another refurbished P-Series Thinkpad.

Great, now can we have the good keyboard, removable battery, toolless storage expandability and non-soldered ram back too?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

I used to love my 1200p Monitor . the extra height helps a lot 🙂

It's silly to think that 120 (or, in my case, 160) extra vertical pixels mean anything.

Until you actually have those extra vertical pixels. Holy shit man, I regret ever being into 16:9.

Also how much more do we have to wait for ryzen laptops to ship with thunderbolt.

Literally the only thing I'm waiting out of the ryzen side.

Though, sound like im repeating myself, wouldn't touch any of these two because of the expectation associated with the thinkpad brand, which hasn't been delivered for more than a couple of years now.

But would love to see something from the TongFeng club to deliver a ryzen laptop with tb. They pretty much nailed it for me:

All ports on the back instead of the sides

Easy access to the interior, though not toolless

Keyboard, not on par with early thinkpads, but better than most

Sodimm ram sticks

More than 1 m.2 slot

Good display panel, but missing the taller aspect ratio

And depending from who you get it, clean, non gamery design

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Everyone's talking about the keyboard being shit now. Did they change it recently? I love the keyboard on my T450s, it kind'a ruined all other laptop keyboard for me.

I've played around with various older IBM ThinkPads, and those keyboard didn't do it for me.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

58 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Did they change it recently?

recentry, no.

Compared to what they used to have up till the t420, it's worst.

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

it kind'a ruined all other laptop keyboard for me.

what old thinkpad user feel when looking the new ones

I've played around with various older IBM ThinkPads, and those keyboard didn't do it for me.

tenor.gif

20 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

tenor.gif

I mean, I'd take an old ThinkPad keyboard over most of the shit on laptops these days, but not over a T450s keyboard.

What makes them better in your eyes?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Everyone's talking about the keyboard being shit now. Did they change it recently? I love the keyboard on my T450s, it kind'a ruined all other laptop keyboard for me.

I've never got the hype for IBM ThinkPad keyboards. They just felt like a good laptop keyboard and nothing more, really. 

Note that this comes from someone with a T23, so if I have to go older than the late 1990s to understand, I'm not going to understand because I'm not a Subaru Legacy-driving hipster.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

I mean, I'd take an old ThinkPad keyboard over most of the shit on laptops these days, but not over a T450s keyboard.

What makes them better in your eyes?

action of the key and it's travel distance, the tactical feel, the size and shape of the key.

What is with the trend of putting 16:9/16:10 screens on laptops? 4:3/3:2 is much better for word processing and reading. What a shame Lenovo is turning Thinkpads into glorified ideapads. 

I edit my posts quite often, please refresh your browser if you can.

Specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
RAM : 16GB 3200MHZ CL16 RAM

GPU : ASRock Challenger RX 6600
Display : Acer KA242Y
Mainboard : GIGABYTE B450M DS3H WIFI
Storage : 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
                240GB ADATA SU650NS38

On 2/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, PlayerLorenzo said:

What is with the trend of putting 16:9/16:10 screens on laptops? 4:3/3:2 is much better for word processing and reading. What a shame Lenovo is turning Thinkpads into glorified ideapads. 

The ThinkPad has been that way for about a decade. This is actually a step in the right direction as the last non-16:9 ThinkPad was the T410.

I'd personally go for 16:10 for the best balance (I have to run things side by side a lot), but it'd be cool to see 4:3 options.

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).