Is it safe to power GPUs rated higher than PSU capacity with Afterburner?

dan_729
Go to solution Solved by porina,
1 hour ago, dan_729 said:

I'm wondering if its safe to power 6 x 3070 limited to 120W via Afterburner with a 1000W PSU

In theory, it should be ok. The power limit is board power, so that's 720W there leaving 280W for everything else before you reach PSU rating.

There is some concern about the power peaks that were reported at the initial 3080 launch, where ultra-short power spikes were tripping more sensitive PSU power limiters even though the average was within specification. I don't know if that also applies to the 3070 so that might cause problems.

You also have to be very careful not to put a big power load into the GPUs before you set the lower power limit. In theory the PSU will probably self-protect if you forget to do that.

48 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Iirc in theory yes, but you may be loosing a fair bit of performance from the gpus. I doubt the psu you have has even 6 8 pins if you decide to go down that route, however, and getting a splitter I'd say really isn't a good idea. 

Mining doesn't depend on core power so much so lower power limit generally doesn't affect it much. Splitters are mainly bad if you use them at high power, but at reduced power, it can be gotten away with. 

I got into mining recently, and realized that I could make the GPUs a lot more efficient with some software tweaks (MSI Afterburner).

Which got me thinking: if I set the power limit to a low %, is it safe to power the system with a PSU that meets these new power requirements? (i.e. Set GPUs power limit from 300W to 150W > Feed the system with -150W rated PSU for each GPU)

I'm wondering if its safe to power 6 x 3070 limited to 120W via Afterburner with a 1000W PSU

12 minutes ago, dan_729 said:

I got into mining recently, and realized that I could make the GPUs a lot more efficient with some software tweaks (MSI Afterburner).

Which got me thinking: if I set the power limit to a low %, is it safe to power the system with a PSU that meets these new power requirements? (i.e. Set GPUs power limit from 300W to 150W > Feed the system with -150W rated PSU for each GPU)

Iirc in theory yes, but you may be loosing a fair bit of performance from the gpus. I doubt the psu you have has even 6 8 pins if you decide to go down that route, however, and getting a splitter I'd say really isn't a good idea. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

In theory, it should be ok. The power limit is board power, so that's 720W there leaving 280W for everything else before you reach PSU rating.

There is some concern about the power peaks that were reported at the initial 3080 launch, where ultra-short power spikes were tripping more sensitive PSU power limiters even though the average was within specification. I don't know if that also applies to the 3070 so that might cause problems.

You also have to be very careful not to put a big power load into the GPUs before you set the lower power limit. In theory the PSU will probably self-protect if you forget to do that.

48 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Mining doesn't depend on core power so much so lower power limit generally doesn't affect it much. Splitters are mainly bad if you use them at high power, but at reduced power, it can be gotten away with. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Why wouldn't it be "safe"?  You're demanding less power from the PSU than it's capable of outputting.  That's certainly "safer" than the other way around.