Double checking my server build before purchase

GhostDog786

I'm thinking of getting an IBM System x3650 M3 and then outfitting it with 2 Xeon L5640's and 36gb ram, could someone please double check my plan before I go out and purchase all the stuff (like that it would work and be alright for a decent sized website)?

I'm expecting ~10000 visitors a day max (although I've gotten enough power for 1000 at any one moment from what little info I was able to find), w/ 25 total pages, each page averaging 2000000 bytes, working out to about 138888kb/s peak bandwidth (or 0.1388888 GB/s). 

Why such an old server and what is the expected price you are going to pay for it?

That kind of load shouldn't be a problem for those CPUs, does depend on the actual website and what technologies were used to build it though.

Indeed quite old hardware. Are you going to host it at home or in a datacenter? Is your connection up to snuff?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

Why such an old server and what is the expected price you are going to pay for it?

That kind of load shouldn't be a problem for those CPUs, does depend on the actual website and what technologies were used to build it though.

~400 AUD total for the server, so it's not really expensive for the power I'm getting imo, that's also the reason it's an 'old' server, as it's one that will fit into my budget. 

9 minutes ago, GhostDog786 said:

~400 AUD total for the server, so it's not really expensive for the power I'm getting imo, that's also the reason it's an 'old' server, as it's one that will fit into my budget. 

With that many users, id probalby aim for a higher budget.

Is this just a basic website, or is there a database backend? What webserver and OS?

What internet connection do you have? I wouldn't host this on a home connection

Id really try to get something newer if you can.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

With that many users, id probalby aim for a higher budget.

Is this just a basic website, or is there a database backend? What webserver and OS?

What internet connection do you have? I wouldn't host this on a home connection

Id really try to get something newer if you can.

Yea unfortunately my connection isn't the best, but either way I'm going to upgrade it in the future, it'll only really be simple web pages (like a few forms, some files for download, mostly just blog like content). The only reason it's so old is because it's second hand, and I can't really find anything else (atleast not that I could find it in my time).

Is this a brand new website or do you have actual metrics of your current platform? If you’re starting at zero, maybe run it on a cloud provider that allows you to scale?

Given that you’re speaking of home connections, I’m wondering if this is more aspiration than actual expectation. 

if the hardware is a good deal go for it, serving static content shouldn’t be too hard. Heck, with half a gig of site contents you could just put the entire thing in Varnish and serve from RAM.