CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB)
HDD: 1TB NVMe
Cooler: Corsair iCue H150i Elite Capellix
PSU: Corsair RM750
Case: Lian Li O11-Dynamic
GPU: Reused GTX 970

I put it altogether, POST was fine, installed Windows 10, installed updates, updated BIOS, used the PC for several hours, productivity, video calls, no problem. About 6 hours later, just whilst sat watching YouTube, Windows shut down but the PC was still powered and fans were running. I powered down the system and turned it on again and now the machine refuses to POST at all.

I reseated the RAM, GPU, checked all the cables, tried with 1 stick of RAM, reset the CMOS (by removing the battery) but no luck at all. I don't have any warning beeps or any warning lights on the onboard EZ Debug LED.

The PC was totally working fine and then after several hours, it just shut down and stopped. I was checking my temps as it was a brand new build and the CPU was stable at around 29 to 32 degrees.

Any ideas?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB | Corsair H150i Elite Capellix | Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe | EVGA GeForce 970 | MSI Meg X570 Unify | LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic | Windows 10 Pro x64

Tried without RAM. No luck.

I removed the battery for 30 seconds. Would that be sufficient, or would I have to short the jumper?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB | Corsair H150i Elite Capellix | Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe | EVGA GeForce 970 | MSI Meg X570 Unify | LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic | Windows 10 Pro x64

11 minutes ago, Zoom7000 said:

So I just built a new system yesterday.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB)
HDD: 1TB NVMe
Cooler: Corsair iCue H150i Elite Capellix
PSU: Corsair RM750
Case: Lian Li O11-Dynamic
GPU: Reused GTX 970

I put it altogether, POST was fine, installed Windows 10, installed updates, updated BIOS, used the PC for several hours, productivity, video calls, no problem. About 6 hours later, just whilst sat watching YouTube, Windows shut down but the PC was still powered and fans were running. I powered down the system and turned it on again and now the machine refuses to POST at all.

I reseated the RAM, GPU, checked all the cables, tried with 1 stick of RAM, reset the CMOS (by removing the battery) but no luck at all. I don't have any warning beeps or any warning lights on the onboard EZ Debug LED.

The PC was totally working fine and then after several hours, it just shut down and stopped. I was checking my temps as it was a brand new build and the CPU was stable at around 29 to 32 degrees.

Any ideas?

this could legit be anything, try a different PSU cable and we'll start from there.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Just now, Zoom7000 said:

Tried without RAM. No luck.

I removed the battery for 30 seconds. Would that be sufficient, or would I have to short the jumper?

Usually it's fine to just remove the battery, but if you can it wouldn't hurt to short it but I don't think it's necessary. Also have you tried the RAM sticks in different slots? Like one stick in slot #1, then #2 etc? That worked for me when my motherboard broke. It only worked in #1 with 1 stick of RAM.

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

this could legit be anything, try a different PSU cable and we'll start from there.

Which cable should I replace? 24 pin? 8 pin CPU? GPU cable?

1 minute ago, Zoom7000 said:

Which cable should I replace? 24 pin? 8 pin CPU? GPU cable?

the PSU power cord i meant Image result for psu power cable

Okay, well, I'll try another power lead. Although the system does power on. I just don't get a POST display.

2 minutes ago, Zoom7000 said:

Okay, well, I'll try another power lead. Although the system does power on. I just don't get a POST display.

Probably a long shot but have you made sure it's not just your HDMI or DP cable that is loose or something else monitor related? Do you have another monitor you can try?

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

2 minutes ago, Zoom7000 said:

please do, and then reply to this.. the reason why i want you to do this is because sometimes the cable just goes bad and this happened to me actually and fixed my post problem..

1 minute ago, MorbidAngel said:

Probably a long shot but have you made sure it's not just your HDMI or DP cable that is loose or something else monitor related? Do you have another monitor you can try?

I've got a dual monitor set up with 2 DisplayPort cables and also HDMI too. Can't get a display on either screen with either input.

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

please do, and then reply to this.. the reason why i want you to do this is because sometimes the cable just goes bad and this happened to me actually and fixed my post problem..

It's a brand new cable, but, I'll give it a try as soon as I'm home and then update here.

The more I read, the more it sounds to me like a power supply failure

Just now, Vins69 said:

The more I read, the more it sounds to me like a power supply failure

Just out of interest, what makes you think that? I only ask because wouldn't a faulty PSU cause the system to not power on at all?

I had a PC from a friend with similar synthoms and after digging it was the PSU which was able to start the led, the system and GPU fans but not the whole PC...

6 minutes ago, Zoom7000 said:

Just out of interest, what makes you think that? I only ask because wouldn't a faulty PSU cause the system to not power on at all?

nope

7 minutes ago, Zoom7000 said:

PSU is almost always the first thing to consider checking out when random crashes (exactly like these) happen. So its just best to get that out of the way right away.

33 minutes ago, Zoom7000 said:

shorting the jumper is the correct/recommended way to clear cmos, not removing the battery.

Try reinstalling you bios version.

I had similar odd booting behavour when i installed my 5600x on x570, i tried various things to try and fix it but to no avail. I let my friend try fix it and after he update the bios its all worked fine even tho I'd already updated. Figured it was a botched install or something, haven't had issues since

24 minutes ago, Useless Soveriegn said:

Try reinstalling you bios version.

I had similar odd booting behavour when i installed my 5600x on x570, i tried various things to try and fix it but to no avail. I let my friend try fix it and after he update the bios its all worked fine even tho I'd already updated. Figured it was a botched install or something, haven't had issues since

How would I reinstall the BIOS without getting a display? Is it something to do with the Flash CMOS button on the rear I/O shield?

I did update the BIOS, but I'll give that a try. Thanks.

So, I tested the following:

Tried another power cable (kettle lead)

Reset CMOS (both shorting and battery reseat, holding down the power for 20 seconds before powering back on)

Tried another working GPU (GTX 720)

Tried 2 working PSUs

Tried both sticks of RAM individually

Tried booting without the m.2 NVMe

Reseated the CPU

Flash BIOS via USB (latest version - v15)

Flash BIOS via USB (previous version - v14)

Still no luck. I'm totally stumped. I'm gonna try to get my hands on another CPU. Failing that, it could only be the motherboard, right?

Yep, although a faulty motherboard completing the BIOS upgrade via usb seems a bit strange to me...

There are also some rumors about faulty Ryzen 5x00

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/147438-no-evidence-high-ryzen-5000-cpu-failure-rates-seen-europe/

but let's see if you're able to try with another cpu, at this point you've already tried anything!

So, managed to get my hands on a Ryzen 3 2200G, I just installed it. And... Now I get a CPU warning light! 🤦‍♂️
But I don't get any warning light at all with the 5800X

What does that mean?!