Crucial P1, P2 and P5 ssd

What is the difference between Crucial P1, P2 and P5 SSDs which one is better in terms of endurance?

Which should I buy?

Here is a simple comparison of the probably most important aspects of the drives (except random read/write, because Crucial didn't list this):

image.png.945a81cbae36466a4f706b91fd9d1958.png

The reason there is a question mark with the P2/P5 on QLC/TLC is because they don't list this spec themselves and in a review I see Crucial has said they might switch specs later, so even though it's a TLC drive now, they might switch to QLC (but the P5 would likely stay TLC, according to the review).

The TBW (Terabytes written, AKA its endurance) is the largest difference between these drives. The large different between the P5 and P2 spark a bit of suspiciounn in me about the P2 being QLC.

It kind of depends on what you're buying the drive for, but I wouldn't bother with the P1 or P2. The Kingston A2000 is similar in price and better in all aspects.

The P5 doesn't seem too great either, so I would suggest looking if the Seagate Barracuda 510 is an option too. Sometimes the Samsung 970 EVO (not Plus) can be had for good prices too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 2/22/2021 at 5:46 PM, minibois said:

Here is a simple comparison of the probably most important aspects of the drives (except random read/write, because Crucial didn't list this):

image.png.945a81cbae36466a4f706b91fd9d1958.png

The reason there is a question mark with the P2/P5 on QLC/TLC is because they don't list this spec themselves and in a review I see Crucial has said they might switch specs later, so even though it's a TLC drive now, they might switch to QLC (but the P5 would likely stay TLC, according to the review).

The TBW (Terabytes written, AKA its endurance) is the largest difference between these drives. The large different between the P5 and P2 spark a bit of suspiciounn in me about the P2 being QLC.

It kind of depends on what you're buying the drive for, but I wouldn't bother with the P1 or P2. The Kingston A2000 is similar in price and better in all aspects.

The P5 doesn't seem too great either, so I would suggest looking if the Seagate Barracuda 510 is an option too. Sometimes the Samsung 970 EVO (not Plus) can be had for good prices too.

I don't do video editing, I am just buying ssd to increase the boot speed and install games to load them faster. 

do I need to concern about the endurance ?

which ssd you suggest in my case?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 2:16 PM, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

I don't do video editing, I am just buying ssd to increase the boot speed and install games to load them faster. 

do I need to concern about the endurance ?

which ssd you suggest in my case?

Oh I'm so sorry, I just saw I had missed your reply.

Not sure if you've made up your mind already, or are still looking for more info.

The endurance comes from writing lots of data to an SSD, which games don't really do. The main disadvantage with the QLC drives is that once you fill up the drive more (say 75% and up) it becomes (much) slower.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/