Low Resolution On VD With Oculus Quest

Swiizy

I have this issue while using virtual desktop with my Oculus Quest where the resolution is very low. FPS is fine just the resolution makes games unplayable.

you didn't give us like, any details, but no matter, I'll try my best to help:

1. Wi-Fi speed - VD will only put out a resolution to match the maximum bandwidth it's capable of over its Wi-Fi connection between your computer, router, and your Quest. Provided this isn't fast enough (like the Wi-Fi 6 it supports) it has to lower the resolution to make it playable at a given FPS/latency/comfort target
  2. Computer speed - this is self-explanatory. Your CPU has to deliver instructions to your GPU, then take the frames from your GPU, send them to your Quest at a high bandwidth, then take data from the Quest for positioning and angle and other details and feed it to SteamVR, which does its own handling. You still need a decent CPU and GPU. You didn't bother with including your hardware, would be nice if you would share.
  3. I did a Google search for you (I searched "change resolution virtual desktop quest") and found this on Redditimage.png.47f545749e17ada67387461ef1868ad5.png
    You should honestly check your settings in VD to make sure
  4. Finally, SteamVR has its own resolution targets in SteamVR  settings, you can change it from auto to your own resolution at will to fit your use case. If SteamVR is the bottleneck here, you can raise that resolution and see a difference in clarity. Try that.
  5. Next time, please give us more than 2 sentences providing little to no information on your system, network, and settings configuration, or what you even tried for yourself before coming here.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

20 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

you didn't give us like, any details, but no matter, I'll try my best to help:

1. Wi-Fi speed - VD will only put out a resolution to match the maximum bandwidth it's capable of over its Wi-Fi connection between your computer, router, and your Quest. Provided this isn't fast enough (like the Wi-Fi 6 it supports) it has to lower the resolution to make it playable at a given FPS/latency/comfort target
  2. Computer speed - this is self-explanatory. Your CPU has to deliver instructions to your GPU, then take the frames from your GPU, send them to your Quest at a high bandwidth, then take data from the Quest for positioning and angle and other details and feed it to SteamVR, which does its own handling. You still need a decent CPU and GPU. You didn't bother with including your hardware, would be nice if you would share.
  3. I did a Google search for you (I searched "change resolution virtual desktop quest") and found this on Redditimage.png.47f545749e17ada67387461ef1868ad5.png
    You should honestly check your settings in VD to make sure
  4. Finally, SteamVR has its own resolution targets in SteamVR  settings, you can change it from auto to your own resolution at will to fit your use case. If SteamVR is the bottleneck here, you can raise that resolution and see a difference in clarity. Try that.
  5. Next time, please give us more than 2 sentences providing little to no information on your system, network, and settings configuration, or what you even tried for yourself before coming here.

I have a 2070 Super and Ryzen 7 2700x so I'm pretty sure I'm fine PC wise and I have 900 MB/s internet so I'm pretty sure that's more than enough to run most games on max in VR and I have watched multiple videos for the best settings and none have helped. I've tried the "switch to optimal resolution" and didn't seem to help. I've tried OVR Advanced Settings on steam and put the resolution scale to 340%. As expected it did help a bit but still pretty pixelated. 

1 minute ago, Swiizy said:

I have a 2070 Super and Ryzen 7 2700x so I'm pretty sure I'm fine PC wise and I have 900 MB/s internet so I'm pretty sure that's more than enough to run most games on max in VR and I have watched multiple videos for the best settings and none have helped. I've tried the "switch to optimal resolution" and didn't seem to help. I've tried OVR Advanced Settings on steam and put the resolution scale to 340%. As expected it did help a bit but still pretty pixelated. 

Hmm, with these details yeah that's weird... wwhat's the latency look like between devices?

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

Hmm, with these details yeah that's weird... wwhat's the latency look like between devices?

Last time I checked it was around 30-40ms I believe.

Just now, Swiizy said:

Last time I checked it was around 30-40ms I believe.

and what router do you have? idk this seems like such a strange issue, I've got a friend with a similar config who doesn't have this problem

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

and what router do you have? idk this seems like such a strange issue, I've got a friend with a similar config who doesn't have this problem

I'm connected straight to the modem with ethernet.

hmm... i didn't know OVR Advanced Settings let's you change your resolution, but the fact you were super-sampling at 350% with no noticable performance drop makes me thing something is wrong. What's the resolution SteamVR reports?

1 minute ago, DaJakerBoss said:

hmm... i didn't know OVR Advanced Settings let's you change your resolution, but the fact you were super-sampling at 350% with no noticable performance drop makes me thing something is wrong. What's the resolution SteamVR reports?

It also said 350%. If I change anything in OVR it'll say the exact same in SteamVR.

But what's the pixel count

4 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

It's 3412x3772

27 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

I tried a few things and the resolution is a little bit better but it's pretty blurry and if I move my head too fast I see black bars on the sides.

13 hours ago, DaJakerBoss said:

I've tried something and it looks a bit sharper but my FPS is terrible. After I disabled "Automatically adjust bitrate" in the Virtual Desktop Streamer the FPS went to like 15 but the games are a bit sharper but still a little bit blurry.

19 hours ago, Swiizy said:

I've tried something and it looks a bit sharper but my FPS is terrible. After I disabled "Automatically adjust bitrate" in the Virtual Desktop Streamer the FPS went to like 15 but the games are a bit sharper but still a little bit blurry.

You fixed something, but your GPU can't handle any resoltions above 2000x2000 (roughly) per eye, lowe that shit drastically until your FPS starts dipping below 90

6 hours ago, DaJakerBoss said:

You fixed something, but your GPU can't handle any resoltions above 2000x2000 (roughly) per eye, lowe that shit drastically until your FPS starts dipping below 90

I got help from another person and he said I should get a new router. This is the image I sent him.

VirtualDesktop.Android-20210224-102241.jpg