Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New rumour suggests the "Super Switch" might be a pretty hefty upgrade afterall

8 minutes ago, StDragon said:

The SNES wasn't based on meaningless marketing in terms of specification. It could paint 256 colors at once from a palette of 32,768 with a Sony DSP for digital audio. For its time, it blew everything out of the water from a price/performance ratio. 3D capability wasn't added until the SuperFX chip co-processor, but even then it was limiting. It was the only 16-bit console that could come close to replicating "Arcade quality" at an affordable price. The only thing better was the NeoGeo, and that was legendary stuff (with a legendary price); in fact, it was the same hardware as in the NeoGeo cabinet.

Which was exactly my point, at the time the industry cared more about advertising "xx-bit" or "Blast Processing". We had the CDi & 3DO which were touted as 32-bit. Atari even claimed the Jaguar was a 64-bit console despite it only running a 32-bit instruction set.

To the average 11 year old 64-bit was meaningless and the console manufacturers knew it, it was purely a "bigger number therefore better console" mindset.

I'm certainly not claiming the SNES was a bad system, its my favourite system that's ever existed and arguably the greatest gaming console of all time (basing the metric on amount, variety & quality of the games the system had).

Back then they all wanted the same thing, playground arguments over who had the most bits.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

the word "Super" has a different meaning to what it did in the 90s.

lol, to me it still rings the same "Super Nintendo" bell in my head.

Super hero movies - and the character "Superman" - were quite big in the 90's too.

Nintendo has a history of using Super, other than the SNES too.

- Super Mario Bros.

- Super Smash bros

- Heavily used in the Pokemon series too (in names for items, like Super Potion and Super Repel, in names of moves like Super Fang and Superpower, in the name of Mystery Dungeon game "Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon").

If anything, they should avoid the "Super" moniker to avoid clashing with any of the listed above.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Do we know what hardware it's supposed to be running? This would be a new mobile SoC design right? Using Turing/Ampere technology?

Could be the Tegra Xavier. Volta is really similar to Turing, so it should be doable, and it's being widely used already.

Another option is the Orin, but I don't think it's in production yet.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Interesting, the new Shield TV supports DLSS, Linus did a video on how good it is...

I wonder how they pulled if off using a Pascal GPU?

Well, you can pull it off easily if all you want to do is upscale stuff. In the case of games, however, you want your raw GPU power free to render the actual game and have units dedicated to the upscaling step.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

the switch is so disappointing.

the switch had so much potential. still does. but they crippled it. a game system, plays games {obviously}, plays local video and online video, plays local music and online music. so a game system the switch is not. no videos no music no Bluetooth headsets = not a game system but a toy that plays games alone. i do own one but if they offered me my money for it and all the games i would return it in a second. it has not even been out of the dock in months. if i go somewhere a take a tablet, plays nes and snes games, does all video content, does all music plus it does web browsing and pictures. the switch is a one trick pony. also not to mention the homepage is not customizable in any way at all. cant organize your games or anything.

nintendo has not made a decent console since the gamecube. wii was a trash toy, the wii u was a trash tablet.

then we get too the overpriced games

botw should have just been called nintendo rpg. if that was the case it would be a great game, but the paper cartoon crap all over the place is not a zelda, equipment breaking is not zelda, no navi not zelda. n64 had zelda down packed as far as 3d zelda goes. if they insist on making it a zelda it was ok  if that.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I really want to play Mario Odyssey

The game is pretty fun, but Bowser's Fury is even better (not in performance nor amount of stuff to do, but gameplay and soundtrack).

46 minutes ago, rabbitanarchy14 said:

then we get too the overpriced games

botw should have just been called nintendo rpg. if that was the case it would be a great game, but the paper cartoon crap all over the place is not a zelda, equipment breaking is not zelda, no navi not zelda. n64 had zelda down packed as far as 3d zelda goes. if they insist on making it a zelda it was ok  if that.

BOTW is insanely popular. I haven't played it, but it wouldn't have inspired a dozen chinese knockoffs if it wasn't. The game you're describing is n64 Zelda not NES zelda, when it's been made clear that BOTW was directly based on it.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14781038/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-8-bit-prototype-gdc-2017

Anyway.

If you don't like it, just hawk it on eBay and never buy a Nintendo system again. The same can be said to not enjoying the content library of any console. However the PS and Xbox library is not married to the system, it's married to the account, so you can't "sell" your game library, nor even give it away to someone else.

People mad that a game system plays games. What a time to be alive...

I can take a guess to what it's called:

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.1Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

Probably leaning in on the "Super Nintendo" nostalgia brand. Like if they throwback to a SNES-colored version that wouldn't surprise me.

However the reason I never bought the Switch (short of not being able to find one when everyone got one) is that I basically noped out all the consoles after the Xbox 360 S hard drive died on me and the Wii U still works. PS4? Xbox One? Not a serious upgrade, and microtransaction creep. 

Fast forward to day, nobody can find a PS5, Xbox Series X, nVidia GPU of any kind, or high end CPU, and it's just like ... "well I'll take what I can get" point or just use Stadia if my PC isn't quite good enough for it. My PC has been "good enough" to run everything until FFXV and CP2077 came out, both I can't play at a performance level on the PC that doesn't require nerfing the games visual appeal, so I'm just going to have to wait to play those until the cryptocoin speculators lose their shirts.

Hopefully Nintendo has learned from ... well every console they've released since the Gamecube that they under-produce (Wii, Wii U, Switch, 3DS, NES-mini and SNES-mini) them, and scalpers are the only ones benefitting from this garbage marketing gimmick.

My "new gpu first" list of games grows every month. I'm really rooting for giant crypto price corrections, Tesla alone accounts for 25% of the speculative worth atm. I suppose when Tesla finally falls off the bull, crypto takes a nosedive until we find who the floor of people who want to hold something less real than runescape gold.

CPU: Ryzen 5600x | GPU: Heckin' 1080 @2.0GHz | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL16 3200 | PSU: EVGA 750G+ | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Do we know what hardware it's supposed to be running? This would be a new mobile SoC design right? Using Turing/Ampere technology?

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Unknown though ScriesM found evidence of the dock containing a 4K encoder.

If DLSS really is a thing then it has to, right? The current Switch GPU doesn't support DLSS. If I had to guess I'd say the same SoC as what's in the new Shield TV, probably downclocked a bit.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

That looks to be using a Tegra X1+ which is a node shrink, clock bump and LP4X support. Tegra X2 is also only Pascal GPU 🤷‍♂️

There's a good chance it's a fairly custom SoC for Nintendo. It seems unlikely to be a Tegra X2, given Nvidia moved to even more customized ARM cores. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if it's basically a more standard ARM design version of the X2, so they can maintain much better hardware compatibility. 

Now, as for "DLSS", fairly certain that's just going to be a meme. The "new" Shield already had a very nice media decoder/upscaler, so it's more likely Nintendo will have that as a standard alone device that sits in a "4k Dock". A ML approach makes little sense for what they're up to, while dedicated upscalers have already been shown to produce very good results. It would also split the 720p/1080p processing needs from the 4K needs, which makes the most sense for Nintendo. They can also sell 4K docks for 100USD so ppl can upgrade their normal switch. 

5 hours ago, igormp said:

Could be the Tegra Xavier. Volta is really similar to Turing, so it should be doable, and it's being widely used already.

Another option is the Orin, but I don't think it's in production yet.

Both of those seemed to have much larger target use cases than a portable console, though they don't actually have to attach that much ram to them or could just make a revision modification of either one.

I bet it's basically the same chip, in a smaller node (16nm->8nm) with a few tensor cores for DLSS. Lower voltage + bump frequency ~ 2x perf at same power (they only really need to consistently deliver 720p@60 undocked and 1080p@60 docked for DLSS do it's magic). Maybe change the memory for a faster one.