Is a 550W 80+ Gold psu good for an i7 9700K and an Rtx 3060 (not Ti)?

BigRecoiilz

We don't know, the 3060 hasn't been reviewed yet. Theoretically if it's a good unit it might work, but I'd wait for reviews.

Nvidia does say 550W would work though on their website, but I'd wait anyway.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

for the same price u can probably get an 650/700 W 80+ bronze .

but i will suggest u to wait for the reviews n buy

Are you overclocking the 9700k? If so how aggressively? I would say it really depends on what you do with the 9700k as I know Intel cpus tend to ramp up on power consumption pretty quickly if you start to overclock. Also why 550 watt gold anyways? I tend to be of the philosophy that you should get a psu that is generally more than you need that way later down the line you don't have to upgrade. Let's say a couple years down the line you decided to get a rtx 4080 when that comes out and you end up having to replace your psu simply to save a small amount of money when you first built your system. 

15 minutes ago, TTV BigRecoiilz said:

Title says it all

The 3060 hasn't released yet or been reviewed, but I beileve you should be fine with it, provided you're not overclocking. If you already have it, that's fine. If you don't and are looking to buy, I'd reccomend antec earthwatts gold

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Which 550w gld rated? Theres good ones (rm550x for example) and bad ones ( most sub 40$ gold psus)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Which 550w gld rated? Theres good ones (rm550x for example) and bad ones ( most sub 40$ gold psus)

seasonic focus gold gm-550. it's in the B or A- tier on the psu tier list i believe?

6 hours ago, TTV BigRecoiilz said:

Title says it all

No it doesn't.

80 PLUS Gold is an efficiency level.  Not a quality level.  You can still have a garbage 80 PLUS Gold efficiency PSU.

5 hours ago, TTV BigRecoiilz said:

seasonic focus gold gm-550. it's in the B or A- tier on the psu tier list i believe?

Make sure you put that in the FIRST post.  We shouldn't have to ask.

19 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No it doesn't.

80 PLUS Gold is an efficiency level.  Not a quality level.  You can still have a garbage 80 PLUS Gold efficiency PSU.

nice

On 2/22/2021 at 5:45 PM, jonnyGURU said:

No it doesn't.

Yeah, a psu company could make it a straight wire from the wall to your components, and call it 80 + platinum if it didn't lose hardly any power