How come LTT does not sell electronics or custom pc?

Keysmaster

I was looking for a gaming PC, I saw some build videos and I was really ready to buy parts and build a gaming pc myself, but seeing that even some LTT members can make mistakes (eg. buying parts that are not usable on a certain motherboard) and I am pretty much a beginner; so I gave up, I didn't want to buy all the parts and end up not having the pc work in the end.

And I was sure LTT probably sells custom pc, but to my surprise, they don't. So I ended up buy a gaming pc from walmart, probably at a very high price compared to building it myself.

So I am just curious, why doesn't LTT sell custom pcs?

Because it wouldn't be a profitable business. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

It's an entirely different beast of a business with tons of competition. It's not what LMG does.

Selling PCs and electronics would also cause conflicts of interest and sponsor issues.

Overall, it's not not a wise move.

i mean they could stamp their seal of approval on a 3rd party computer manufacturers pc and collect a sweet comission but I would probably have alot of concerns about their journalistic integrity if they move from reviewing pc's to selling them. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

I feel like people who review pc, have the best idea on which pc people should buy. I don't feel like there is any damage to integrity if LTT review pc and sell pc that they approved.

As for profit, I paid walmart like 700$ for a cheap gaming pc, it probably cost 300-400$ to build it. LTT can just charge the same 700$, and I would definitely buy it from someone who knows what they are doing (LTT) than walmart.

I wouldn't even mind paying more money if it is from LTT.

Just now, Keysmaster said:

LTT can just charge the same 700$, and I would definitely buy it from someone who knows what they are doing (LTT) than walmart.

No one would buy it because people who watch him know their parts and prices.

Doing this would sabotage their reputation.

elephants

16 minutes ago, Keysmaster said:

So I ended up buy a gaming pc from walmart, probably at a very high price compared to building it myself.

Well, if you follow most LTT videos are encouraging you to build the PC yourself, not to buy prebuilds.

Or maybe all the tutorials are not easy to follow? 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well, if you follow most LTT videos are encouraging you to build the PC yourself, not to buy prebuilds.

Or maybe all the tutorials are not easy to follow? 

It is a gaming pc for my business, it is a substantial amount of money, I can follow tutorials but what if I mess up? What if I follow the tutorial and instructions exactly, but one part actually doesn't work the way it should? Maybe one of the CPU pin was snapped off and I didn't notice when I put it on. 

What I am saying is that it is a risk, and I would pay more money to lessen that risk(so I bought one from walmart but I wanted to buy one from LTT instead.) 

Just curious, that's all

Thanks

They tear down and reuse the parts.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

they aren't looking to be system integrators. they want to review tech and enjoy it. if you can build it by yourself, they have plenty of buying guides, and also lots of very instructional videos. and going through something like PCpartpicker can help limit making product mistakes.

they would not have the time to deal with support/warranty.

Selling custom PCs is way more involved than just doing the build and shipping it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Buying prebuilts is extremely expensive, far above the normal price if you'd buy each piece individually.

LTT viewers are mostly PC tech savvy, and they can see overpriced builds from 100km away.

Also if they make any mistake in their PC, it's kind a big deal, as they comment on other manufacturers not doing things properly, so it could be negative PR if any one of the PC's has a defect or wasn't built properly 

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

It would be very hard to make it even remotely profitable with the kind of infrastructure they have and on top of that LMG (as a more journalistic/review entity) would certainly loose credibility on the PC hardware side too if they went into the pre-built game. Loads of people seem to think that when they build a PC on the channel they keep it in that state, they actually tear them all down and re-use the parts over and over again so the amount of hardware they actually have seems to be extremely overestimated. They can make money buy doing the odd PC Collab with another creator, but the ones that they have done have been quite high cost and mainly for extra content on their channel.

At the end of the day they are a successful YouTube channel running a fairly large merch shop on the side for extra income. 

Although most system builders are rip-offs there are a few smaller businesses that tend to charge more reasonable prices unlike you mega sized companies like Dell or HP. In your case it sounds like if you conducted a bit more research and didn't go straight to Walmart you could have gotten much better value. I also was pretty scared when I first built a computer but I did my part research properly beforehand and through taking my time plus following instructions from one of LTTs tutorial vids, I did it in a couple of hours.

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

Do you want your favourite shoe company to make coats just because they recommend what sort of costs to wear with their shoes?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

12 hours ago, Keysmaster said:

As for profit, I paid walmart like 700$ for a cheap gaming pc, it probably cost 300-400$ to build it. LTT can just charge the same 700$, and I would definitely buy it from someone who knows what they are doing (LTT) than walmart.

If it's the same pc and the only difference is the branding, then you'd be kinda a fool for worrying about one but being ok with the other

Buying something for the brand is ok to an extent, but it's not a very wise move

Why isn't ltt selling computers? Because they don't.

They produce videos, not computers

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Actually they will put an old or Healy modified pc up on Cregslist or something but you would have to be in the area and it’s Geary rare.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

19 minutes ago, Frugivore8894 said:

Actually they will put an old or Healy modified pc up on Cregslist or something but you would have to be in the area and it’s Geary rare.

Have they had full systems though? Like other than just mineral oil cooled one? I know they will have parts every now and then.

As for them selling builds, it really is bit more than just building and selling. They would need to order mass amounts of parts, spend time building and troubleshooting on those builds, offer warranty complying to Canadian consumer laws, handle shipping, handle customer service on builds etc. Even having just building as service.

Here's Linus talking about it another thread:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, Rym said:

Buying prebuilts is extremely expensive, far above the normal price if you'd buy each piece individually.

LTT viewers are mostly PC tech savvy, and they can see overpriced builds from 100km away.

yep 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertronpc-blu-print-desktop-amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-128gb-memory-1tb-solid-state-drive-4-x-1tb-solid-state-drives-black-rgb/6360459.p?skuId=6360459