My GTX 1070 just sold for stupid money

bikerchris

Regular viewer of LTT, so just thought I'd contribute.

I bought a GTX 1070 in April 2017 for £375, use it for a few months, but eventually got a better card for my needs and the software I mainly use (ironically lower performing card) , so just put it aside and forgot about it.

Just sold it on ebay for £460 + £10 postage. I can't believe the GPU world has gotten this stupid for this long, someone's being shafted, and it sure as hell ain't the manufacturers.

Fingers crossed that within a year, things get a bit normal again, as I'd still like an RTX 3080 before PCI slots become outdated! 😆😆😆🤔

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

5 year old GPUs turning a profit after 4 years of use, I hate everything

Definitely shouldn't be a profit thing, never has been before. It'll get better though I'm sure...or it better do.

Once again, stop tempting me to sell my 480.

I'm already a Inch away from doing it.

If I can get 300 on one, that's most of a 3060 (when stock doesn't suck)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, bikerchris said:

as I'd still like an RTX 3080 before PCI slots become outdated!

PCI slots became outdated in ~2018, as I believe that's when they stopped being included on motherboards.

Saying "getting a 3080 before PCIe 3.0 is outdated" might be a bit better.

On the topic of this post, congrats on your profit?

I wonder if I could make any money on my GTX 750.

EDIT:
Hold on a sec, I'm making $88 from my GTX 750 2GB.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=gtx+750+2gb+-ti+-710&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=gtx+750+-ti+-710&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc

elephants

7 minutes ago, bikerchris said:

Regular viewer of LTT, so just thought I'd contribute.

I bought a GTX 1070 in April 2017 for £375, use it for a few months, but eventually got a better card for my needs and the software I mainly use (ironically lower performing card) , so just put it aside and forgot about it.

Just sold it on ebay for £460 + £10 postage. I can't believe the GPU world has gotten this stupid for this long, someone's being shafted, and it sure as hell ain't the manufacturers.

Fingers crossed that within a year, things get a bit normal again, as I'd still like an RTX 3080 before PCI slots become outdated! 😆😆😆🤔

my friend just put up a RTX 2060 KO that he bought for $250. Its selling on ebay for ~$550.

Such a terrible market right now.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

15 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Once again, stop tempting me to sell my 480.

I'm already a Inch away from doing it.

If I can get 300 on one, that's most of a 3060 (when stock doesn't suck)

Sorry about tempting you, mind you, if you don't need it right now, that 3060 will be within reach, like you say, when stocks don't suck!

15 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

PCI slots became outdated in ~2018, as I believe that's when they stopped being included on motherboards.

Saying "getting a 3080 before PCIe 3.0 is outdated" might be a bit better.

On the topic of this post, congrats on your profit?

I wonder if I could make any money on my GTX 750.

EDIT:
Hold on a sec, I'm making $88 from my GTX 750 2GB.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=gtx+750+2gb+-ti+-710&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=gtx+750+-ti+-710&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc

Oh dear, sorry, I was trying to be humorous, but it didn't work 😆

Cheers for congrats, it's actually a hard one to take, as I'm used to working to earn money...not having the right GPU at the right time! Still, at least a certain auction site has made some money!

15 hours ago, MarvintheParrot said:

my friend just put up a RTX 2060 KO that he bought for $250. Its selling on ebay for ~$550.

Such a terrible market right now.

Wow, that is ridiculous eh. I'm really hoping the makers remember where they put them - I've done the same things with my keys before.

Just now, bikerchris said:

Oh dear, sorry, I was trying to be humorous, but it didn't work 😆

Jokes don't carry well across text, which is sad, because I make a lot of jokes that are hard to detect unless you can hear me say them.

Cheers for congrats, it's actually a hard one to take, as I'm used to working to earn money...not having the right GPU at the right time! Still, at least a certain auction site has made some money!

I'm considering selling my GTX 750, since I don't need it.
I don't have an eBay account anymore, though, so...

elephants

For poops and giggles though, here’s one of my conversations within a few days of starting the auction:

HIM: Hey mate I was wondering why you are selling this card and also why it is so dusty for some reason, can I get an explanation please?

ME: Hi pal this is mainly due to it’s poor performance with professional software (AutoCAD, etc.). Eventually I bought a Quadro P2000 and it worked just as I wanted. I guess the light amount of dust is due to the non-fan side pointing upwards, along with just sitting there not doing anything for a good 6+ months. Hope that helps.

HIM: hey if possible, would you be able to put it in a pc and benchmark any games or use a benchmarker to see how it performs. If it does well I may purchase this.

ME: I was thinking about doing that some time, so keep an eye on the listing - I don’t play computer games so I’ll probably use a benchmark utility.

HIM: Hey if you can reserve this card for me at £130 I’ll buy it today.

ME: Thank you for the offer, but I’m in no hurry to sell this. One sold for £295 a few days ago, same condition.

HIM: I’m not going over £150 on this and I’m in a rush for this card. However I’m alright to talk for negotiating.

ME: It sounds like this item isn’t for you, very best of luck in getting one else where, I’m sure another will show up soon.

HIM: I’ve been looking for this card for a very long time and is 100% for me. The price is justified at the levels of dust because I lost my gpu to dust causing it to break.

ME: I do sympathise, however I’m not taking £150 for it, I’m using this bidding process to get the maximum amount to compensate for the replacement GPU I’ve bought. I do wish you the very best.

HIM: How much are you looking to sell the card for?

ME: One sold for £295 a few days ago, same condition.

HIM: a brand new 1660 is cheaper than that and has better performance for that price…

ME: That may be, but people are still paying more than they should this for card. I don’t know who you are and I’m not trying to offend you, but this is just the current market. If the current market suggested it was only worth £100, I would sell it for that.

I got a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X that I have been thinking of selling. Its just sitting in the box that it came in, including all the original packaging. Waiting back on a friend's pal to see if he wants it or not. Some guy in MC was willing to pay $400 for it when I went yesterday, but I didn't have it with me. Crazy money though. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 minutes ago, bikerchris said:

Sorry about tempting you, mind you, if you don't need it right now, that 3060 will be within reach, like you say, when stocks don't suck!

I mean I don't need it, but it's (by far) my best gpu.

Following that would be a faulty had 2600xt and then a HD 3650.

But that's like 3x what I would get for it normally.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

If I had literally anything else that could hold me over for a while I'd sell my RX 570 right now. I could still make a profit on it, even though I bought it 3 years ago. Sadly the second newest card I own (unless you count a GT 710) is a Radeon HD 6870, and that's not going to cut it for FH4. I've got a Radeon R9 270 that I could squeeze by with, but it's dead. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

The market here isn't so bad thankfully. I bought a used RTX 2080 Super for 500 Euros about a month ago, less money than what you sold your 1070 for. Yes it is the cheapo blower model, but even the nice ones were going for around 580 (at the time, I haven't checked since). Someone could make a killing buying up cards in Europe and flipping them on Ebay in the US.

19 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Jokes don't carry well across text, which is sad, because I make a lot of jokes that are hard to detect unless you can hear me say them.

I'm considering selling my GTX 750, since I don't need it.
I don't have an eBay account anymore, though, so...

You're not wrong, and I'm sure your jokes are amazing 🙂

Hmm, well may be you can offer it here or a geographically suitable site, if needed.

3 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Probably not. More realistically you are looking at half the price which is still more then it should be.

Think I could get $69 from it?

Hmm, well may be you can offer it here or a geographically suitable site, if needed.

No one would buy a GTX 750 2GB for $69.

I'll probably ask my mom to list it or something.

elephants

18 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I got a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X that I have been thinking of selling. Its just sitting in the box that it came in, including all the original packaging. Waiting back on a friend's pal to see if he wants it or not. Some guy in MC was willing to pay $400 for it when I went yesterday, but I didn't have it with me. Crazy money though. 

Crazy stuff isn't it. You'd probably get more for it...although saying that, you never know when you might need it, especially if your other card goes pop.

10 minutes ago, Shoopman said:

The market here isn't so bad thankfully. I bought a used RTX 2080 Super for 500 Euros about a month ago, less money than what you sold your 1070 for. Yes it is the cheapo blower model, but even the nice ones were going for around 580 (at the time, I haven't checked since). Someone could make a killing buying up cards in Europe and flipping them on Ebay in the US.

That's interesting to know, thank you. Lucky you!

i sold mine for 272.98 euros back in Nov, regret it, now bought a  2nd hand 1050ti as no stock of 3080

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

4 minutes ago, bikerchris said:

Crazy stuff isn't it. You'd probably get more for it...although saying that, you never know when you might need it, especially if your other card goes pop.

This is what worries me. My PC is old, but I can hold off upgrading. If my GPU goes pop, my PC could be out of action for months. Nearly 500 quid for another, used, 1070, shit.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

This is what worries me. My PC is old, but I can hold off upgrading. If my GPU goes pop, my PC could be out of action for months. Nearly 500 quid for another, used, 1070, shit.

It's stupid that we have to think this way, never known of a time when normal people have to 'keep their own stock' of GPU's, just in case. I'm lucky enough to have enough GPU's now, not super powerful ones, but ones that allow me to work (rarely play computer games these days). I've got an RTX 4000 & P2000 now, the latter can do the job, depending on what i'm doing. Main thing is I've got a 'backup GPU'...stupid that it's even something I have to worry about, but if I don't have one, I can't work, so can't earn money!

25 minutes ago, bikerchris said:

That's the thing! I did repaste my RTX 2080 last weekend as I was bored, it took me at least an hour to clean the thermal paste in between the capacitors surround the die itself. Then the thermal pads ripped so I replaced them with 1mm thick pads that I have, which I don't know is the right size or not. Those were only on the memory chips and I have no way of measuring the temperatures as well. 

I do have an R9 270X sitting in its box but I doubt anyone would buy it considering its old. This one goes back to my first PC. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, bikerchris said:

You made me think about selling a "spare" 1070 I have again... I saw your listing while looking up recent sales to get an idea on pricing. You do seem to have got more than average for it, maybe helped by your information. Good stuff. Think mine will be on the lower end given it is a blower card too. 

Still kicking myself for selling some other excess GPUs at their lowest pricing before the shortages kicked off. But can't change the past, and seeing what happens in the future was never my strong point.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The GPU prices right now is the most stupid thing in the PC market since years. Already old GPUs becoming more expensive, even secondhand more expensive than their current new price, that's just crazy.
I just have my GTX 1080 since November and I could sell it since I'm busy with my study, but it won't be worth it. I'm more baffled that I didn't pull the trigger on buying a $500/$600 RTX 2080 Ti when I had the chance. I even see people selling the lesser used graphics cards like a Radeon VII for $1000-1500.

The weirdest thing is, I could even sell a Ryzen 3200G or 3400G for integrated GPU for more than I actually paid for. And that Vega is only at GT 1030 level.