Pirating games when you don't have a lot of money [discussion]

Jeroen1322

Hi guys!

So, i'm 15 years old and i have a small "business" (Making websites). I don't have much cliénts so i don't make a lot of money. All the money that i get i put in my computer and food :P 

I don't have a lot of games but the games i have are almost all legal but sometimes i hear about a new awesome game but i don't have the money so i pirate them. (For example: "South Park; The Stick of Truth").

The moment i have the money to buy a game i pirated earlier i buy it so i don't feel guilty. 

What do you think about this "strategy"?

(Sorry for the bad English)

If any mod feels like this belongs in another thread feel free to move it. :) 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Well you say you have the money to buy the game, but since you actualy don't buy the game the developer doesn't get any money. I never pirate games because i think it's dumb (gonna get alot of hate for this), i just save up money for it and buy it later.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

I have done the same as you have, and I will keep doing so, until i have enough money to actually buy the game. For instance, I pirated dishonored, played it all the way through and then I came around the amount of money needed to buy the game on steam for full price, so I bought it, even though some people might say that what we're doing is wrong, I think of it as a way for me to actually know if a game is any good without me wasting money on a game and then regreting it, I will pirate a title (only done it to 3 games thus far) then buy it when money comes my way.

Another example, is something that happened to me a LONG time ago. I got VAC banned from MW2 because my steam account got hacked and someone apperently played the game with cheats. Even though I contacted steam support there was nothing i could do, so me being a MW2 loving kid pirated the title and used 4D1 to connect to servers allowing me to play the actual game. 

So I can put anything here?

I only usually pirate things when i can't watch them otherwise, like some american shows which are just not shown here in the UK. But I always buy my games, most of them through humble bundle.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

i pirate games all the time because i prefer to play the game and buy it if i like it and if i dont i simply delete it and i pirated games till 2012 and i started to buy all the games i loved playing since i had my first computer.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

you don't make enough money to buy the amount of games you want

you have the time to play all those games you pirate

use that time to make more money to buy the amount of games you want

/mindblown

if you have enough time to play through so many games, you can be doing something far more useful/productive with your time. pirating because you're poor is a stupid excuse

you don't make enough money to buy the amount of games you want

you have the time to play all those games you pirate

use that time to make more money to buy the amount of games you want

/mindblown

if you have enough time to play through so many games, you can be doing something far more useful/productive with your time. pirating because you're poor is a stupid excuse

But if i work more i don't have time to play the games :P I know what you're saying and i understand why you think that but please act more mature, and friendly.. This post isn't about starting a flame war but to discus 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

he isnt being immature.You are stealing so why should he show you any more respect than you show the devs of the games you pirate?. And you have no excuse. You just have to ration money. I live of jobseekers(welfare) at the moment and still find money to buy the games i want.  Just be smart and save money then get all your stuff at the steam sales. I have 150+games in my steam library and havent payed more than 50% for all but 3-4 of them.

Basically its wrong, you shouldnt do it and theres no reason too. There is so much media coverage of any game as soon as it releases so the i want to try it argument doesnt really work either as you can go watch half the game before you buy. Also as ive said before with humble bundle and steam sales (and GOG,GMG sales) if you cant find enough money to buy games then what are you doing with your money?

he isnt being immature.You are stealing so why should he show you any more respect than you show the devs of the games you pirate?. And you have no excuse. You just have to ration money. I live of jobseekers(welfare) at the moment and still find money to buy the games i want.  Just be smart and save money then get all your stuff at the steam sales. I have 150+games in my steam library and havent payed more than 50% for all but 3-4 of them.

Basically its wrong, you shouldnt do it and theres no reason too. There is so much media coverage of any game as soon as it releases so the i want to try it argument doesnt really work either as you can go watch half the game before you buy. Also as ive said before with humble bundle and steam sales (and GOG,GMG sales) if you cant find enough money to buy games then what are you doing with your money?

As i stated in my post i always buy the game when i have the money, so the devs get what they deserve.

Just make sure you give something back to the industry, whatever you can afford...

I choose to support the Developers, if i dont have the money i dont buy they game.

Unlike allot of Media's Game devs dont actually get much of the profits.

Most Studios will only get 5% of what you pay, Pirating a game is more a kick in the nuts to developers than any other media.

Character artist in the Games industry.

I've pirated games before but not in the last couple years or so. Now I usually just get games that are cheap from HumbleBundles or Steam sales.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

?

When it comes to physical Copies its about 5%, also valve/Steam takes 30% of what you make its 

When it comes to physical Copies its about 5%, also valve/Steam takes 30% of what you make its 

I don't know how much Steam takes but if they take 30% as you say, then that's 70% to the dev unless they are under another publisher.

Any source on the only 5% figure for retail?

I don't know how much Steam takes but if they take 30% as you say, then that's 70% to the dev unless they are under another publisher.

Any source on the only 5% figure for retail?

Look at the cost of publishing, they take around 40% then Advertisement and maintenance.

I might be wrong but when i was in college i did a paper on it and worked out to be an average of around 5%, The cost of printing disks would of gotten cheaper, and games have gone up in cost so :| 

But if i work more i don't have time to play the games :P

Work hard, play hard. Sucks for the immediate time-frame, but rocks in the later. There are always ways of making money if you really want to. I worked on a Strawberry farm/as an actor/musician/stage hand when I was 15/16 to fund my gaming habits.

I cannot support this method of playing/buying games. I purchase the games I am interested in, even if they end up as duds, AFTER I can afford them.

Another way to look at this on a larger scale is the example of a car:

You like a car, and want it, but can't afford it. You decide to steal it, drive it around for a while, then walk into a dealership and offer them the purchase price of the car. Is all hunky-dory? Nada.

It's really a question about morals, even if it might not seem so. I am not willing pursue this method of obtaining games because it goes against my morals, but you might not have the same morals as I do, so you may see it as alright.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

I would advise that you do not pirate games. It just creates a whole host of legal loopholes and it getting a game will feel more rewarding if you take the time to save up for it. Or you could just wait for a steam sale and buy all of your games then. The choice is yours. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

I only demo pirated games for a few hours then i remove them, i did this to X rebirth for example, now im waiting for a sale on it.

Im not proud of this, but the reviews were so mixed on it.

Wish more devs made demoes to there games, even a time limiter would be fine for me.

But yeah i rarly do this, and i agree its bad.

No. That's still piracy and still a negative impact on the industry. If you can't afford a game then save up to buy it. If you can't afford to buy it because you have other responsibilities then gaming probably isn't going to be a priority so you can wait for it to be cheaper. If you can't get a job because you're too young then save up the money that you do get and you'll learn both how to save and how to manage your money.

I don't care for excuses when it comes to piracy. If you want it then pay for it. Its basically that simple when it comes to piracy vs paying.

Wether you play it or not while not buying it does not do any harm to society or economy.

Unless the devs are going bankrupt and are actually good.

Making profit to teck companies that keep the competition going like AMD is far more usefull.

So buy your computer parts, no need to feed EA. now if you buy from rich comapnies such as Intel your better off buying games especially from indie devs!

Yeah bro, indie devs on the other sid eof the EA exemple. (and of course call of....I dont have time for that shit)

Because why not MF #liberal :   Humanity, Society and population life quality > principles

You guys be hating with your limited micro economy views.

LOST TALE brings in the MF MACRO economy

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Hi guys!

So, i'm 15 years old and i have a small "business" (Making websites). I don't have much cliénts so i don't make a lot of money. 

No way me too, heres my current project http://thelittleprograms.com/home.html it currently doesnt work right with bigger displays such as 2560 x 1080 but its still in beta. Its only in like the second day of development (I put about 12 hours+ into it so far so thats why its a bit rubbish at the moment)

A long time ago I used to pirate games then I had kids and felt I was not setting a good example and stopped. I also can say that ending up with viruses and all sorts of other crap and pc issues from using pirated games isn't missed at all and should be more motivation for people to not bother doing it. I also have to say that games since then have gotten way cheaper and there are way more sales. Seriously I play pc games when I can afford to buy them now and download zero pirated games.

Now in regards to society and how it works and money being involved all I have to say is NWO and everyone should have the right to play games. Commerce needs to die.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I pirate games because I don't care whether or not the developer gets my money. If I really like the game I will buy it though. I've done that with Dark Souls, Xcom: EU, and Far Cry 3.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM