Tempered glass sidepanel, are they OK? Ive heard some horror stories online of them sporadically shattering :(

jumbojosh

Hello,

I think, after many many hours of research, ive found which case im going to go with.  It has cool RGB lighting in front with the features i want, mainly at least 3 HDD slots in the case.

Along with decent dust filtration and decent cable management.

https://www.newegg.com/black-thermaltake-commander-c-33-argb-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811133400?&quicklink=true&fbclid=IwAR0b_BXJ31oGKmoBHLlUeR9C1HDTGG6wAtCa24m44VeJzR8vEZY7nJGysbI

Im gonna put in a Ryzen 5600 and a ASUS Republic of Gamers Strix X570-E Gaming AM4 ATX Motherboard (if i can get my hands on one).

However i have read several reports of people's glass randomly shattering just from handing it (not even dropping it).  Am i being paranoid to worry about this happening to me?  Im not so worried about the mess, or even having to get a replacement(sounds like it is covered under warranty), but im afraid of fragments making their way into my fans or components and jamming them up or something.  However, i love the look they provide inside the case and are in general more scratch resistant than acrylic.  Should i avoid tempered glass or am i over-worrying?

Thanks,
~JumboJosh

I have 3 machines with tempered side panels with zero issues. Never had one breaking on me. If it breaks, its usually from mishandling. Just treat them with care, and they will respond. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, jumbojosh said:

im afraid of fragments making their way into my fans or components and jamming them up

That's not really possible

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

That's not really possible

So its more of the mess and heartbreak than any danger to the rest of my PC?  I was thinking that too kinda, as the board would be mounted vertical.

Thanks,
~JumboJosh

1 minute ago, jumbojosh said:

So its more of the mess and heartbreak than any danger to the rest of my PC?  I was thinking that too kinda, as the board would be mounted vertical.

Yeah the glass shards are heavy and fall straight down, since it's not being shattered by an impact you won't see that glass "dust" you get from things like car windshield impacts

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Cases with tempered glass is so commonplace these days, your concerns are just not something people worry about. Yes, things can break.. anything can break. 

It's just not a huge widespread issue and its not affecting people's buying habits. 

I have had a thermaltake h200 tg snow since christmas, and it has done fine. The glass is quite thick, and doesn't seem to smash unless it was hit with considerabl force, such as dropping ti from waist height. Delivery might be an issue, but they are cool, and if you put RGB inside your computer, it is the only wat of it showing without taking the side panel off really. I think the biggest issue is where to put it, I had a small dialemma about where to put mine, so the glass faces towards me (i was due for a bedroom re-arrange so that solved it).

I think they are good, and allow you to show off the hardware, and iirc it was packaged good, so just be carefull and you'r good

Quote me for an answer, and to help track conversations

PC: tuf b450m plus gaming, ryzen 5 3600, 1650 OC (gigabyte windforce), corsair vengeance 16gb @ 3200mhz

Tempered glass is basically a hardened glass, much stronger and denser that normal glass that we see on windows. They can shatter, but either someone has to manhandle it or you would really have a fabric defect. Even if it breaks, your components are fine. Actually this can happen to every tempered glass product. A good example is Ikea's Detolf display case, they can shatter from the force that's on them after it has been assembled, but the chances are slim. If we are talking about tempered glass protectors for phones, chances are pretty much none.

Just now, rickeo said:

Cases with tempered glass is so commonplace these days, your concerns are just not something people worry about. Yes, things can break.. anything can break. 

It's just not a huge widespread issue and its not affecting people's buying habits. 

Yeah that's true, people wouldn't be buying it if it happened to too many buyers.  Must be a rare thing, or defective glass.

One thing about this case is it is a good quality brand, Thermaltake, who hopefully uses a good quality glass.

Thanks,
~JumboJosh

13 minutes ago, jumbojosh said:

However i have read several reports of people's glass randomly shattering just from handing it (not even dropping it).

having worked with glass machinery for a while, i can tell you that tempered glass do indeed shatter by itself without any provocation

as it's actually an unstable piece of glass. most of the tempered glass (that will shatter) will shatter not long after exiting the machine, but some of them will shatter few years later

is it common? not very. does it occur? yes it does.

13 minutes ago, jumbojosh said:

but im afraid of fragments making their way into my fans or components and jamming them up or something.

shards may find its way into your components, but they're non conductive so the most damage they'll do is probably jam up your fan bearings at worst, but i doubt they shatter into pieces small enough to enter that tight spacing (most of the glass shards of TG i've seen are pretty chunky)

i personally would prefer TG over acrylic, which can be scratched by breathing on it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, jumbojosh said:

Yeah that's true, people wouldn't be buying it if it happened to too many buyers.  Must be a rare thing, or defective glass.

One thing about this case is it is a good quality brand, Thermaltake, who hopefully uses a good quality glass.

Brand and quality don't really play much of a part in the likelihood of temperate glass breaking, as long as you handle it with care and don't over-tighten screws that keep the glass in it's place you're going to be fine, I have a 20$ PC case with temperate glass from a random chines brand that I've been using for a little over a year and the glass never broke.

This video gave me confidence too!  It can be pretty F***ing tough looks like lol

Thanks,
~JumboJosh

Tempered glass are strong, but it can break, a pointy stuff can break it like screw driver head or the edge of your table.

To clean it just use a vacuum cleaner.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

i had a class side panel from a corsair case shatter during the night at some point, but i posted it on this forum and a corsair rep guided me through the replacement process

(spontaneous shatters happen very rarely though)