Windows didn't install the SATA controller drivers

Heya, 
Following a hardware failure on my motherboard and the replacement of said motherboard, Windows went through a discovery of the new hardware and then crashed during the drivers setup, causing some things like the SATA controller or the LAN interface driver to not be installed. 

At the time of writing, swapping to another motherboard does not correct the issue, resetting the BIOS does not resolve it either and both my time and my patience towards this flaming garbage can of an OS are wearing off. 

Any idea on how I can work around this without having to completely reinstall my computer? 

Already tried installing my motherboards driver through the manufacturer's website, installing the chipset drivers, resetting the BIOS, swapping my boot drive to a completely different computer and letting it do its thing, then swapping back. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Thank you in advance for your time, kind stranger.

___________________________ EDIT _____________________________
Maybe I should clarify this as well since apparently it's not clear enough.

I've got six drives on my computer. 

SATA
 - A:\ is a 1TB HDD on SATA1
 - B:\ is a 2TB HDD on SATA2
 - D:\ is an 8TB HDD on SATA3
 - E:\ is a 250GB SSD on SATA4
 - F:\ is a 60GB SSD i use for caching on SATA5
NVMe
 - C:\ is a 500GB NVMe SSD on m.2:1 and is also my boot drive.

Out of all these drives, windows will only show C:\, which happens to be the only drive NOT managed by the SATA controller. 

Going to the device manager shows that there are two SATA controllers, both of which are under the "other devices" category and show a "device not configured properly" error. 

Manually updating the drivers from there leads to another error stating "Cannot update the drivers due to your local system policy, please contact your administrator."

Edited by VladVonSaalt
Added additional information

3 minutes ago, VladVonSaalt said:

Heya, 
Following a hardware failure on my motherboard and the replacement of said motherboard, Windows went through a discovery of the new hardware and then crashed during the drivers setup, causing some things like the SATA controller or the LAN interface driver to not be installed. 

At the time of writing, swapping to another motherboard does not correct the issue, resetting the BIOS does not resolve it either and both my time and my patience towards this flaming garbage can of an OS are wearing off. 

Any idea on how I can work around this without having to completely reinstall my computer? 

Already tried installing my motherboards driver through the manufacturer's website, installing the chipset drivers, resetting the BIOS, swapping my boot drive to a completely different computer and letting it do its thing, then swapping back. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Thank you in advance for your time, kind stranger.

I have the same problem quite often (professional Computer service) and sadly the ony thing that really resolves the issue is a fresh new install of Windows. Installing the available drivers from the manufacturers website sometimes helps but since you already did that and it din't help I would suggest that your best option is a new install.

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

17 minutes ago, SEAL62 said:

I have the same problem quite often (professional Computer service) and sadly the ony thing that really resolves the issue is a fresh new install of Windows. Installing the available drivers from the manufacturers website sometimes helps but since you already did that and it din't help I would suggest that your best option is a new install.

Oh god please no

That's the most f-ing annoying thing, there's so much on my C: drive and i can't back it all up because guess what my only other available drive is on a SATA port...

And let's not even speak of the (literally) hundreds of (not-so-legal) copies of games I got installed on my games drive, and all the programs i installed outside of "Program Files" to save space on C: ... All the register entries that won't work anymore... urgh

I hate Windows. 
How the heck do they even make money out of something so broken, i do not understand. 

Did you just change a motherboard or the entire platform say CPU+Motherboard. This not able to boot usually happens when you've switch to a different platform say form Intel to AMD and vice versa where the board is using SATA controller from a different manufacture, and the preinstalled sata drivers (from your current OS) or generic SATA drivers, included in Win10 isn't supported or compatible. When both are the same then it still does not boot, that usually means your upgrade gap is too wide so that can also cause this type of problem.

The other would be your old SATA is set to standard and your current one is set to ACHI.
So you've managed to boot up by plugging it to another machine, installed all the necessary drivers, but when you've plugged back to the board want to run it at, it still won't boot?

Which temporary board did it let you boot into windows and let you install the drivers, and what board are you upgrading to that won't let you boot?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Did you just change a motherboard or the entire platform say CPU+Motherboard. This not able to boot usually happens when you've switch to a different platform say form Intel to AMD and vice versa where the board is using SATA controller from a different manufacture, and the preinstalled sata drivers (from your current OS) or generic SATA drivers, included in Win10 isn't supported or compatible. When both are the same then it still does not boot, that usually means your upgrade gap is too wide so that can also cause this type of problem.

The other would be your old SATA is set to standard and your current one is set to ACHI.
So you've managed to boot up by plugging it to another machine, installed all the necessary drivers, but when you've plugged back to the board want to run it at, it still won't boot?

Let's set the timeline straight. 

I had an MSI x570 mpg mobo and a ryzen 5 3600.
The mobo died and i had to send back both the mobo and the CPU. 

in the meantime, in order to get a working computer, i got myself a r5 2600x and a gigabyte b450.
Switching went fine, the drivers for the new mobo were installed and i got a computer. 

And earlier today, i got back the exact same 3600 i had, with a brand new msi x570 mpg.
As I was booting windows, it crashed during the drivers setup, and it won't perform the automatic detection again.

36 minutes ago, VladVonSaalt said:

Let's set the timeline straight. 

I had an MSI x570 mpg mobo and a ryzen 5 3600.
The mobo died and i had to send back both the mobo and the CPU. 

in the meantime, in order to get a working computer, i got myself a r5 2600x and a gigabyte b450.
Switching went fine, the drivers for the new mobo were installed and i got a computer. 

And earlier today, i got back the exact same 3600 i had, with a brand new msi x570 mpg.
As I was booting windows, it crashed during the drivers setup, and it won't perform the automatic detection again.

So were you using your drive on the B450 board temporary while you've waited for your X570 to come back. Going from something new, back to old (temporary), and back to new again, might cause windows to get confused to what SATA controller you want to use, so thus the crash. Don't want to format because it's a pain the a** to get everything back the way it was, Then what you can try to do is, take a spare drive if you have one and clone your entire C:\ over to the spare. Use the spare as your test drive so whatever happens to it, at least you'll still have your original. Try booting up with your new board from this spare drive and see what it does. Still the same problem, then boot using the B450 and upgrade to the latest version of win10, hopefully this replace all windows file with a new one and lets you boot up with your X570.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So were you using your drive on the B450 board temporary while you've waited for your X570 to come back. Going from something new, back to old (temporary), and back to new again, might cause windows to get confused to what SATA controller you want to use, so thus the crash. Don't want to format because it's a pain the a** to get everything back the way it was, Then what you can try to do is, take a spare drive if you have one and clone your entire C:\ over to the spare. Use the spare as your test drive so whatever happens to it, at least you'll still have your original. Try booting up with your new board from this spare drive and see what it does. Still the same problem, then boot using the B450 and do a reinstall of OS inside windows, after you've logged into your desktop. hopefully this replace all windows files with a new copy and let you boot back up again on your X570.

issue is, the only spare drive i have left is an m.2 sata drive, which still requires the sata controller. 
also, it's only 250GB and my current system drive is 500GB.
I've had trouble cloning bigger drives into smaller ones in the past even if they're not full, i'm fairly certain the issue will be exactly the same. 

also, my b450 mobo is an ITX one so it only has a single m.2 slot. 
can't clone windows using it.

wait... I don't understand the problem? didn't you try to install drivers via device manager? 

if you mentioned that then sorry but I missed it... 

so go into device manager, click on every device that has a yellow ! 

and click "install drivers"... 

If that for some weird reason doesn't work, update windows... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 minutes ago, VladVonSaalt said:

issue is, the only spare drive i have left is an m.2 sata drive, which still requires the sata controller. 
also, it's only 250GB and my current system drive is 500GB.
I've had trouble cloning bigger drives into smaller ones in the past even if they're not full, i'm fairly certain the issue will be exactly the same. 

also, my b450 mobo is an ITX one so it only has a single m.2 slot. 
can't clone windows using it.

So your OS drive is also m.2?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

So your OS drive is also m.2?

My OS drive is an NVMe SSD so yeah m.2 2280 format

3 minutes ago, VladVonSaalt said:

My OS drive is an NVMe SSD so yeah m.2 2280 format

I see. Make sure your bios is properly configured for NVME drive and then boot up with a win10 setup disc or usb and run a automatic repair.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

wait... I don't understand the problem? didn't you try to install drivers via device manager? 

if you mentioned that then sorry but I missed it... 

so go into device manager, click on every device that has a yellow ! 

and click "install drivers"... 

If that for some weird reason doesn't work, update windows... 

Shitdows won't let you update the SATA controller and AHCI drivers manually. 

My realtek network card is stuck with a code 56 error, that apparently is due to a conflict with a VPN service, which I don't have on my computer. Can't update it manually through the device manager nor the provided drivers from the MSI website. 

Can't update windows because i've got no internet, can't reinstall windows while keeping personal files and apps because "i'm using a different language than the one i'm trying to install" which is bullshit since both my current system and the windows ISO are in english, specifically EN-GB. 

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I see, then your not being able to boot might have something to do with your windows boot manager. Make sure your bios is properly configured for NVME drive and then boot up with a win10 setup disc or usb and run a automatic repair.

It does boot, but it's missing the AHCI/SATA controller drivers, and the ethernet interface drivers.

My BIOS is properly configured, i've double-checked. 
Automatic repair didn't work the first nor the second time, I don't really see why it'd work now.

4 minutes ago, VladVonSaalt said:

It does boot, but it's missing the AHCI/SATA controller drivers, and the ethernet interface drivers.

My BIOS is properly configured, i've double-checked. 
Automatic repair didn't work the first nor the second time, I don't really see why it'd work now.

Did you boot up by using the win10 setup disc or usb drive to do the repair or ran the "repair" that was automatically started by windows since it can't boot?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

13 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Did you boot up by using the win10 setup disc or usb drive to do the repair or ran the "repair" that was automatically started by windows since it can't boot?

Both. 

Again, it does boot, so I had to manually trigger the repair during boot, but I also tried with a fresh 20H2 usb installation media, which ran the repair.... and nothing else happened.

9 minutes ago, VladVonSaalt said:

Both. 

Again, it does boot, so I had to manually trigger the repair during boot, but I also tried with a fresh 20H2 usb installation media, which ran the repair.... and nothing else happened.

Okay so on your X570 it does boot, but not all the way where it loads up to your desktop. It crashes as windows is still booting.
On your B450 it boots up fine as if nothing was wrong with it.
Do you have a regular SATA SSD or HDD, can clone to that and you'll have a much higher chance of getting that to boot up, when it's all properly configured, can clone it back to your NVMe SSD. 

Try install AMD chipset drivers and see if that helps.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

28 minutes ago, VladVonSaalt said:

Shitdows won't let you update the SATA controller and AHCI drivers manually. 

My realtek network card is stuck with a code 56 error, that apparently is due to a conflict with a VPN service, which I don't have on my computer. Can't update it manually through the device manager nor the provided drivers from the MSI website. 

Can't update windows because i've got no internet, can't reinstall windows while keeping personal files and apps because "i'm using a different language than the one i'm trying to install" which is bullshit since both my current system and the windows ISO are in english, specifically EN-GB. 

UwU... okay, that sounds messed up... 

But just to get this straight, it works on the other motherboard, as @NumLock21suggested?  because then I think I have an idea!  🤔

(yes I'm saying this jokingly, but it's what I'd probably (very likely) do - if everything really works fine on the other mobo...) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Okay so on your X570 it does boot, but all the way where it loads up to your desktop. It crashes as windows is still booting.
On your B450 it boots up fine as if nothing was wrong with it.
Do you have a regular SATA SSD or HDD, can clone to that and you'll have a much higher chance of getting that to boot up, when it's all properly configured, can clone it back to your NVMe SSD. 

On the x570, prior to hardware failure, it worked fine.
On the b450, it worked fine. 
On the new x570, it crashed once during the new device discovery. It then rebooted and got me to my desktop but without installing the required drivers for my computer to function. Every reboot now fully completes but I still don't have the drivers.

I can't get windows to perform the automatic device discovery process again, which means i don't have a network access nor access to any SATA drive, henceforth I can't clone my current windows installation to any spare sata ssd. 
I do not have a spare NVMe ssd either. 

1 minute ago, VladVonSaalt said:

On the x570, prior to hardware failure, it worked fine.
On the b450, it worked fine. 
On the new x570, it crashed once during the new device discovery. It then rebooted and got me to my desktop but without installing the required drivers for my computer to function. Every reboot now fully completes but I still don't have the drivers.

I can't get windows to perform the automatic device discovery process again, which means i don't have a network access nor access to any SATA drive, henceforth I can't clone my current windows installation to any spare sata ssd. 
I do not have a spare NVMe ssd either. 

So it did get into your desktop once with your new X570 board, after that it stopped working. Then try doing a system restore to go back a day or so and hope that lets you boot into your desktop so you can install them drivers.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

But just to get this straight, it works on the other motherboard, as @NumLock21suggested?  because then I think I have an idea!  🤔

(yes I'm saying this jokingly, but it's what I'd probably (very likely) do - if everything really works fine on the other mobo...) 

Everything works fine on the other mobo but 
1- it's an ITX mobo, meaning that i can only have four HDDs and one NVMe SSD
2- it's an ITX mobo which means i can't securely attach it to my case because it's physically is too small. Using it was only a workaround
3- it's an ITX mobo so I only have a single PCIe slot, which isn't enough as I have two GPUs and a wireless VR card that both need PCIe.
4- it's a b450 board, which has worse power delivery and doesn't support PCIe 4.0. Even worse, it did make a difference with my 3600.
5- I didn't pay a $190 mobo to not use it to its fullest... That would be the least of my concerns but it's still one of the issues with not using it

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So it did get into your desktop once with your new X570 board, after that it stopped working. Then try doing a system restore to go back a day or so and hope that lets you boot into your desktop so you can install them drivers.

Nooooo, it does boot all the way to the desktop every single time now, that's how i know i can't manually install drivers for the SATA controller!

Just now, VladVonSaalt said:

Nooooo, it does boot all the way to the desktop every single time now, that's how i know i can't manually install drivers for the SATA controller!

If you're able to boot up every time with your new X570, why are you even trying to install your SATA controller? SATA controller is managed by Windows.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

If you're able to boot up every time with your new X570, why are you even trying to install your SATA controller? SATA controller is managed by Windows.

Mate, that's the issue
Windows didn't install the driver for the SATA controller, therefore it doesn't see any of my HDDs except my NVMe boot drive, which isn't controlled by the SATA controller since it's a PCIe device (managed directly by the CPU), and i've got no access to my files and programs, which aren't stored on my boot drive.

Just now, VladVonSaalt said:

Mate, that's the issue
Windows didn't install the driver for the SATA controller, therefore it doesn't see any of my HDDs except my NVMe boot drive, which isn't controlled by the SATA controller since it's a PCIe device (managed directly by the CPU), and i've got no access to my files and programs, which aren't stored on my boot drive.

SATA
NVMe

Out of all these drives, windows will only show C:\, which happens to be the only drive NOT managed by the SATA controller. 

Going to the device manager shows that there are two SATA controllers, both of which are under the "other devices" category and show a "device not configured properly" error. 

Manually updating the drivers from there leads to another error stating "Cannot update the drivers due to your local system policy, please contact your administrator."

56 minutes ago, VladVonSaalt said:

SATA
NVMe

Have you tried to let windows update install the drivers?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!