5.1 surround sound 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm dual?

Charmeleonnz

Hi there,

So I have a laptop that I have a 5.1 surround sound adapter which converts 5.1 to usb. Which I plug my 5.1 speakers into and I just have one usb cable that goes to my laptop.

I then have a desktop which I would like to also have the sound from the speakers for when I am using my pc. So can you get like a 5.1 surround sound jacks that split in two?

TLDR:

Can I get an adapter that connects to both laptop and pc using 5.1 3.5mm jacks? so like a splitter I guess

Sorry if this is confusing, not sure how to explain it lol

Thanks

A 3.5mm jack comes in two basic configurations:

TRS (Tip-ring-sleeve) [MONO / 1 channel]

TRRS (Tip-ring-ring-sleeve) [STEREO / 2 channels].

You would have to use 3 x 3.5mm TRRS cables to achieve this, along with some clever mixing hardware.

Both of these cables can carry 5.1 channel audio, but it will be mixed into either mono or stereo. So all speakers will play the same thing.

Would a network based solution be applicable? Since they are both computers, use software to stream the audio?

or you could get a USB - 5.1 Channel DAC.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:06 AM, A.Hruskach said:

A 3.5mm jack comes in two basic configurations:

TRS (Tip-ring-sleeve) [MONO / 1 channel]

TRRS (Tip-ring-ring-sleeve) [STEREO / 2 channels].

You would have to use 3 x 3.5mm TRRS cables to achieve this, along with some clever mixing hardware.

Both of these cables can carry 5.1 channel audio, but it will be mixed into either mono or stereo. So all speakers will play the same thing.

Would a network based solution be applicable? Since they are both computers, use software to stream the audio?

or you could get a USB - 5.1 Channel DAC.

So too conplex haha, by the time I get a mixer it's not really worth it. 

Yeah i could do a software solution but sometimes I may have one pc on and not the other, so I would have to pick one and leave it like that. 

I had a look at the 5.1 channel dac it would work but then there is just another item on my desk. 

Thanks for the help, Ill just stick to plugging it into each computer each time lol. Thanks 🙂