Windows being slow or not working?

thegkevin

Hello, so I have a problem I believe with my Windows 10. The first time I noticed was when I couldn't suddenly click anything on my task bar, nothin opens, or it takes literally 5 minutes to open and there will be 5+ of the window open.

So initially, I can't click the windows start button, file explorer, notifications, audio, time. I had tried searching it up but no one is really having the same problem as me, someone said to go into task manager but I literally cannot open it. Also to let you know, this problem only happens sometimes. I will boot my pc and everything is working flawlessly with speed, then sometimes my screen goes black, my monitor turns off, but the computer is still running, keyboard mouse are lit up, but no response to the computer whatsoever, forcing me to restart. This is often frustrating especially when you're working on an essay and it disappears losing all my work.

So initially, I have two problems, I have 0 clue if they are in any way connected, or why this is happening.

I am currently having the problem right now where I cant open anything on the taskbar, but my computer is still on and I am working.  

First, lets get a full spec list. How familiar are you with the Event Viewer application built into Windows? Can you also share your Startup Items tab in the Task Manager? Are you also familiar with Safe Mode? 

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

First, lets get a full spec list. How familiar are you with the Event Viewer application built into Windows? Can you also share your Startup Items tab in the Task Manager? Are you also familiar with Safe Mode? 

Specs

Msi b360m pro vh

Msi radeon rx570 oc

i7-9700k

h100x corsair cooler

8GBx2 Patriot viper ddr4

thermaltake smart600w 

seagate barracuda 1TB HDD

wd black sn750 500GB SSD

I have never head of Event Viewer Application. I cannot get even get into task manager unless I restart and it hopefully boots normally. I've heard of it, but I don't think I've used it.

At this point, you need to start narrowing things down. First, unplug any absolutely unnecessary USB devices for this troubleshooting time period.  Next, I would assess and hopefully trim down what applications are setup to start at boot. These are found in the Startup tab of the Task Manager. You'll need to reboot and get into Task Manager to find it. Right Click and and hit Disable on anything that you don't find absolutely necessary, at least for this troubleshooting phase. (you can always enable them later).

Reboot again. Open Event Viewer (just hit the windows key and start typing it)  This is essentially a log view app for Windows. Anything and everything that Windows is doing in the background is being logged, most importantly of which is errors. 

On the left hand column, you'll want to expand Windows Logs then click System. Warnings and Errors are worth looking at to see if they say anything obvious. 

If this doesn't really get you anywhere, a Safe Mode boot then just leave the PC running for a bit might tell us a lot. If you don't have this issue in safe mode, its something either done to Windows or installed on or in it that's causing the problem.