Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Low Resolution On VD With Oculus Quest

I have this issue while using virtual desktop with my Oculus Quest where the resolution is very low. FPS is fine just the resolution makes games unplayable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

you didn't give us like, any details, but no matter, I'll try my best to help:

  1. Wi-Fi speed - VD will only put out a resolution to match the maximum bandwidth it's capable of over its Wi-Fi connection between your computer, router, and your Quest. Provided this isn't fast enough (like the Wi-Fi 6 it supports) it has to lower the resolution to make it playable at a given FPS/latency/comfort target
  2. Computer speed - this is self-explanatory. Your CPU has to deliver instructions to your GPU, then take the frames from your GPU, send them to your Quest at a high bandwidth, then take data from the Quest for positioning and angle and other details and feed it to SteamVR, which does its own handling. You still need a decent CPU and GPU. You didn't bother with including your hardware, would be nice if you would share.
  3. I did a Google search for you (I searched "change resolution virtual desktop quest") and found this on Redditimage.png.47f545749e17ada67387461ef1868ad5.png
    You should honestly check your settings in VD to make sure
  4. Finally, SteamVR has its own resolution targets in SteamVR  settings, you can change it from auto to your own resolution at will to fit your use case. If SteamVR is the bottleneck here, you can raise that resolution and see a difference in clarity. Try that.
  5. Next time, please give us more than 2 sentences providing little to no information on your system, network, and settings configuration, or what you even tried for yourself before coming here.

I got another computer

And now I list my specs

 

The Microwave
The Main PC
CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO

Ryzen 9 5900X

EVGA CLC 280

GIGABYTE Aorus Elite AX V2

Corsair Vengeance 16GB [2x8GB] DDR4 @3200MHz
MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060TI

EVGA GTX 1050TI SC

EVGA Supernova G3 1000

WD Black SN750 1TB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB

Windows 10

 

Precision T3600

The Server || Under Construction

Intel Xeon E5-1650

8GB [4x2GB] DDR3 @1600MHz

GT 710

 

Peripherals

Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO

Roccat Kone AIMO

LTTStore.com 1000x500mm deskpad

2009 27" iMac in TDM [1440p 60Hz]

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

you didn't give us like, any details, but no matter, I'll try my best to help:

  1. Wi-Fi speed - VD will only put out a resolution to match the maximum bandwidth it's capable of over its Wi-Fi connection between your computer, router, and your Quest. Provided this isn't fast enough (like the Wi-Fi 6 it supports) it has to lower the resolution to make it playable at a given FPS/latency/comfort target
  2. Computer speed - this is self-explanatory. Your CPU has to deliver instructions to your GPU, then take the frames from your GPU, send them to your Quest at a high bandwidth, then take data from the Quest for positioning and angle and other details and feed it to SteamVR, which does its own handling. You still need a decent CPU and GPU. You didn't bother with including your hardware, would be nice if you would share.
  3. I did a Google search for you (I searched "change resolution virtual desktop quest") and found this on Redditimage.png.47f545749e17ada67387461ef1868ad5.png
    You should honestly check your settings in VD to make sure
  4. Finally, SteamVR has its own resolution targets in SteamVR  settings, you can change it from auto to your own resolution at will to fit your use case. If SteamVR is the bottleneck here, you can raise that resolution and see a difference in clarity. Try that.
  5. Next time, please give us more than 2 sentences providing little to no information on your system, network, and settings configuration, or what you even tried for yourself before coming here.

I have a 2070 Super and Ryzen 7 2700x so I'm pretty sure I'm fine PC wise and I have 900 MB/s internet so I'm pretty sure that's more than enough to run most games on max in VR and I have watched multiple videos for the best settings and none have helped. I've tried the "switch to optimal resolution" and didn't seem to help. I've tried OVR Advanced Settings on steam and put the resolution scale to 340%. As expected it did help a bit but still pretty pixelated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swiizy said:

I have a 2070 Super and Ryzen 7 2700x so I'm pretty sure I'm fine PC wise and I have 900 MB/s internet so I'm pretty sure that's more than enough to run most games on max in VR and I have watched multiple videos for the best settings and none have helped. I've tried the "switch to optimal resolution" and didn't seem to help. I've tried OVR Advanced Settings on steam and put the resolution scale to 340%. As expected it did help a bit but still pretty pixelated. 

Hmm, with these details yeah that's weird... wwhat's the latency look like between devices?

I got another computer

And now I list my specs

 

The Microwave
The Main PC
CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO

Ryzen 9 5900X

EVGA CLC 280

GIGABYTE Aorus Elite AX V2

Corsair Vengeance 16GB [2x8GB] DDR4 @3200MHz
MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060TI

EVGA GTX 1050TI SC

EVGA Supernova G3 1000

WD Black SN750 1TB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB

Windows 10

 

Precision T3600

The Server || Under Construction

Intel Xeon E5-1650

8GB [4x2GB] DDR3 @1600MHz

GT 710

 

Peripherals

Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO

Roccat Kone AIMO

LTTStore.com 1000x500mm deskpad

2009 27" iMac in TDM [1440p 60Hz]

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

Hmm, with these details yeah that's weird... wwhat's the latency look like between devices?

Last time I checked it was around 30-40ms I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Swiizy said:

Last time I checked it was around 30-40ms I believe.

and what router do you have? idk this seems like such a strange issue, I've got a friend with a similar config who doesn't have this problem

I got another computer

And now I list my specs

 

The Microwave
The Main PC
CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO

Ryzen 9 5900X

EVGA CLC 280

GIGABYTE Aorus Elite AX V2

Corsair Vengeance 16GB [2x8GB] DDR4 @3200MHz
MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060TI

EVGA GTX 1050TI SC

EVGA Supernova G3 1000

WD Black SN750 1TB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB

Windows 10

 

Precision T3600

The Server || Under Construction

Intel Xeon E5-1650

8GB [4x2GB] DDR3 @1600MHz

GT 710

 

Peripherals

Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO

Roccat Kone AIMO

LTTStore.com 1000x500mm deskpad

2009 27" iMac in TDM [1440p 60Hz]

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

and what router do you have? idk this seems like such a strange issue, I've got a friend with a similar config who doesn't have this problem

I'm connected straight to the modem with ethernet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hmm... i didn't know OVR Advanced Settings let's you change your resolution, but the fact you were super-sampling at 350% with no noticable performance drop makes me thing something is wrong. What's the resolution SteamVR reports?

I got another computer

And now I list my specs

 

The Microwave
The Main PC
CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO

Ryzen 9 5900X

EVGA CLC 280

GIGABYTE Aorus Elite AX V2

Corsair Vengeance 16GB [2x8GB] DDR4 @3200MHz
MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060TI

EVGA GTX 1050TI SC

EVGA Supernova G3 1000

WD Black SN750 1TB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB

Windows 10

 

Precision T3600

The Server || Under Construction

Intel Xeon E5-1650

8GB [4x2GB] DDR3 @1600MHz

GT 710

 

Peripherals

Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO

Roccat Kone AIMO

LTTStore.com 1000x500mm deskpad

2009 27" iMac in TDM [1440p 60Hz]

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DaJakerBoss said:

hmm... i didn't know OVR Advanced Settings let's you change your resolution, but the fact you were super-sampling at 350% with no noticable performance drop makes me thing something is wrong. What's the resolution SteamVR reports?

It also said 350%. If I change anything in OVR it'll say the exact same in SteamVR.

Link to post
Share on other sites

But what's the pixel count

I got another computer

And now I list my specs

 

The Microwave
The Main PC
CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO

Ryzen 9 5900X

EVGA CLC 280

GIGABYTE Aorus Elite AX V2

Corsair Vengeance 16GB [2x8GB] DDR4 @3200MHz
MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060TI

EVGA GTX 1050TI SC

EVGA Supernova G3 1000

WD Black SN750 1TB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB

Windows 10

 

Precision T3600

The Server || Under Construction

Intel Xeon E5-1650

8GB [4x2GB] DDR3 @1600MHz

GT 710

 

Peripherals

Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO

Roccat Kone AIMO

LTTStore.com 1000x500mm deskpad

2009 27" iMac in TDM [1440p 60Hz]

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

But what's the pixel count

I tried a few things and the resolution is a little bit better but it's pretty blurry and if I move my head too fast I see black bars on the sides.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DaJakerBoss said:

But what's the pixel count

I've tried something and it looks a bit sharper but my FPS is terrible. After I disabled "Automatically adjust bitrate" in the Virtual Desktop Streamer the FPS went to like 15 but the games are a bit sharper but still a little bit blurry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Swiizy said:

I've tried something and it looks a bit sharper but my FPS is terrible. After I disabled "Automatically adjust bitrate" in the Virtual Desktop Streamer the FPS went to like 15 but the games are a bit sharper but still a little bit blurry.

You fixed something, but your GPU can't handle any resoltions above 2000x2000 (roughly) per eye, lowe that shit drastically until your FPS starts dipping below 90

I got another computer

And now I list my specs

 

The Microwave
The Main PC
CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO

Ryzen 9 5900X

EVGA CLC 280

GIGABYTE Aorus Elite AX V2

Corsair Vengeance 16GB [2x8GB] DDR4 @3200MHz
MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060TI

EVGA GTX 1050TI SC

EVGA Supernova G3 1000

WD Black SN750 1TB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB

Windows 10

 

Precision T3600

The Server || Under Construction

Intel Xeon E5-1650

8GB [4x2GB] DDR3 @1600MHz

GT 710

 

Peripherals

Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO

Roccat Kone AIMO

LTTStore.com 1000x500mm deskpad

2009 27" iMac in TDM [1440p 60Hz]

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DaJakerBoss said:

You fixed something, but your GPU can't handle any resoltions above 2000x2000 (roughly) per eye, lowe that shit drastically until your FPS starts dipping below 90

I got help from another person and he said I should get a new router. This is the image I sent him.

VirtualDesktop.Android-20210224-102241.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×