Hide posts in the sidebar and subforums from ignored users

kelvinhall05
4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

which is why I don't quite get it, a few seems to use it for social reasons but with the setup at least to me, doesn't seem to encourage that in a way and easily missed out, over general activity? unless people follow you for some reason?

Which is why there are both front page widget and specific Activity Feed for those who are interested of social media aspects in general. If you aren't into social media style interactions, then you don't need to mind about those. Except when you feel like posting just link, video, pic or anything else with "hey look at this" content. As those will be either locked or merged as pointless topics.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

People who enjoy that side of things will make use of the Status updates activity stream...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Which is why there are both front page widget and specific Activity Feed for those who are interested of social media aspects in general.

ah, so there is a widget and the feed?

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

People who enjoy that side of things will make use of the Status updates activity stream...

oh, thats a thing. but still makes me think it's less social than it could be. then again, I guess you can say this is not that kind of social media than a tech forum.

3 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

ah, so there is a widget and the feed?

Widget is front page, under the videos.

3 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

oh, thats a thing. but still makes me think it's less social than it could be. then again, I guess you can say this is not that kind of social media than a tech forum.

Yeah. Its offered as extra, not the core. This is discussion forum first, social media second.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i made my own weird work around for this. It's not perfect, but it works well enough. Works best if you have multiple people blocked, otherwise you will still know who it is.

• Avatar: ublock origin - Block element (never shows their avatar unless they change it.
  • Name: depending on your browser, you can get a word replacer addon
    • Firefox: FoxReplace
    • Chromium: Use My Words

And just replace the username with a space and it will block the name from showing up anywhere. Very occasionally it doesn't catch the name in the quote box if someone quoted the blocked user, but everywhere else it works.

Forum front page shows this when a blocked user replied recently (mock up). and works the same in the sidebar. You will still see the "post" but nothing about who posted it.

image.png.da647e94389499a7b485c721477d9033.png

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 5/31/2021 at 2:27 AM, Arika S said:

Works best if you have multiple people blocked, otherwise you will still know who it is.

Avatar: ublock origin - Block element (never shows their avatar unless they change it.

Name: depending on your browser, you can get a word replacer addon

Forum front page shows this when a blocked user replied recently (mock up). and works the same in the sidebar. You will still see the "post" but nothing about who posted it.

Why? surprise block? Sounds like more work than what you get out of it.

*gets surprised by clicking on the thread or forum and blocks all the moderators to gain superpowers*

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to block entire thread created by ignored users?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

On 7/5/2021 at 6:17 AM, Moonzy said:

Is there a way to block entire thread created by ignored users?

You mean like blocking them in the topic list? 

HTTP/2 203

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

You mean like blocking them in the topic list? 

yea

so i don't even know the thread they created exists

6 hours ago, Moonzy said:

yea

so i don't even know the thread they created exists

It does that for me right now. Though one thing I noticed is that the sidebars just hide the post/status update. They don't add an older one to bring it back to 10 for new posts and 5 for new SUs - if there's some being hidden they're just gone.

elephants

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

It does that for me right now. 

you mean in the subforum topic list?

image.thumb.png.9782b79f60ae4ecd8fb35f5623273757.png

and preferably, here (just an example)

image.thumb.png.45771a08332d2ce0fde12ccc2969d62e.png

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

They don't add an older one to bring it back to 10 for new posts and 5 for new SUs - if there's some being hidden they're just gone.

that's fine