A re 

N o

S uch

T hings 

A s

A

F ree

L lunch

Could someone show me how Facebook is taking advantage of these journalists work? How are these newspapers loosing revenue if someone posts a link or sends one in private chat?
Im thinking i can take some of that sweet revenue by making my own newspaper. /s

My personal opinion is that the big old newspaper organisations is loosing a lot of revenue, because they are not as relevant as they been before the digital age. Politicians is pushing for this because they think it will bring in a lot of tax revenue. 😁

Just as the plastic bag tax we have in Sweden, just a money grab by the government.

This is not really a Swedish problem. This news article is just about Sweden preparing to write a law based on an EU directive. The EU, just like other parts of the world like Australia and Canada, has decided that the best way to fix the imbalanced revenue between old school news papers and websites is to make websites pay for linking to news websites.

If you ask me, the law makes no sense. Imagine if Linus had to pay me if I posted a link to my blog on this forum. 

Related to that, there is a clash going on in Germany, between Google and the German press. 

In a nutshell: 

The press claims that when you search something on Google, you don't get a bare link, but also a little snippet from the text so you can see if it's the thing you're looking for. 

This is, technically speaking, quoting from the article. Since Google quotes from their websites, the publishers want money. 

The first round of things was quite predictable. Google lost (German politicians have no idea about the internet and the press lobby is strong). 

Directly after loosing, Google sent out contracts to every publishing house, roughly saying: Allow us to go on doing what we're doing for free or we won't be able to display links to your websites because we ain't paying. 

Google not willing to pay and rather taking down the links is, according to the idiots that thought they'd receive a hefty cheque from Google headquarters each month from now on, blackmail. 

This is in court again and will be for some time. 

I think this is the same scheme here. 

There is this multi billion international corp that pays next to no taxes anywhere and offers its services 'for free' to the end customer. 

Someone wants in on the money and brings up some half baked claim about something the corp does and pushes politicians too old to understand the topic towards making

laws to benefit from. The multi billion intl corp will either use cunning or brute force to get around this, rinse and repeat. 

Dude, this is horrible. All these countries creating laws on mess they don’t know.

This have nothing to do with Sweden.  This is just adoption of national laws to EU article 15. Guess everyone remember article 11 that was discussed a lot during 2019?  Well they more or less just remanded it and fast tracked it!

Several European countries already changed their laws and everyone will before end on 2021.

Personally I don't care but something needs to be done.  After all this is copyrighted material and right now the laws is quite strange, sometimes you can't barely look at copyrighted material without breaking the law other times you can more or less copy everything. So clarification and some kind of equilibrium between in the law is a good thing.  

I know that some will counter with "Fair Use" but thing is that most countries do not have "Fair Use" and those that have are extremely limited compared to US version of Fair Use.  In the International Copyright Law that both EU and US (and a lot of other countries) have signed Fair Use in not included. 

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

I had no idea either

Robert A Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, 1966

So what happens if Google and Facebook just stop doing news? Stop allowing news links? I guess that means those news sites would have their social media profiles taken down? 

How will they push people to their sites if Google no longer links to them in search results? Google could be real pricks and pull their YouTube channels as well. 

We could see rise to YouTube and Facebook journalists, that dont work for the big media. What are they going to do when they are replaced? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

A better way for a news company to thrive is publish news. Not opinion pieces or political rubbish. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

So what happens if Google and Facebook just stop doing news? Stop allowing news links? I guess that means those news sites would have their social media profiles taken down? 

How will they push people to their sites if Google no longer links to them in search results? Google could be real pricks and pull their YouTube channels as well. 

We could see rise to YouTube and Facebook journalists, that dont work for the big media. What are they going to do when they are replaced? 

Most likely? There would be a new law introduced requiring "big tech" to host links to those sites because "freedom"

Edit:

clarified my original "big media" statement

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Most likely? There would be a new law introduced requiring "big media" to host links to those sites because "freedom"

If big media hosts the links, how are we suppose to find them? The media going to create their own search engine? Because if they fuck Google over, Google will just not link to them at all. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

28 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If big media hosts the links, how are we suppose to find them? The media going to create their own search engine? Because if they fuck Google over, Google will just not link to them at all. 

Sorry, I meant "big media" as google, facebook, etc.

Probably something else I could have used but can't think of it off hand.

Edit:

Big Tech is what I should have used, lol

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

Most likely? There would be a new law introduced requiring "big tech" to host links to those sites because "freedom"

Edit:

clarified my original "big media" statement

Old school media and possibly some government people are already accused Google and Facebook of blackmail when they said they would just stop hosting the links if they were required to pay to host them. So Lurick is probably right. 

But as someone else said, it makes no sense. You put taxes on things you want less of. If you want to decrease tobacco use you increase taxes on it. If you want to decrease diesel cars being used then you increases taxes on them.

So introducing a tax on links will just make companies host less links.