Mining on a prebuilt (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer)

Could I just get some PCIe risers, plug them into the machine, install the GPU's in a frame, install a mining linux distro on it, and mine away, or is there anything else I need to consider? I found plenty with 3 to 5 PCIe lanes, x16 and x1, sometimes x4. Mainly from the sandy bridge to Haswell generation. Anything funky that I should know about these manufacturers in terms of this?

Thank you!

the PSU capability

and are all lanes available at once? sometimes some slots are disabled if you use certain lanes. (ie, m.2 drive sometimes disable some x1 lanes)

some weird errors may occur too, i recently ran into an issue where i got B1InitializeLibrary error when plugging more than 2 GPU into a system, even though my board has 4 PCIE slots

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 hours ago, Moonzy said:

the PSU capability

and are all lanes available at once? sometimes some slots are disabled if you use certain lanes. (ie, m.2 drive sometimes disable some x1 lanes)

some weird errors may occur too, i recently ran into an issue where i got B1InitializeLibrary error when plugging more than 2 GPU into a system, even though my board has 4 PCIE slots

Yeah, I will definitely replace or add a nice 90+ gold psu to the system.

I dont think Sandy bridge to hazwell prebuilt PC's have  m.2 slots, so no errors there.

What was that on? That is more of a software/bios issue, not a having more than 2 gpus in a system. Were you using PCIe  risers with the 1x slots or was it 4 x16 slots right on the motherboard?

Just now, JoeAceJR said:

Yeah, I will definitely replace or add a nice 90+ gold psu to the system.

does the system use standard pins for the rest of the system? pre-built likes to use their own thing

1 minute ago, JoeAceJR said:

What was that on? That is more of a software/bios issue, not a having more than 2 gpus in a system. Were you using PCIe  risers with the 1x slots or was it 4 x16 slots right on the motherboard?

it's a bios issue i reckon, i updated bios and it bricked, so no idea

4 GPU on 1x risers

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

does the system use standard pins for the rest of the system? pre-built likes to use their own thing

it's a bios issue i reckon, i updated bios and it bricked, so no idea

4 GPU on 1x risers

1. Whichever prebuilt I do get, I can always adapt the 24 pin to 8 pin, or just make sure it has a 24 pin slot. The 4 pin could just come  from a 4+4 cpu connector from the psu. 

2. If you werent referring to the 24 pin connector, what were you referring to?

3. Was that in a  prebuilt PC like a dell/hp/acer? Which model was it, if it was a prebuilt?

Just now, JoeAceJR said:

Was that in a  prebuilt PC like a dell/hp/acer? Which model was it, if it was a prebuilt?

custom PC, Asus B150 pro gaming aura board

1 minute ago, JoeAceJR said:

Whichever prebuilt I do get, I can always adapt the 24 pin to 8 pin, or just make sure it has a 24 pin slot. The 4 pin could just come  from a 4+4 cpu connector from the psu. 

sure if you're that handy