If you don't accept WhatsApp's new ToS by May 15 you'll stop receiving messages, after 120 days your account will be terminated.

Master Disaster

Reported by TechCrunch and confirmed as accurate by WhatsApp, starting on May 15th users who have not accepted the new terms of service will no longer be able to send or receive messages and will be shown a banner informing them they must accept the new terms.

WhatsApp said earlier this week that it will allow users to review its planned privacy update at “their own pace” and will display a banner to better explain the changes in its terms. But what happens to its users who do not accept the terms by the May 15 deadline?

In an email to one of its merchant partners, reviewed by TechCrunch, Facebook-owned WhatsApp said it will “slowly ask” such users to comply with the new terms “in order to have full functionality of WhatsApp” starting May 15.

If they still don’t accept the terms, “for a short time, these users will be able to receive calls and notifications, but will not be able to read or send messages from the app,” the company added in the note. The company confirmed to TechCrunch that the note accurately characterizes its plan.

Calls will be unaffected for a short period then after that users accounts will be marked as inactive meaning their service stops entirely and they have 120 days to accept the ToS before their account is deleted entirely.

The “short time” will span a few weeks. In the note, WhatsApp linked to a newly created FAQ page that says its policy related to inactive users will apply after May 15.

WhatsApp’s policy for inactive users states that accounts are “generally deleted after 120 days of inactivity.”

They explained the changes to the ToS in a blog post, essentially as well as WhatsApp giving Facebook its users phone numbers and device info they will now also be sharing buying habits and payment details between the two platforms for the purposes of targeted advertising.

Following backlash, WhatsApp said its planned privacy update had created confusion among some of its users. “We’ve heard from so many people how much confusion there is around our recent update. There’s been a lot of misinformation causing concern and we want to help everyone understand our principles and the facts,” it wrote in a blog post last month.

Since 2016, WhatsApp’s privacy policies have granted the service permission to share with Facebook certain metadata such as user phone numbers and device information. The new terms will allow Facebook and WhatsApp to share payment and transaction data in order to help them better target ads as the social juggernaut broadens its e-commerce offerings and looks to merge its messaging platforms.

Source - https://techcrunch.com/2021/02/19/whatsapp-details-what-will-happen-to-users-who-dont-agree-to-privacy-changes/

Facebook needs to hurry up and die already. They tried this exact same thing with Oculus needing a Facebook account.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

[optimize output image]

As Telegram so elegantly put it.....

Boohoo, like they're the only messaging app.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

That's what makes it so stupid, its like Facebook is trying to piss off its users at this point.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

they are in my country. where i live everyone uses it. it's straight up the default for texting. it's a lot bigger than iMessage even. jsut for your context where i live teachers use WhatsApp groups to communicate with students. 

She/Her

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

TechCrunch tarafından rapor ve 15 Mayıs tarihinden itibaren WhatsApp tarafından doğru olarak teyit inci hizmet yeni şartları kabul etmemiş kullanıcılar artık göndermek veya mesaj almak mümkün olacak ve yeni şartlarını kabul etmelidir bilgilendiren bir pankart gösterilecektir.

Çağrılar kısa bir süre etkilenmeyecek, daha sonra kullanıcı hesapları etkin değil olarak işaretlenecek, yani hizmetlerinin tamamen duracağı ve hesapları tamamen silinmeden önce Hizmet Şartları'nı kabul etmek için 120 günleri olacak.

Temelde bir blog gönderisinde Hizmet Şartları'ndaki değişiklikleri açıkladılar ve WhatsApp'ın Facebook'a kullanıcılarına telefon numaralarını ve cihaz bilgilerini vermesinin yanı sıra, artık hedefli reklamcılık amacıyla iki platform arasında satın alma alışkanlıklarını ve ödeme ayrıntılarını paylaşacaklar.

Kaynak - https://techcrunch.com/2021/02/19/whatsapp-details-what-will-happen-to-users-who-dont-agree-to-privacy-changes/

Facebook'un acele edip ölmesi gerekiyor. Aynı şeyi Oculus'un bir Facebook hesabına ihtiyacı olduğunda denediler.

I think this imposition. they have very strict rules .. I think people should refuse collectively ...

10 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Sadly, the thing with messaging apps is that you want everyone to use a single one.

For example I am stuck with Facebook Messenger because that's the only thing a lot of my family members use. For some of my friends I am stuck with Discord because it is what they want to use. For some of my online friends I am stuck with Wire because that's the only thing they want to use. For some of my colleagues I am stuck with SMS because they use iMessage and I have an Android phone. Other colleagues use Teams so I have to use that. But some uses WebEx so then I have to use that.

I am pretty tired of using 5+ messaging apps just because people can't find a common platform to use. At least not in my social circle. At this point I'd be happy even with WhatsApp as long as everyone I knew used it.

5 minutes ago, Rym said:

Just use Discord. It's better anyway.

In what way is Discord better than WhatsApp? In my eyes, Discord is one of the worst messaging apps.

It doesn't do E2EE.

The program is bloated as hell and uses a ton of resources for no reason (or rather, the reason being that it is a poorly written Electron app).

Discord goes through all messages sent.

You can always give away your privacy to facebook and use whatsapp then. That is basically what facebook wants from you, no?

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Sadly, the thing with messaging apps is that you want everyone to use a single one.

For example I am stuck with Facebook Messenger because that's the only thing a lot of my family members use. For some of my friends I am stuck with Discord because it is what they want to use. For some of my online friends I am stuck with Wire because that's the only thing they want to use. For some of my colleagues I am stuck with SMS because they use iMessage and I have an Android phone. Other colleagues use Teams so I have to use that. But some uses WebEx so then I have to use that.

I am pretty tired of using 5+ messaging apps just because people can't find a common platform to use. At least not in my social circle. At this point I'd be happy even with WhatsApp as long as everyone I knew used it.

This. It doesn't matter if the app is good or not, it is about if the people you communicate with use it. And once a new app is popular and all your friends use it - guess what? They will do the same BS to make more $. That is what successful apps do. I don't blame them for cashing in, it is just a fact what successful apps will end up doing. 

So what if I find the perfect app? Then I just text myself if no one else uses it? 

Same with Facebook. I hate the company, and the bulk of the feeds, the re-sharing etc. But every group I'm in, or most friends and family i have use FB (or just Wattsapp for the less computerized ones). 

The only way this would improve if you could message across platforms. Like a phone. I can call or text people that have Verizon, even if i have AT&T. Imagine how the world would have looked like 15 years ago if you only could make phone calls within the same carrier? 

10 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

they are in my country. where i live everyone uses it. it's straight up the default for texting. it's a lot bigger than iMessage even. jsut for your context where i live teachers use WhatsApp groups to communicate with students. 

So? I use it for work quite a lot and we already switched for the most part. It's literally just download another app, done.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I think WhatsApp is among the top 5 most downloaded app in my country, people have been using it since before it was acquired by Facebook.

I have a feeling that a lot of people aren't gonna care and are just gonna accept the ToS.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah I get that single app for all. But it just seems people are so hard stuck with themselves for no good reason.

I just went with more direct approach, I stopped using it and said I don't use it. I don't use F messenger anymore. Discord is fine, especially for your gaming buddies. Having to use SMS because they don't want to install another app, I'd laugh at them. The online conference apps, well that's another sucky thing, but it's funny how people are hardstuck to "their" messaging app. 

I too have many of them still installed, but yeah for job we switched from WA and as for private, yeah whatever else than FB owned things.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

In what way is Discord better than WhatsApp? In my eyes, Discord is one of the worst messaging apps.

It doesn't do E2EE.

The program is bloated as hell and uses a ton of resources for no reason (or rather, the reason being that it is a poorly written Electron app).

Discord goes through all messages sent.

its more like they are for different purposes. I cant think of a better community chat program than discord where you have hundreds of people 

8 hours ago, Rym said:

Just use Discord. It's better anyway.

It's not in the same league...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Gotta use whatsapp, no question about it. Too many people use it for both work and social for me to say no to that ToS. Not that I care about FB getting my info or w/e, since I use FB as well, and the whole online privacy thing is laughably overrated anyway. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

13 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

So? I use it for work quite a lot and we already switched for the most part. It's literally just download another app, done.

I'm not the guy you replied to, but I'm in a very similar situation, so I'll explain the problem to you: I've made a lot of my friends switch to telegram (which wasn't easy), but my parents and teachers just don't want to switch no matter how many times I tell them the privacy issues in whatsapp, telling me I need to be "less paranoid" to survive in this world without going insane.

So I either give up all my data to Facebook (i never made a facebook account, so it doesn't know anything about me yet), or I lose contact with my parents and my school's official group, which neither of them are allowing me to do.

3 hours ago, Ash_Kechummm said:

I never made a facebook account, so it doesn't know anything about me yet

Inb4 you google shadow profiles

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>