Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Absurdly high CPU temps on a good air cooler

Running a Xeon E5649 on the MSI X58 Pro E, which is (according to many, many people) supposed to run at low temperatures on Clocks as high as 4,5 Ghz. But mine goes up to 95 °C, then throttles after a short while on prime95 even with my newly bought scythe fuma 2 (which I bought for triple the price i paid for my cpu). I have reseated the cooler a thousand times, tried exchanging thermal pastes, running the cpu at only 3,8 ghz, running it open case or out of the case on a test bench built of cardboard and wood and always got the same results. 

Have i really just lost the silicon lottery or is there something else goin on?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Just Yamazaki said:

Running a Xeon E5649 on the MSI X58 Pro E, which is (according to many, many people) supposed to run at low temperatures on Clocks as high as 4,5 Ghz. But mine goes up to 95 °C, then throttles after a short while on prime95 even with my newly bought scythe fuma 2 (which I bought for triple the price i paid for my cpu). I have reseated the cooler a thousand times, tried exchanging thermal pastes, running the cpu at only 3,8 ghz, running it open case or out of the case on a test bench built of cardboard and wood and always got the same results. 

Have i really just lost the silicon lottery or is there something else goin on?

 

What cooler are you using, what thermal paste are you using and can you override the cpu fan speed?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some tests and trials need to be run.

 

I have to ask, and i'm not trying to offend but keeping it simple is a good place to start: have you removed the clear protective adhesive sticker from the bottom of the cooler?

Looks like this: 

sticker.jpg.0a8765470195541af36a37b126c3f7ae.jpg

I like that you've tried reseating the cooler, How does the Thermal paste spread look? after removing the cooler, should look something like this. Nice, thin, well distributed, not overflowing.

tPaste.jpg.acfab5e32bb656e23e3149b3b87a5c52.jpg

 

What voltages is it applying to the CPU?

Have you tried something that isn't prime 95 to stress test? prime 95 small ffts is not always considered a real world test because it is crazy intense and usually much more intense than any use you'll have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SuperNerd Kid said:

What cooler are you using, what thermal paste are you using and can you override the cpu fan speed?

1) scythe fuma 2

2) thermal grizzly kryonaut

3.) There is like a "smart cpu speed" option in the bios, it just never works. Same goes with Speedfan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Some tests and trials need to be run.

 

I have to ask, and i'm not trying to offend but keeping it simple is a good place to start: have you removed the clear protective adhesive sticker from the bottom of the cooler?

Looks like this: 

sticker.jpg.0a8765470195541af36a37b126c3f7ae.jpg

I like that you've tried reseating the cooler, How does the Thermal paste spread look? after removing the cooler, should look something like this. Nice, thin, well distributed, not overflowing.

tPaste.jpg.acfab5e32bb656e23e3149b3b87a5c52.jpg

 

What voltages is it applying to the CPU?

I have in fact removed the sticker , and the thermal paste spreads nice and even. 

Voltage is ~ 1.37V and I've tried several cpu stress tests 

Edited by Just Yamazaki
Link to post
Share on other sites

does applying gentle but firm pressure to the top of the cooler while testing offer any reduction in Temps? i'm trying to discern if we have a mounting pressure problem... i experienced this with my h100i several years ago.

 

also, what kind of core voltage is it using?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maxxtraxx said:

does applying gentle but firm pressure to the top of the cooler while testing offer any reduction in Temps? i'm trying to discern if we have a mounting pressure problem... i experienced this with my h100i several years ago.

Sadly no, as I have tried that already

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Core voltage?

1.37 (as visible in my edit : )

Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm not picking up on any immediate easily diagnosed problems here...

 

My personal next step would be swapping out CPU cooler... maybe there's a problem with the cooler... heat pipes were never filled, mounting surface is defective, ect.

 

if another cooler performs better, we may have an answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I already did that. Exchanged my previous X2 9891 PWM (eclipse advanced) for this brand new scythe fuma 2. It's all so weird to me too

Link to post
Share on other sites

hopefully someone else more intelligent and with more experience than I will chime in with something we're missing... sorry man, i'm out of ideas atm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So the temps have always been trash, right? Also with the old cooler? 

It's an odd issue with everything you've tested, the only thing that would come to my mind is that they didn't apply the Thermal Interface Material properly when they made the CPU (not sure if those Xeons were soldered).

Other than that, maybe try a full reset of the bios and check stock temps...

My Rig: Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 | Enermax ETS-T40 | Strix Vega56 | ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 | G.Skill RipjawsX 16gb | RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitors - #1 BenQ XL2411Z #2 BenQ RL2450HT

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, -iSynthesis said:

So the temps have always been trash, right? Also with the old cooler? 

It's an odd issue with everything you've tested, the only thing that would come to my mind is that they didn't apply the Thermal Interface Material properly when they made the CPU (not sure if those Xeons were soldered).

Other than that, maybe try a full reset of the bios and check stock temps...

It's soldered far as I know and yes, the temps have always been garbage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

At 4500MHz you are probably pretty close to the limit of the cooler even if you are only feeding it 1.375. If you had a killawatt plugged in you would either be surprised or you would giggle at how much power you are actually using. I have a Rampage III Formula and X5690 E.S. that I drag out from time to time, your 1.375 only gets me 4300, I need 1.45v for 4500, and scales to 1.6v for 4800 with chilled air.. brr.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140

Asus Strix B550-F | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14

EVGA 980 Classified | WD SN750 500GB+1TB

Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Design Meshify C TG

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, freeagent said:

At 4500MHz you are probably pretty close to the limit of the cooler even if you are only feeding it 1.375. If you had a killawatt plugged in you would either be surprised or you would giggle at how much power you are actually using. I have a Rampage III Formula and X5690 E.S. that I drag out from time to time, your 1.375 only gets me 4300, I need 1.45v for 4500, and scales to 1.6v for 4800 with chilled air.. brr.

Oh, I never got a stable 4.5, i was promised a stable 4.5 lol. This overheating happens even on 3.6-3.9

Link to post
Share on other sites

4Ghz should be the minimum, I could run anything under the sun at 4ghz with my x5690 and a 212 Evo with a buttload of case flow. But it struggled at 4.1. I bash that cooler every chance I get lol. I think I might have thrown it away actually. I needed my box back 😄

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140

Asus Strix B550-F | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14

EVGA 980 Classified | WD SN750 500GB+1TB

Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Design Meshify C TG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×