changing thermal paste on HP Omen 15 2020

Infinoz

I have a 5 month old HP Omen 15 2020 with Ryzen 5 4600H, should I change the thermal paste on my CPU, will it do any good?

thermal paste almost never needs to be re-applied. at best you could do is elevate it and allow more cooling to it. If very high temps constantly happen. Id ship it to the manufacturer to see what is wrong with it.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

Usually not, no, unless it's years old already and dried out. But for your inner peace and to introduce thermal paste that transfers heat slightly better and actually doesn't dry out after a year or so, you can do that.

oh cool, I'll wait for another year to change it!

1 minute ago, Chris Greene said:

thermal paste almost never needs to be re-applied. at best you could do is elevate it and allow more cooling to it. If very high temps constantly happen. Id ship it to the manufacturer to see what is wrong with it.

I don't have any problems with temperatures yet, but I read somewhere that Laptop manufacturers do a very poor job at applying thermal paste to your laptops, so I wanted to know, do I actually need to change it or not.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

Are you asking this specific question because it overheats (or at least does in your opinion)?

no I don't have any overheating issues, but I read somewhere that Laptop manufacturers do a very poor job at applying thermal paste to your laptops, so I wanted to know, do I actually need to change it or not.

8 minutes ago, Infinoz said:

I have a 5 month old HP Omen 15 2020 with Ryzen 5 4600H, should I change the thermal paste on my CPU, will it do any good?

Even if they used crappy quality paste (and the probably didn't, they probably used something decent) you shouldn't need to do that. If you aren't having temperature issues then don't worry about it at all. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Even if they used crappy quality paste (and the probably didn't, they probably used something decent) you shouldn't need to do that. If you aren't having temperature issues then don't worry about it at all. 

cool, thanks

the problem with that is a lot of manufacturers solder the cooling solution down to the board above the cpu which can all but eliminate access to change any pastes. I have very little knowledge about this but can tell you from past experience Dell and HP are two of the heaviest offenders for doing this to the boards. And its like Linus said in a vid clip it doesnt cool the pc just allows it to spread to contact for better thermal connection and conductivity to help dissipate heat. If it looks like the cpu can be unseated from its cooling solution then id wager yes but if it looks soldered to the mainboard id say leave it and send it back to be inspected.

1 minute ago, ProjectBox153 said:

This is 100% correct with it being so new I doubt the paste would be causing the issue. rather its internal fan or cooling solution that the OPs Laptop has installed from its OEM

11 minutes ago, Infinoz said:

cool, thanks

Furthermore you may find depending on where you live and what the laws are, opening your laptop up to replace the thermal paste will void your warranty. 

11 minutes ago, Chris Greene said:

the problem with that is a lot of manufacturers solder the cooling solution down to the board above the cpu which can all but eliminate access to change any pastes. I have very little knowledge about this but can tell you from past experience Dell and HP are two of the heaviest offenders for doing this to the boards.

I have never ever seen a cooling solution soldered down in a laptop, and I have repaired HP and Lenovo laptops for a living for the last 6 years

14 minutes ago, Chris Greene said:

the problem with that is a lot of manufacturers solder the cooling solution down to the board above the cpu which can all but eliminate access to change any pastes. I have very little knowledge about this but can tell you from past experience Dell and HP are two of the heaviest offenders for doing this to the boards. And its like Linus said in a vid clip it doesnt cool the pc just allows it to spread to contact for better thermal connection and conductivity to help dissipate heat. If it looks like the cpu can be unseated from its cooling solution then id wager yes but if it looks soldered to the mainboard id say leave it and send it back to be inspected.

I don't think that's right at all. In all my time repairing computers for a living I've never seen a laptop cooling solution that's somehow soldered to the board. I haven't seen every laptop or every type of laptop, but I've never come across a soldered cooler. It wouldn't make sense for the manufacturer to even do that. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2