When merging topics, include "merged" on all the posts of one of the merged threads in the final result

WillOfTheLand

So using a post in my thread that was merged earlier into another as example, move "posted 5 hours ago" over to the right and put "merged X number of hours ago" where it is on all the posts from a single side of the 2 merged threads to add clarity to the final result, as it can be a disorienting when a entire thread is merged and you now need to figure out what were posts in your thread, and what were posts in the other thread.

image.thumb.png.ac1d15691d0b8fbd71e5bde2833b7a55.png

like this?

image.png.075edd24018658a10d9a6ac903b1535e.png

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Its rather rare where two bigger threads (>3 posts) get merged. Usually we just lock and leave post telling which thread is kept open. This is (imo) cleaner solution because of the fact that posts get shuffled by time of posting.

So I kinda do agree, but also think that this should either be setting, or expiring thing. Like its visible for couple of days or something. Similar to temporary links we have with moved topics. I see no value seeing that timestamp or mark after week or more has passed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

44 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Its rather rare where two bigger threads (>3 posts) get merged. Usually we just lock and leave post telling which thread is kept open. This is (imo) cleaner solution because of the fact that posts get shuffled by time of posting.

So I kinda do agree, but also think that this should either be setting, or expiring thing. Like its visible for couple of days or something. Similar to temporary links we have with moved topics. I see no value seeing that timestamp or mark after week or more has passed.

That's a really good idea, because by the time a week has passed it's pretty clearly just "a part of the conversation".  And it's mainly just so people who were actively posting to the thread know where things are at a glance so they wouldn't need it a week later.

I can definitely see the value in it, if it were implemented well, but it's not something that would be easy to add to the forum software - when topics are merged, the posts all become part of the same topic with nothing to distinguish which topic they were from originally.

HTTP/2 203

18 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

I can definitely see the value in it, if it were implemented well, but it's not something that would be easy to add to the forum software - when topics are merged, the posts all become part of the same topic with nothing to distinguish which topic they were from originally.

There is an easy way to do that,

You can do this:

After pressing the merge button:

Make a new Original Post ID Syntax associated with merged comments,and before the merging is being done,copy the value of the post id syntax to the Original Post ID Syntax of the comment,

Display the Original Post ID syntax value on the comment like this:

1738904228_DesktopScreenshot2021_02.21-17_53_59_45.thumb.png.99cada512ca644c7664093b1290626f7.png

Then do the merging.

Here is an extremely simplified code to show the logic you can use to easily do that:

if ( Merge Button Pressed )
						{

$originaltopic['ogtid'] = $topic['tid'];

if ( $originaltopic['ogtid'] > 0 )
								{
									Merge Function;
									exit();
								}
							exit();
						}

I didn't work on Invision forum systems for 10 years,so excuse me for my rusty skills.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 2/21/2021 at 5:31 PM, Vishera said:

There is an easy way to do that,

You can do this:

After pressing the merge button:

Make a new Original Post ID Syntax associated with merged comments,and before the merging is being done,copy the value of the post id syntax to the Original Post ID Syntax of the comment,

Display the Original Post ID syntax value on the comment like this:

1738904228_DesktopScreenshot2021_02.21-17_53_59_45.thumb.png.99cada512ca644c7664093b1290626f7.png

Then do the merging.

Here is an extremely simplified code to show the logic you can use to easily do that:

if ( Merge Button Pressed )
						{

$originaltopic['ogtid'] = $topic['tid'];

if ( $originaltopic['ogtid'] > 0 )
								{
									Merge Function;
									exit();
								}
							exit();
						}

I didn't work on Invision forum systems for 10 years,so excuse me for my rusty skills.

There is nowhere to put that information in the database, and the effort required to implement this as an entirely custom thing with a separate database table is not worth it for the minimal gains (large topics are relatively rarely merged).

HTTP/2 203

15 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

There is nowhere to put that information in the database, and the effort required to implement this as an entirely custom thing with a separate database table is not worth it for the minimal gains (large topics are relatively rarely merged).

You are correct,I used to make custom solutions for Invision forum systems,and wrote my reply with this mindset.

I understand that you have other matters to deal with and since the effort is greater than the gains you prefer to use your resources for other things.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566