Is there a way to fold with a gpu, but not have high temps?

Go to solution Solved by porina,

You can set a power and/or temperature limit using overclocking tools like MSI Afterburner. Obviously it'll reduce performance and potentially affect anything running on the GPU.

IMO 70C isn't bad for a load like this.

I have a zotac gtx970 reference, I would fold with it, but when I set the power to medium, it starts folding with the gpu and the blower starts going and the gpu is at about 70°C. image.png.3260f31182fb122c7a59172b0b268902.png  

Is there a way to fold with the gpu, but not load it to 100%?

You can set a power and/or temperature limit using overclocking tools like MSI Afterburner. Obviously it'll reduce performance and potentially affect anything running on the GPU.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

The sound is quite bad tho, if it wasnt that loud, I would fold with the gpu too

12 minutes ago, porina said:

I put the thermal limit to 60, now it is not as loud, also set my fans to 60%

14 minutes ago, porina said:

LMAO, now my cpu is throttling, I'd want a setting where it's loading the cpu at 50%, and the gpu like in the medium setting

don't bother folding with the cpu, it's not worth it, as it probably only has 10% the folding performance the gpu has.

as for gpu thermals, try undervolting it using msi afterburner.

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

don't bother folding with the cpu, it's not worth it, as it probably only has 10% the folding performance the gpu has.

When I tried @porina method of lowering the thermal limit, it worked, but then my cpu started throttling, because the usage wasnt 50%, but like 75%. Also how do I not fold with the cpu, and only the gpu?

Just now, Latvian Video said:

When I tried @porina method of lowering the thermal limit, it worked, but then my cpu started throttling, because the usage wasnt 50%, but like 75%. Also how do I not fold with the cpu, and only the gpu?

there are some settings inthe folding software, where you can pick what hardware you want to fold on. you can leave the gpu and maybe only 2 cores of the cpu or something. I can't remember exactly where the setting is.

13 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Also, just checked, I can't undervolt in msi afterburner, only overvolt

Just now, Latvian Video said:

Also, just checked, I can't undervolt in msi afterburner, only overvolt

you can if you play with the frequency/voltage curve

you need to pick the max voltage you want to see and make the rest of the curve beyond it flat

Standards for UV/OC GTX 1070 | NotebookReview

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

you can if you play with the frequency/voltage curve

you need to pick the max voltage you want to see and make the rest of the curve beyond it flat

Standards for UV/OC GTX 1070 | NotebookReview

Can't seem to find it anywhere

4 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Can't seem to find it anywhere

click on the little button I circled in red

image.png.f943c78215802ae0522059f06d286727.png

might be possible that nvidia didin't allow undervolting on these cards, which is weird. one last thing to try:

J5H9Ktj.png

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

might be possible that nvidia didin't allow undervolting on these cards, which is weird. one last thing to try:

J5H9Ktj.png

Already was on

image.png.3f730a25562ac46412620e162434ab01.png

1 minute ago, Latvian Video said:

Already was on

then lowering temp limit and power limit (which you've already done) are your only options unfortunately

Just now, boggy77 said:

then lowering temp limit and power limit (which you've already done) are your only options unfortunately

At least that is wayyyyy better than my cpu, which is a athlon x4 860k OCd to 4ghz. f@h showed estimated score around 30k, with the cpu it was around 6k

3 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

At least that is wayyyyy better than my cpu, which is a athlon x4 860k OCd to 4ghz. f@h showed estimated score around 30k, with the cpu it was around 6k

i think if you disable cpu folding completely or just allow it for 1 core or 2, the whole temp and noise situation will improve overall.

also, if you want to improve the gpu folding score, increase memory clock.